22lr as a self defense round
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 22lr as a self defense round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2159 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Default 22lr as a self defense round

Most members of FTF see the 22 lr as inadequate for a self defense round. Yet, statistics prove otherwise. Surprisingly, every caliber that begins with a 4 (.40 S&W, .45, .44 Mag…) performed worse than the .22 caliber firearms in terms of putting the opponent in the dirt for good.

I was quite surprised by the results of this study. Maybe this information will allow us to make better recommendations based in fact for recoil sensitive shooters, instead of our personal opinion.

This isn't a gelatin test. This is a people shooting study, ultimately that is all that matters. Over 1,800 shootings over the course of 10 years were analyzed in this study.

Here is the condensed version:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/ask-foghorn-22l-for-self-defense/

Here is the actual study. The raw numbers are much easier to read in this article.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 06-20-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3181 Times on 1833 Posts
Likes Given: 2055

This is only one man's opinion. I have a suspicion that some of the lethality of the .22lr can be attributed to an attitude of, "Oh, it's only .22 wound."

Don't get me wrong, I am not now or ever will be willing to stand down range of a .22lr weapon.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #3

Liked 79 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Most people feel that the lowly .22lr is not a good self defense round because it does not make a big manly hole when it it hits. It also does not require a big manly grip to control the recoil. I have yet to find anyone that wants to put the .22lr to a live test either.

What I have seen with most .22lr pistols is they hold plenty of ammo in a small package. With it's extremely low recoil it would not be hard to empty the mag into the bad guy without losing your target.

Yes there maybe better options but never count the little .22lr out. People have used it on hog and deer. Granted in a lot of states it is not legal to use .22 rim fire on a deer but does not mean it cannot do the job.

Besides if it wasn't such a good self defense round why are the prepper's buying up so much of it?

Old 06-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
This is only one man's opinion. I have a suspicion that some of the lethality of the .22lr can be attributed to an attitude of, "Oh, it's only .22 wound."

Don't get me wrong, I am not now or ever will be willing to stand down range of a .22lr weapon.
The truth about guns article was just one mans opinion. But they Buckeye Firearms article was a 10 year compilation of data that involved over 1,800 shootings. I doubt the number of people that did not seek medical attention after being shot by a 22 in the chest exceeded 12. Well, this is Ohio we are talking about. You may be right.

I am not willing to stand down range of anything larger than a Daisy Red Ryder.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

mich1377usmc Likes This 
Old 06-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #5

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

22 L.R.

L = last
R = resort

Old 06-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9560 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

While ANY gun can produce a lethal wound (I have read the Medical Examiner's autopsy report on a fatal shooting with a Sheridan 5mm air rifle) the issue in self defense is not lethality. It IS stopping the threat.

There is a lot of data available under the category of "one shot stops". Note the word STOP. Did not say fatal shooting- says stops. If I shoot you, and you bleed out in 10 minutes, I have to be concerned about what you are doing in that 10 minutes. My goal is to stop you- in a matter of seconds- not minutes.

I have no question of the potential LETHALITY of a .22LR- have taken enough small game with one to respect that little 40 grain pill. But I DO question it's ability to reliably STOP an assailant in a real world setting. If the .22 LR was actually effective for that, would expect to find a lot of .22LR firearms in the holsters of the armies and police departments of the world.

Link to the FBI report on handgun wounds-http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

Includes this quote- and I must agree with it-
It is critical to bear in mind that the single most critical factor remains penetration. While penetration up to 18 inches is preferable, a handgun bullet MUST reliably penetrate 12 inches of soft body tissue at a minimum regardless of whether it expands or not. If the bullet does not reliably penetrate to those depths, it is not an effective bullet for law enforcement use.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

kryptar19 Likes This 
Old 06-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #7

Liked 308 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Oh heck yes it is a self defense round. I promise you if someone is coming at me and all I have is my wife's 22 lr 1911, I will stand my ground and empty that mag if need be, and not fear doing so.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
While ANY gun can produce a lethal wound (I have read the Medical Examiner's autopsy report on a fatal shooting with a Sheridan 5mm air rifle) the issue in self defense is not lethality. It IS stopping the threat.

There is a lot of data available under the category of "one shot stops". Note the word STOP. Did not say fatal shooting- says stops. If I shoot you, and you bleed out in 10 minutes, I have to be concerned about what you are doing in that 10 minutes. My goal is to stop you- in a matter of seconds- not minutes.

I have no question of the potential LETHALITY of a .22LR- have taken enough small game with one to respect that little 40 grain pill. But I DO question it's ability to reliably STOP an assailant in a real world setting. If the .22 LR was actually effective for that, would expect to find a lot of .22LR firearms in the holsters of the armies and police departments of the world.

Link to the FBI report on handgun wounds-http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

Includes this quote- and I must agree with it-
It is critical to bear in mind that the single most critical factor remains penetration. While penetration up to 18 inches is preferable, a handgun bullet MUST reliably penetrate 12 inches of soft body tissue at a minimum regardless of whether it expands or not. If the bullet does not reliably penetrate to those depths, it is not an effective bullet for law enforcement use.
Your link is to CA gun laws.

I have seen deer that were shot with a 22. Every bullet passed through the deer. Many of these shots hit more than one bone. A deer's bones are much more dense and stronger than a human bone. These shots were made at ranges much further than common self defense ranges.

Law enforcement officers should be wary. 22 wmr gold dot's penetrate 10% ballistic gelatin very close to 12" from a NAA revolver with a 1.9" barrel. A gold dot would easily penetrate 12" of soft tissue from a semi auto with a 4" barrel. The semi auto would not allow gasses to escape from the cylinder gap. In kommiefornia and NY the average officer on the beat might be toting a PMR30 with a 10 shot magazine.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

The .22LR can be used in self defense, but......

Get in a pen with a 120# wild pig that is pi$$ed and the .22LR.

If you won't be willing to do that, then how come you expect it to stop a 200# BG on drugs?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

First let me state: I hate these threads. They generally degenerate into a caliber pissing contest.

Sure a .22 will do the job. Is anyone going to seriously argue that it's the best tool for the job?

Quote:
Most people feel that the lowly .22lr is not a good self defense round because it does not make a big manly hole when it it hits. It also does not require a big manly grip to control the recoil. I have yet to find anyone that wants to put the .22lr to a live test either.
Just because no one is stupid enough to stand there and let you shoot them proves nothing.

What I have seen with most .22lr pistols is they hold plenty of ammo in a small package. With it's extremely low recoil it would not be hard to empty the mag into the bad guy without losing your target.
So do .32s and .380s. Hell even the .22 magnum.

Yes there maybe better options but never count the little .22lr out. People have used it on hog and deer. Granted in a lot of states it is not legal to use .22 rim fire on a deer but does not mean it cannot do the job.
Poachers in Africa spray elephants with AK 47s. Does that make them the go-to big game safari hunting rig?

Besides if it wasn't such a good self defense round why are the prepper's buying up so much of it?
A number of reasons.
High density, you can carry a LOT of it for very little weight.
It's quiet. It will attract less attention from hostiles when you're out shooting dinner.

Good trading/barter stock, in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, ammo will be as good as gold, literally.
If one is forced to "make do" it will work against humans. That said, I seriously doubt that most people believe that .22LR the best possible option for a Mad Max style end of the world gun fight.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?
People Like This