.357 vs 45acp more stopping power? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > .357 vs 45acp more stopping power?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shoobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Commiefornia USA
Posts: 1,552
Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
The ".357" is not a handgun. It is a caliber. Many manufacturers make handguns chambered in .357 Magnum, both wheel guns and semi-autos. There are at least two semi-autos that I know of. One of which is a 1911.

All that being said, it was simply a semantics issue.

Please show me where you're getting your information that .357 Magnum is overpowered for self defense?

For one, it is a handgun caliber first and foremost. Therefore it is inherently UNDER powered, as are all handgun calibers.

For two, why do we want a caliber that is UNDER powered in a defensive situation? Wouldn't we want every advantage?

I'm not trying to start a caliber war. I'm simply trying to understand your logic.
Wow! Talk about nit picking ... I am guessing the kitty peepee'ed into your cornflakes and you did not notice until maybe too late?
__________________
Shoobee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Wow! Talk about nit picking ... I am guessing the kitty peepee'ed into your cornflakes and you did not notice until maybe too late?
Don't like cats and don't have any cornflakes unfortunately.

However, I just get all huffy when people start saying some calibers are better than others (in regards to .357, 9mm, .40, .357 Sig, .45). They are all adequate for defensive purposes against humans. There are certain groups of people that would be better served with specific calibers or platforms or capacity requirements. But that doesn't mean that those calibers or platforms or capacities are "better."

Its just a fools argument. 9mm and .45 ACP don't have any distinct advantage over .40 S&W or .357 Magnum or .357 Sig. The inverse is also true.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,840
Liked 1226 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 528

Default

Between the choices that the OP listed, I'd pick neither.

I wouldn't want a .357 revolver with less than four inches of barrel. Great balls of fire!

A subcompact .45 ACP doesn't make a lot of sense, either.

Between the two I'd take the one with the higher capacity.

__________________
kbd512 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shoobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Commiefornia USA
Posts: 1,552
Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Don't like cats and don't have any cornflakes unfortunately.

However, I just get all huffy when people start saying some calibers are better than others (in regards to .357, 9mm, .40, .357 Sig, .45). They are all adequate for defensive purposes against humans. There are certain groups of people that would be better served with specific calibers or platforms or capacity requirements. But that doesn't mean that those calibers or platforms or capacities are "better."

Its just a fools argument. 9mm and .45 ACP don't have any distinct advantage over .40 S&W or .357 Magnum or .357 Sig. The inverse is also true.
Guns and calibers have each gone through their own evolutions in history.

Of them all, the 9mm is probably the ideal for the civilian world, and the 45ACP is probably ideal for the military world.

Besides these two, maybe the 380 is the 3rd best -- a spy gun for subtle concealed carry.

Besides these 3, I do indeed believe based on my own experience that all other guns have come and gone and they are inferior.

The only exception being the heavy big hunting revolvers -- for hunting -- actually as a backup while hunting dangerous game with a scoped bolt action rifle.

And also an exception the 22LR for competition and plinking on the range.

Sorry if I must disagree. I won't lie to the O/P and I don't want you to deceive him either. Perhaps we should stop repeating ourselves to each other.
__________________
Shoobee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shoobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Commiefornia USA
Posts: 1,552
Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Between the choices that the OP listed, I'd pick neither.

I wouldn't want a .357 revolver with less than four inches of barrel. Great balls of fire!

A subcompact .45 ACP doesn't make a lot of sense, either.

Between the two I'd take the one with the higher capacity.
Indeed -- a 9mm with even higher capacity would likely make even more sense. But the 45ACP is not a bad choice if one can handle the size and the recoil.
__________________
Shoobee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Don't like cats and don't have any cornflakes unfortunately.

However, I just get all huffy when people start saying some calibers are better than others (in regards to .357, 9mm, .40, .357 Sig, .45). They are all adequate for defensive purposes against humans. There are certain groups of people that would be better served with specific calibers or platforms or capacity requirements. But that doesn't mean that those calibers or platforms or capacities are "better."

Its just a fools argument. 9mm and .45 ACP don't have any distinct advantage over .40 S&W or .357 Magnum or .357 Sig. The inverse is also true.
JW, give it up. he doesn't have the first clue as to what he's talking about and never has once showed any sources yet to date that support his comments. hi head isn't grounded in reality. he lives in his SHTF fantasy world.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
5
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #27
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,329
Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Default

The .357 Magnum is the best man stopping handgun caliber (based on actual shootings). The 125 gr JHP is more than adequate for serious defensive work. Even from a 3" barrel is works.

The .45 ACP is a fine caliber in its own right. JHP ammo may not expand well from the reduced velocity yielded by the short barrel.

They both get the job done, in different ways. It is akin to comparing an LT-1 Corvette to a 3/4 ton pickup with turbo diesel. They get you from point A to point B.

Claiming the .357 will overpenetrate a body is disengenuous. What body? A straight frontal shot on a 140 pound Herion addict or an angled shot on a 350 pound lard azz? ALWAYS prepare for the worst case scenario, you wll never be dissapointed.

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is offline  
5
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Guns and calibers have each gone through their own evolutions in history.

Of them all, the 9mm is probably the ideal for the civilian world, and the 45ACP is probably ideal for the military world.

Besides these two, maybe the 380 is the 3rd best -- a spy gun for subtle concealed carry.

Besides these 3, I do indeed believe based on my own experience that all other guns have come and gone and they are inferior.

The only exception being the heavy big hunting revolvers -- for hunting -- actually as a backup while hunting dangerous game with a scoped bolt action rifle.

And also an exception the 22LR for competition and plinking on the range.

Sorry if I must disagree. I won't lie to the O/P and I don't want you to deceive him either. Perhaps we should stop repeating ourselves to each other.
Agree to disagree. You're wrong, I'm wrong. Really I'm not wrong though because I'm not claiming anything over-the-top, like a .380 being a good "spy" round (James Bond much?).

In any case. I can see when to back out for the sake of everyone's sanity. Good day.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
JW, give it up. he doesn't have the first clue as to what he's talking about and never has once showed any sources yet to date that support his comments. hi head isn't grounded in reality. he lives in his SHTF fantasy world.
Fair enough. Done. :-)
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kryptar19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,754
Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1917

Default

Why not go with the M&P .357sig compact??
It is a good compromise with energy closer to the .357mag and capacity closer to the .45acp.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766228_-1_757956_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

__________________
kryptar19 is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Better stopping power 40 cal or 357? Nat_Turner Glock Forum 14 08-25-2012 05:11 AM
Mag capacity or stopping power JMAtactical Semi-Auto Handguns 31 07-10-2012 04:33 AM
stopping power. 10mm vs .40 vs .357 Sig vs .45acp Broke124 Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 21 12-27-2011 03:33 AM
STOPPING POWER of a .380 ..... LONGHAIR Semi-Auto Handguns 20 07-07-2011 05:34 AM
I Need a CC - But I NEED MORE STOPPING POWER!! Dillinger 1911 Forum 27 05-24-2010 12:28 PM