22lr as a self defense round - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 22lr as a self defense round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 517 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Sometimes the 22 works very well without firing a shot. Didn't we have a thread a while back about a guy that walks his daughter to the bus carrying a 22 lr bolt action? No one messed with his daughter once he started protecting her with a 22 lr. Moreover, he got law enforcement involved with looking after his daughter.
That's any gun though. I am amused when people say "No one is going to be afraid of a .22!"

Yes, I'm sure when it is pointed right at them it is a different story. I don't think most criminals are going to go "It's only a .22, I'll take my chances!" If they attack even after you have a gun leveled at them, they're probably not rationale enough to worry about the caliber.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 07-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #82
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Sometimes the 22 works very well without firing a shot. Didn't we have a thread a while back about a guy that walks his daughter to the bus carrying a 22 lr bolt action? No one messed with his daughter once he started protecting her with a 22 lr. Moreover, he got law enforcement involved with looking after his daughter.
he merely presented an image of a man carrying a rifle. more than likely, most people had no idea as to what type or caiber the rifle was.

carrying a 22lr pistol for SD would be a totally different situation. you have no idea if you are faced with a situation where you need the pistol whether you will only need to present the pistol to stop an attack or actually have to shoot.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #83

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
there is also the chance that you could encounter some BG hopped up on mind altering drugs, that even many shots from a much larger caliber wouldn't have any effect on either.
Axxe, if you sever a major artery, and the brain looses blood-flow rapidly, you go to sleep. It doesn't matter how high you are. If you make a high-caliber hit in the hat rack, the same results.

You play the odds, and the odds are, you have a higher chance of surviving a violent encounter using a larger caliber than with a smaller caliber weapon. Therefore, if you are preparing for an encounter with a man, bring a man gun. If you are looking for squirrels, take a .22. Since I am old, and don't care to grapple with an injured bad guy, I carry a .45acp, and I move about dark places with complete confidence.

At home, where I have a large choice of weapons that don't have to be concealed, I depend on a .12 gauge shot-gun. Again, I feel comfortable with the notion that I am about as well prepared as I can be, and I sleep well accordingly.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 07-18-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 426 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 91

just my 2 cents. a 22 beats nothing. for a petit woman in her home, a 22 round in a scumbag's throat beats her raped and neaten to death with the phone she tried to call 911 with.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Axxe, if you sever a major artery, and the brain looses blood-flow rapidly, you go to sleep. It doesn't matter how high you are. If you make a high-caliber hit in the hat rack, the same results.

You play the odds, and the odds are, you have a higher chance of surviving a violent encounter using a larger caliber than with a smaller caliber weapon. Therefore, if you are preparing for an encounter with a man, bring a man gun. If you are looking for squirrels, take a .22. Since I am old, and don't care to grapple with an injured bad guy, I carry a .45acp, and I move about dark places with complete confidence.

At home, where I have a large choice of weapons that don't have to be concealed, I depend on a .12 gauge shot-gun. Again, I feel comfortable with the notion that I am about as well prepared as I can be, and I sleep well accordingly.
i don't dispute that in the least, but there have been times when someone was hopped up on drugs has taken multiple shots and still were standing and able to inflict damage on those they were attacking. my point was having a larger caliber isn't a gaurantee by any means. just as i believe that having a gun isn't a gaurantee of winning a gunfight if the attacker is also armed. having a gun only gives a more equal footing than being unarmed against an attacker. people have still been killed even when they had a gun for SD.

in a high stress situation and under attack, can you gaurantee you will hit a vital area each and every time you pull the trigger to put an attacker down?

if i were attacked and had to use a gun in SD, if using that gun allowed me in the least, the ability to retreat and survive, then i am happy. i don't care about killing an attacker, only stopping the threat and surviving the encounter. the only goal a responsible gun owner should concern themselves with is stopping the threat and being able to survive. the outcome of the attacker later on, are of little importance to me. if i hit the BG in an area that ends up being fatal several hours later or a day later, because he didn't seek medical attention and i survive the encounter, that is of little concern to me, as long as it stopped the threat to me at the time.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #86

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Wow so many theories and opinions. My .02 is it's great for a GFO (get the F---off of me gun) gun, two in the eye should stop the threat. As a primary carry gun I want something more. I carried one for several years, now my FIL is carrying it as a bug.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

DrFootball Likes This 
Old 07-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #87

Liked 27 Times on 14 Posts

Anytime you pass a metal (lead or steel) object through a human, no matter what diameter, you have effectively changed the course of the encounter and altered the plan of the aggressor.
I fear being shot with a .22 just as much as a .45 so the same translates to my confidence carrying either.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter58 View Post
Anytime you pass a metal (lead or steel) object through a human, no matter what diameter, you have effectively changed the course of the encounter and altered the plan of the aggressor.
I fear being shot with a .22 just as much as a .45 so the same translates to my confidence carrying either.
that translates into if your are dealing with someone using rational thought who attempts to attack you. but what if the person is depraved, or deranged from a mental state of mind or hopped up on drugs?

if the encounters just someone looking for a quick and easy payday and a soft target to attack for whatever reason, then your line of thought might be valid. as most would be thinking of self preservation and getting the hell out of Dodge.

someone not particularily concerned with such things, not so much IMO.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #89
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Would I ever choose a .22 LR as a SD round? Sure- if I could choose one of THESE:

Attachment 145582

American 180. Full auto, 1200 rounds per minute, 275 round magazine. But they are getting pricey, and with the cost of .22 LR nowadays....

I thought it was 177 Rds., or is that the .223/5.56 version?

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...