.357 vs 45acp more stopping power? - Page 12
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

.357 vs 45acp more stopping power?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 137 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
shooting through a door without knowing exactly what's on the other side is a very poor choice.

it's not smart or safe and could get you into serious legal trouble if you happened to shoot the wrong person.

isn't one of the rules of safe shooting knowing what your target is?
Well there went all the testosterone out of the thread; guess we'll be reduced to discussing the facts now
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-16-2014, 04:17 AM   #112
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
Well there went all the testosterone out of the thread; guess we'll be reduced to discussing the facts now
i guess i should refrain from being logical and practical, huh?
JRDallas Likes This 
Old 06-16-2014, 04:19 AM   #113

Liked 137 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i guess i should refrain from being logical and practical, huh?
No point in confusing the issue with facts
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-16-2014, 04:22 AM   #114
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
No point in confusing the issue with facts
okay! i'll leave the facts out next time!
JRDallas Likes This 
Old 06-16-2014, 04:25 AM   #115

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Once you get used to using a revolver the act of pulling back the hammer puts the barrel back on target..
I have always shot better with a revolver....but never looked at it as you described it. And I think that it is 100% accurate, and when thinking about it I certainly have to agree.....

Old 06-16-2014, 04:35 AM   #116
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Even when I shoot a 9mm I can feel the slide rebounding like a second recoil. If you shoot a 10mm or 357sig in a semi auto you are not going to get off aimed shots a lot faster than a shooter with a revolver. Once you get used to using a revolver the act of pulling back the hammer puts the barrel back on target. Just because a gun is a semi auto doesn't mean it is going to give you a tremendous speed advantage when all things are equal.

But some do feel the Difference John! I just know I'm going to get a second shot on Target Faster and be better accurate with a 9 then I will with any 45 or Magnum revolver. I've also gone to rounds (9mm) with less Penetration then most Ball( I have noticed that the nine Gr. Of weight between 115 & 124 do make a difference. The 124's didn't get through as much wet paper as the 115's do...while Most HP's will blow a huge hole out of the back of just one phonebook, or lodge itself deep into multiple books pressed together..

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #117

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Beg to Differ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Both of those calibers, especially the .357 in a small revolver, are going to recoil a lot and make it difficult to hit anything in fast rapid fire at any distance beyond 10 feet. With a smaller caliber you can stretch that distance out a bit if you basically empty your gun in a fight. Two hits with a 9mm or .38 is better than one hit of a .45 or .357 any day of the week. Not saying that .45 and .357 aren't great calibers, they just take more practice and slowing down between shots.
maybe not beg, but, small revolvers will kick like hell with most 357 loads some 38 especially +p. 45acp in an auto feeder, because of the recoil spring, not so much. I am recoil sensitive and I shoot SA XDs 3" 4- 7 round magazines, a 5 rounder. Practice double taps and emptying lickity split 230gr. No problemo. Have not tried +p

Old 06-17-2014, 12:40 AM   #118

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

wanna bet on that? :-) Top hands hit faster with the .45 than anything else. .11 second repeat hits, actually, at times, on 10" disks at 10 yds. And that has been so since the'80's, with Brian Enos and Robby Leatham. the problem is, they are doing this with big, heavy guns that nobody would ccw for 100 hours per week. However, you don't need to be firing at 10 yds, either. So a lighter, more compact .45 can be used.

Anybody who "thinks" that an SA revolver is "just as fast" doesn't know what REAL repeat hit speed is. Look in my thread "think you're good" and see Miculek getting repeat hits with a 1911 3x as fast as you can do the same with your SA revolver, guaranteed.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #119

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

only a few seconds, eh? when you are being shot "only" 4x per second, by each enemy? and I bet those auto users weren't using 18 rd mags, either! :-) they were reloading 2x. the top men can get 18 hits in 3 seconds with no mag changes. Jerry can only get 12 hits in that time with a revolver, and he can't always manage that, either.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 AM   #120

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by uanda View Post
wanna bet on that? :-) Top hands hit faster with the .45 than anything else. .11 second repeat hits, actually, at times, on 10" disks at 10 yds. And that has been so since the'80's, with Brian Enos and Robby Leatham. the problem is, they are doing this with big, heavy guns that nobody would ccw for 100 hours per week. However, you don't need to be firing at 10 yds, either. So a lighter, more compact .45 can be used.

Anybody who "thinks" that an SA revolver is "just as fast" doesn't know what REAL repeat hit speed is. Look in my thread "think you're good" and see Miculek getting repeat hits with a 1911 3x as fast as you can do the same with your SA revolver, guaranteed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uanda View Post
only a few seconds, eh? when you are being shot "only" 4x per second, by each enemy? and I bet those auto users weren't using 18 rd mags, either! :-) they were reloading 2x. the top men can get 18 hits in 3 seconds with no mag changes. Jerry can only get 12 hits in that time with a revolver, and he can't always manage that, either.
We are not talking about sa revolvers, you clearly weren't paying attention. But since you brought it up, Have you seen Miculek shooting the Ruger blackhawk, an sa revolver with a swing out cylinder? Faster than most can with a 1911, INCLUDING reloading. Now back to our scheduled program....
You seem very new and in need of some education, this is a great place for it, we all started out at the beginning as well.
Axxe55 Likes This