.357 ccw
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > .357 ccw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .357 ccw

first off, im a little over a year away from my ccw, but i believe it is important to work with the guns you plan on carrying so that you are familiar with them. i have a sig p226 that i plan on carrying during fall/winter when i can wear a coat or sweat shirt to hide my shoulder holster. during the summer months though, i would really like to carry a .357 revolver. i currently have a .357 mag s&w with a 6" barrell that i love shooting. my question is, what size .357, and what maker of .357 would you recommend for ccw. i want to start looking around at different lengths, and different manufacturers to find one that could suit me on a day to day basis. thanks.

poolshark

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #2

In my opinion, I'd stick with a quality S&W or Ruger 2-3 inch barrel .357. Recoil in scandium model smiths can be pretty intense. The Ruger SP101 is built like a tank and the extra weight will help reduce felt recoil. I'd go to a gun store with a large selection and handle all of them. Find out which one fits you best.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorst294 View Post
In my opinion, I'd stick with a quality S&W or Ruger 2-3 inch barrel .357. Recoil in scandium model smiths can be pretty intense. The Ruger SP101 is built like a tank and the extra weight will help reduce felt recoil. I'd go to a gun store with a large selection and handle all of them. Find out which one fits you best.

I agree with Chorst294 100% but I also might add up to 4" barrel

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

For concealed carry 3-4" barrel, stainless steel, lowprofile/snag resistant sights. SP101 is a good choice. My personal preference is the S&W M-65 3". I sandblasted mine for a satin gray look. Added a S&W DAO hammer and voila! Simple, robust, accurate, controllable and concealable. The only downside is it is a bit heavy. The scandium models are SWEET, but they are 3-4 times as many $'s. One can find 65's on the used market, cheap (abt $200)

Old 05-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My choice is the PD 329. That is the scadium framed .44 mag. I do not recomand it to any one though as recoil is intense and unless you like recoil you`ll on shot this gun once in your life. 6 in. is pleant long, but if you like the gun and don`t mind carring it you have what you need. I have a friend that carries a .41 mag. with a 6 in. barrel. It`s what you like, not someone else.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 05-17-2008, 03:14 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for all the input. looks like i might have to make some trips farther away than my local gun store to check out all the options, but hey, at least i got a year to do it right?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:10 AM   #7
JBB

I would go with the SP-101 Ruger. Mine is one of my favorite shooters. The recoil is not unpleasant and it could be concealed easily in a smart carry or a similar rig.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:32 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
I would go with the SP-101 Ruger. Mine is one of my favorite shooters. The recoil is not unpleasant and it could be concealed easily in a smart carry or a similar rig.
youre talking about those smart carry rigs that keeps the gun by your crotch correct? it seems like those could be hard to get at if you wear a belt, or do you just loosen your belt enough that you can get your hand in to your gun with no issue?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #9

if you want a 357 ...look up the ruger sp101..not too heavy...also you should look the specs on the new ruger 327 magnum..ballistics for the speers gold dot are not much less than the 357 and the 327 mag. has 6 rounds instead of 5

Old 08-03-2008, 01:02 AM   #10

Why not consider a S&W 686 Plus 3"? You get 7 rounds with it!