.22 LR for self defense? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > .22 LR for self defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
On the .22 caliber question:

Would you be willing to defend yourself against a 100# hog or a 150# dog using a .22?
And that is expected to defend you against a 200# bad guy?
good way of putting it maybe that will convince him. yes he had the 12 ga as a kid thing happen and i think thats what turned him off

Old 01-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8812 Times on 5096 Posts
Likes Given: 11484

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluspforyou38 View Post
good way of putting it maybe that will convince him. yes he had the 12 ga as a kid thing happen and i think thats what turned him off
How did I know? That is the single worst and stupidest way to introduce a kid to guns.

He needs to be re-introduced to guns in a way that makes it enjoyable. Start small and work your way up. When he gets the least bit uncomfortable then stop there and you have found the caliber he is looking for.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #23

i havent read much of the thread but i am so glad that nobody came out and just blasted everybody, name calling and everything, in defense of the .22. i remember not to long ago someone would just flame up a thread like this, talking about how they read something about a guy that got shot 10 times with a .45 and lived but 1 round from a .22 stopped a 300lbs dude dead.

i just dont like the .22 cause of its defensive application. without considering stopping power to shoot at a target, low and fast, moving at night-no lights through your house, i know all i have to do is hit him once to slow him down enough. hopped up on something, even adrenaline, probably wont feel a .22 even hit.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #24

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliferrum View Post
i havent read much of the thread but i am so glad that nobody came out and just blasted everybody, name calling and everything, in defense of the .22. i remember not to long ago someone would just flame up a thread like this, talking about how they read something about a guy that got shot 10 times with a .45 and lived but 1 round from a .22 stopped a 300lbs dude dead.

i just dont like the .22 cause of its defensive application. without considering stopping power to shoot at a target, low and fast, moving at night-no lights through your house, i know all i have to do is hit him once to slow him down enough. hopped up on something, even adrenaline, probably wont feel a .22 even hit.
I haven't seen a tread like this come up on ftf but when I saw the title I thought, "oh no, not again" but I am very impressed with the attitude on here.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell_Sackett View Post
I haven't seen a tread like this come up on ftf but when I saw the title I thought, "oh no, not again" but I am very impressed with the attitude on here.
dude exactly, im impressed everyones being mature and i can agree with what people are saying on this topic, for once. im still waitin on the .22 troll though. i read something earlier "would you trust it to stop a hog", i can almost with say with certainty theres gonna be someone thats gonna come along and tell the story of how a .22 mag stopped a 300lbs boar.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In a pinch? You have to use whatever resources you have. As a planned defense method, NO.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluspforyou38 View Post
i just have a friend who is afraid of recoil but i cant talk him into getting anything bigger. he might budge for a .22 mag but i wonder if they make any decent LR ammo that would give him a better chance
Use of a firearm for self defense is a huge undertaking, much bigger than recoil. For the friend you describe, perhaps a cell phone with 911 on speed dial is a better solution.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
hmh

Liked 157 Times on 109 Posts

Number 1 rule to surviving a gun fight. HAVE A GUN. More people are killed with a .22 than any other caliber (due to mass quantity). As a primary I personally wouldn't. But its better than nothing.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #29

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Of all the men I know who were involved in gunfights, not one wished they had a smaller caliber.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #30

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
In a pinch? You have to use whatever resources you have. As a planned defense method, NO.
Very well said!