.357 ccw - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > .357 ccw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolshark13 View Post
first off, im a little over a year away from my ccw, but i believe it is important to work with the guns you plan on carrying so that you are familiar with them. i have a sig p226 that i plan on carrying during fall/winter when i can wear a coat or sweat shirt to hide my shoulder holster. during the summer months though, i would really like to carry a .357 revolver. i currently have a .357 mag s&w with a 6" barrell that i love shooting. my question is, what size .357, and what maker of .357 would you recommend for ccw. i want to start looking around at different lengths, and different manufacturers to find one that could suit me on a day to day basis. thanks.

poolshark

Have you looked at the new Ruger SP101 in the new .327 Mag? It has phenomenal ballistics and much less recoil. It also chambers .32 long cartridges. Smaller and lighter than the .357.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #12

Take your pick -

My 357 magnum S&W 686, (2 1/2" full lugged barrel)

My wife's 357 magnum Ruger SP-101, (3" full lugged barrel)

Don't make the mistake of thinking that you can't hit with a short barrel. I know plenty of guys who are absolutely deadly with one!

PS: Among others, Chorst294 gave you very good advice.

Also, be aware that it's really hard to get decent speedloaders for any of the + 1 capacity revolvers. (I, only, use or recommend Safariland.)

Me, personally? I wouldn't wear a SmartCarry holster - Way, the Hell, too slow for serious work!

Last edited by G21.45; 08-04-2008 at 01:44 AM.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #13
DKA

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Like so many of the others, I carry S&W 65-2 357 with 4" barrel.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Old 08-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=G21.45;34690] Don't make the mistake of thinking that you can't hit with a short barrel. I know plenty of guys who are absolutely deadly with one!

Youare 100% right G21! Years ago before I ever shot a smokeless powder handgun, a friend of mine took me to an indoor range and we shot his S&W Mod.66 in .357Mag. The gun had I believe a 1 3/4" barrel. I was stunned when I was hitting the target within a 6" circle. He wouldn't sell me the gun...and now they are selling for more than they did new - if you can find one.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-04-2008, 02:54 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default RL is Right!

I am a .357 mag guy all the way...as well as a m1911 guy too. My TRP absolutely RULES. But what I actually carry everyday is my Ruger sp101 chambered in .357 mag.

Its really concealable, amazingly strong and durable (so heavy for a snubbie that the felt recoil is not really noticable) and packs a whallop.

So, do you really want a grown up carry piece? There you have it.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I like my old Ruger Security Six 4". Not much bigger than the SP101, but much easier to shoot and I like to be able to adjust the sights to suit the ammo rather than search through brands and bullet weights for something that shoots to point-of-aim. (Remington 110 gr HPs seem to do it in the SP101, for me)

Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I carried a 4" GP-100 .357 for some time, reliable, easy to use, fun to shoot too...

Old 03-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #18

My summer gun is a Taurus 605. 5 shots of 357 with a 2" barrel. It;s meaty enough to control recoil, but small enough to stick in a IWB holster and be completely invisible. You could easily carry it wearing shorts and a tank top and no one would know.

It's also WAY cheaper than the Ruger or S&W alternatives. I do LOVE the Ruger SP101 though. That is a fine revolver.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Besides barrel length, you need to consider frame size. Something like a S&W 686 is going to be more difficult to conceal than an SP101 or a S&W 640, even if you get a 2" barrel. IMHO, if you're going with a full size service revolver, get it with a 4" barrel.

However, if you're looking at smaller weapons a 2" to 3" barrel would be better. I think the 3" SP101 is fantastic, too bad I can't find them here. There are several 3" S&W's as well.

Unless weight is an absolute priority, I would go with a steel framed gun. They are much more enjoyable to shoot. I can spend all day at the gun range with my S&W 640 (which would be a good choice for pocket carry).

Try to find a gun with fixed sights and a concealed hammer (or a bobbed hammer, or an enclosed hammer like S&W Bodyguards).

Old 03-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #20

S&W Mod. 60, .357 mag. I bobbed the hammer so it doesn't stick me in the gut on IWB. So it's DOA. Works fine for me. I plan on being about five feet away when I pull the trigger. Five shots, I want to be sure they hit a vital area.