22lr vs 22wmr

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 22lr vs 22wmr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default 22lr vs 22wmr

Not to get onto the topic of a 22 for SD, but my wife has been carrying for quite a while now and she chooses a Walther P-22. However, as all of you will agree there are some concerns with that. First of course being that it's a 22. Secondly the fact that rimmed cartridges in a semi auto tend to present feeding issues. I haven't seen any mishaps with the Walther yet, plus I make sure it has CCI Stingers in it, but there's always a worry in the back of my mind that if and when she truely needs it, it will fail. Maybe I'm just too pesimistic. Although the worries I have, I would still prefer her to carry a 22 than nothing at all. But what I was thinking was to get her to go with a snubby DAO 22mag. Weighing out all the ups and downs, the only difference that's a real factor is that it holds 3 rounds less. She does not carry a reload, so at least she has more than 5-6 rounds like most carry wheel guns. But I feel like 8 22mags are better than 11 22lrs. Please feel free to voice your opinions on this matter as I will be sharing it with her. Thank you for any advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 AM   #2

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

You are absolutely right!
Granted you could teach her failure drills for the Walter and maybe, eventually hopefully, get her to carry a reload, but..

8 rounds of magnum in a no fail delivery device is the right choice.

Plus have you seen and heard a 22 wmr come out of a snubby.

That should be enough to get the bad guys to turn tail..

Old 04-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5498 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Out of a pistol she is better offwith 22lr. While both are designed for rifles the 22wmr delivers the same performance but more muzzle flash and recoil out of a pistol for no real gain. The powder burns just too slow.

Stingers are very reliable and like you said better than a keychain. Between the two the walther is the better choice especially if she is good with it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-09-2012, 02:54 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes WMR muzzle blast is a WOW factor. I have a 22mag drringer for snake country and it's louder than a hot load 380 out of my thunder.

CCI is the only way I go when you talk abnout a handgun for carrying in rimfire cal.

I just fear that the semi auto may be an issue at some point when it may matter most.

She is excellant with it but I am scared that in a panic something could go wrong and she forget the fundamentals of the drills I put her through.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Doesn't Walther make a 380 that is about the same size as a P22?

I have a P22 that is about 10 years old. As long as you use Stingers it will function fine. Hates cheap ammo.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #6

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 41

i know its not a 22 like you were asking about and most of you will scoff but have you looked at the llama 380 especial its about the size of the walther she has and has a felt recoil similar to a 22 wmr while running the much larger 380 cartridge. my friend carries one i sold her 5 years ago, she has roughly 5000 rounds through hers without a problem. you might also check out the ruger lcr in 22wmr

Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #7

Liked 1792 Times on 999 Posts
Likes Given: 1175

My wife has a J-Frame S&W in 22mag. It is a 7 shot. There is ammo made specifically for snubbies. There is no comparison with a 22lr. I put a laser on it for her. I would prefer she carry my J-Frame in 38 +p. But she has arthritis in her thumb. She also can not rack the slide on any of my autos. She is fairly competent with her gun. I would rather she carry a gun she can actually hit something with than to carry something that just hits inocent bystanders.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would say that 22wmr in a small revolver is formidable. With something like a hornady critical defense 45 grain load it is more than capable. They have an advertised velocity of 1000 fps at the muzzle out of A 1 and 5/8 inch barrel, and claim expansion out to 9mm in optimal conditions. Haven't tested them for expansion myself yet, though they do make quite a bang out of my NAA mini.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #9

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

22lr is rifle made and rifle tested and rifle reported. Shoot it from a pistol and it will underwhelm staggeringly.

22mag is cool, tiny bit better than 25acp with loads purposed for pistols.

Either way they are Rimfire and, to me, thusly worthless as SD rounds.

As a bang they're fine, any projectile from a firearm can and will kill. Reliability, on the other hand, is on you to determine. My experience with them is mixed. Two of my junk guns have performed flawlessly with them.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2771 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

Do you think your wife would be protected enough using a .22 to stop the attack of a wild boar or coyote?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)