2nd magazine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 2nd magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 2nd magazine

I just got a .380. It's a Sig Sauer P238 with a pocket holster and a licence to carry it. You guys that pocket carry, where and how do you carry a second magazine? Are you concerned about moisture? Or do you forget the second mag and figure the one in the gun is enough?

p1160004-.jpg  

HAVE FUN

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not to steal your thread but how does that work for pocket carry? Does it want to catch on anything when you draw?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Beautiful lil pistol!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Not to steal your thread but how does that work for pocket carry? Does it want to catch on anything when you draw?
That is a De Santies Nemesis holster but it does not fit the Sig very well. It was made for thinner guns like the Ruger LCP. I ordered a leather pocket holster from Sig that is made for the P238. It should work a lot better. I have no problem getting the gun out of my jeens front pocket but the holster wants to come with it.

HAVE FUN

Old 01-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I've seen pocket holsters for extra mags.

Personally I'd just slip one or two in a back pocket.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #6

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Hey Bigtiller, how do you like that P238? I've been looking at those for a while now. Held one a few times but haven't shot one yet...

Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #7

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I've seen pocket holsters for extra mags.

Personally I'd just slip one or two in a back pocket.
I usually carry a G26 and just put an extra mag in my front pocket. The primers on my ammo are sealed, so normal moisture (light sweat or light rain) doesn't concern me much.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
Hey Bigtiller, how do you like that P238? I've been looking at those for a while now. Held one a few times but haven't shot one yet...
I really like it. It comes up in just the right spot. And it is just heavy enough that it is not painfull to shoot 50 rounds. Infact it is a lot of fun. The first thing I did when I got it home was to read the manual and clean and oil it. Some guns have a lot of grease in them when new but this Sig had just a little bit extra oil in it for my liking but overall I was very happy with it.

HAVE FUN

Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

I always carry at least two mags. Mag holders or in back pocket (but be careful with sitting down, you could bend the mag lips).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Many semi-auto failures can be traced to magazine problems. It is a very good idea to carry at least one spare. With a bad magazine you may only be able to get off one shot. Not to start another thread on the effectiveness, or lack thereof, of the .380, they are not known to be effective fight stoppers. Chances are great that multiple rounds will be required to stop an attacker.

I use a clip-on pouch from Western Case Co. to carry a spare mag on my belt. http://www.westerncasecompany.com/ Western Case makes carry pouches & etc. for small electronics, some of which work well for firearms accessories. In fact Western Case can be found at many Gun Shows on the west coast. They have velcro closures and very strong steel belt clips for secure carry. Many other mag pouches are on the internet.

As pointed out above, it is important to protect the feed lips of your magazines if you want them to work. That may require a small adjustment to your wardrobe.

As for the "one in the gun" being enough, how do you know? There is no way you can know what you will need to defend yourself. We all have scenarios in mind, but no one can know for sure. Most gun fights are over in seconds with two-three shots fired. Most, but not all. Will every shot you fire hit a vital organ, or completely miss your target?

When I am on duty, I not only carry a spare mag(s), but a backup gun with a reload for it as well.

As Clint Smith (Thunder Ranch) says; "Two is one, and one is none."

May I suggest a good self defense, gun fighting school?
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved