.357 vs 45acp more stopping power? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > .357 vs 45acp more stopping power?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2636 Times on 1836 Posts
Likes Given: 1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARlover View Post
Looking at the ruger sp101 carrys 5rds .357 or something like it
Or
Glock 30s with 10rds of .45acp
What do you think is a better option for EDC?? Attachment 141742Attachment 141743

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
The one you are more likely to practice with, and enjoy it.

Given the smallish SP frame, odds are it will be the Glock. The 357 Mag is powerful and somewhat nostalgic to some, but the 45 ACP has plenty of smack, and the 10+1 capacity makes it even more reassuring.

(Saying that as a practitioner, no allegiance)

Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2130 Times on 1465 Posts
Likes Given: 793

You don't have to punish yourself with a 357 mag to learn to shoot small frame pistols well. I never could shoot mouse pistols well. When my health started going downhill I knew I had to learn. I bought a JA-22 and practiced with it until I could shoot it very well. Right now any small pistol I pick up I can shoot it well. Learning to shoot micro pistols well helps you with larger pistols as well, all your faults are magnified by the small pistol.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 04-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #13

Liked 280 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 31

The 357 mag can generate way more energy on and in the target but you need a 4" barrel to show what the 357 is capable of and even then recovery from a 125gr premium defense load is slower than with a standard pistol cartridge in a 16oz pistol . Is the glock the best or only choice in what ever cartridge you choice?? That's your call. Hard for most people to conceal a glock well all the hours your away from your home year round with out a jacket/coat on. It also matters what cartridge and pistol you can control best. Maybe a 12 shot 9mm+P makes better sense most of the time.

Most the ammo test !! also cover a very small number of loads from a limited number of barrel lengths and tend to look worthless to some of use.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
While the 357 is the most accurate handgun (pistol or revolver) in the world, it is over powered for self defense.
The ".357" is not a handgun. It is a caliber. Many manufacturers make handguns chambered in .357 Magnum, both wheel guns and semi-autos. There are at least two semi-autos that I know of. One of which is a 1911.

All that being said, it was simply a semantics issue.

Please show me where you're getting your information that .357 Magnum is overpowered for self defense?

For one, it is a handgun caliber first and foremost. Therefore it is inherently UNDER powered, as are all handgun calibers.

For two, why do we want a caliber that is UNDER powered in a defensive situation? Wouldn't we want every advantage?

I'm not trying to start a caliber war. I'm simply trying to understand your logic.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 04-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I have a new thread modding ccw you all helped soo much thx I got a g30s

Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3085 Times on 1546 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Stopping power? Everything from 9x19 on up is adequate (when discussing handguns.) Some options are superior to others, but they will all work if the operator does their job.

Have you fired these choices?
SP101 (or other small .357 mag revolvers) - You seriously need to test drive one of these before you decide it's for you. They can be quite a handful. Not saying it's an insurmountable issue, but it certainly shouldn't be ignored. With full strength ,.357 loads, I'd bet that it's not a lot of fun after about 10 rounds. Of course +p .38 special is a legit option, but it kind of defeats the point of the .357 chambering.
Glock 30 - Not my cup 'o' tea, I don't care for the triggers or the ergos. However one would be foolish to ignore the practicality of it. Again, test drive: Small .45s can be a handful too.
Small 1911 - Great if your budget and tastes run that way. That said, I will admit to not being a big fan of Kimber. Suffice it to say that as 1911s get smaller, the chance that they will have problems increases. With this in mind, the more important a good warranty (1 year) and solid customer service (spotty rep. Ask about their 500 round break-in) is. Opinions vary of course.

FWIW, my carry options consist of a Dan Wesson CCO, A Charter Arms Undercover (.38special) and a XD40SC. Also note that if I were doing it again, I would probably buy the XD9SC instead.

IMHO, get the firearm that best fits your needs and worry less about caliber.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 04-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #17

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Either caliber is adequate, as is 9mm, 357Sig and 40S&W. Only five rounds though is a worry.

Good advice in this thread, I'd shop around and handle anything that looks good for you. You'll get a smaller semiauto pistol for CCW if you consider 9mm, 357Sig and 40S&W. Glock isn't a bad choice, take a look at the G26 and G27.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 04-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #18

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

I find a Simple striker fired handgun to be quite shootable. I find .45 to be more shootable with regard to getting on target and controlling recoil than a .357 mag. I love both calibers, but in my mind each has thier own place.

Glocks can be a bit controvesial. I used to hate them, but they have grown on me. I like the simplicity, the low bore axis, and the finish and polymer cosntruction for carry purposes. I can "drive" a glock more effectively from shot to shot, and target to target, better than I can a magnum revolver, (and better than some non magnum autos with higher bore axis, and less predictable triggers). Some folks describe a Glock trigger as mushy. I find after repeated shooting that it actually stacks pretty predictably and has a well defined and fairly short reset for follow up shots.

For a target gun, range gun, woods gun and gun to teach new shooters with, I think a good .357 mag revolver is an excellent tool. for carry, and competition, I like a Glock, and like them in 9mm and .45.

I have a new entry in my collection but have only been doing my own hands on evaluation with it for a couple of weeks, and only one 240 round range session. That pistol is a S&W M&P in .40 S&W. The grip shape is fantastic for reducing felt recoil. the low bore axis is the same as a Glock. the sight radius is similar, and the trigger design is similar, but not executed the same way as in a Glock, and there are felt "ticks" through the trigger pull as various angles of the trigger bar engage the sear and the striker block. This contributes to it's reputation for having what is described as a "crunchy" trigger pull. the trigger reset is a bit longer than a Glock, but not by much, and the only complaint is that it is less distinct. The trigger can be improved by use of replacement parts or a competent gunsmith who can radius and readjust some of the engagment surfaces. Also, comparing a Glock and M&P side by side the area of the grip where the trigger guard meets the grip is not undercut as deeply on the M&P, so a Glock sits just a bit deeper in the hand than the M&P. However, for the .40 cal pistols, I still find the M&P more comfortable to shoot, with regard to the area that engages the web of the hand.

So, the M&P could be another contender, worth conideration. With regard to safeties, the M&P can be had with a thumb safety, or without.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2070 Times on 1224 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARlover View Post
Looking at the ruger sp101 carrys 5rds .357 or something like it
Or
Glock 30s with 10rds of .45acp
What do you think is a better option for EDC?? Attachment 141742Attachment 141743

LOL! Here we go again!!!!
There is no such thing as 'stopping power'!
To address your question.
If you want to carry a 45 DO NOT carry one with a bbl shorter than the Commander length, 4 1/4 inches, as you are taking a 'low' velocity round and reducing the velocity to a point where it will not produce the terminal ballistics you want. If you elect to carry a 'small' semi-auto I recommend you carry one in 9 m/m as it is the most efficient short bbl round today. It will retain 1000+ fps even with a bbl in the 3 inch range.
The 357 mag will retain enough of the velocity (125 gr JHP 1225+fps) REQUIRED to maintain an acceptable terminal ballistics to cause the wounds needed to 'stop the fight' even with a 2 1/4 inch bbl.
The SP101 has enough mass (weight) to handle the recoil of the magnum rounds and if you carry a 'speed strip' it will more than meet the needs of civilian self-defense or LEO off duty carry.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 04-10-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #20

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
LOL! Here we go again!!!!
There is no such thing as 'stopping power'!
To address your question.
If you want to carry a 45 DO NOT carry one with a bbl shorter than the Commander length, 4 1/4 inches, as you are taking a 'low' velocity round and reducing the velocity to a point where it will not produce the terminal ballistics you want. If you elect to carry a 'small' semi-auto I recommend you carry one in 9 m/m as it is the most efficient short bbl round today. It will retain 1000+ fps even with a bbl in the 3 inch range.
The 357 mag will retain enough of the velocity (125 gr JHP 1225+fps) REQUIRED to maintain an acceptable terminal ballistics to cause the wounds needed to 'stop the fight' even with a 2 1/4 inch bbl.
The SP101 has enough mass (weight) to handle the recoil of the magnum rounds and if you carry a 'speed strip' it will more than meet the needs of civilian self-defense or LEO off duty carry.
I agree -- this is good advice.

For a 357 *caliber* you would likely want to try the opposite -- get the SHORTEST barrel you can find on one in order to REDUCE the *muzzle energy* (I'm trying to avoid all future semantics issues here -- in order to discourage nit picking ...). However in that case you might end up with TOO LIGHT a handgun (pistol or revolver) in 357 *caliber* and therefore your recoil may become unmanageable or very unpleasant.

A 9mm or a 45ACP will probably be your best bets.