Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > .22 LR for self defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I have never kept my .22 next to my bed at night. I reserve that spot for my .45. If for some reason I was in a position where I could only get to a .22, it would be better than no gun, but it wouldn't be my first caliber choice for self defense. I would be no match for an intruder with my fists so I will take all the advantage I can get.

With that said, my humble opinion is that for a self defense handgun, people should get the highest caliber they are able to shoot well and comfortably. So if a .22 is all someone can shoot well, by all means he or she should get one.

Is your friend afraid because he has shot higher calibers and hated it or afraid because he anticipates unpleasant recoil?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2612 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 203

The physical force of recoil is easily managed with proper grip and stance. The psychological aspects from the noise and flash may be harder to manage, depending on the individual. The .22 LR has very little recoil, but significant noise and flash out of a handgun. .38's out of a .357 Mag revolver are a good idea. Ball and dummy practice from that same revolver is very good also.

While teaching a revolver class many years ago I had a student who was all over the place in the target (if on the target at all). He was closing his eyes as he pulled the trigger. I had him load one round and fire. As soon as the gun went off, I jumped in and very dramatically took the gun and asked if he was hurt. I asked if his ears hurt. I again asked if he needed medical attention, "that looked painful are you sure you are OK?". He assured me he was OK. I replied that if the gun did not hurt him he needed to man up and shoot the damn gun. His patterns became groups.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7834 Times on 4523 Posts
Likes Given: 10088

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Ball and dummy practice from that same revolver is very good also.
Explain "ball and dummy practice". Please.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2612 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Put less than a full cylinder full in the gun, slowly squeeze the trigger. If it does not go bang, what does the muzzle do? If the shooter has flinching issues, the muzzle will go crazy when the gun go click.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7834 Times on 4523 Posts
Likes Given: 10088

OK. Never heard it called "ball and dummy practice." It's good practice though.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

On the .22 caliber question:

Would you be willing to defend yourself against a 100# hog or a 150# dog using a .22?
And that is expected to defend you against a 200# bad guy?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How many of you pulled the trigger on a 22lr rimfire and got click? The 22 make a poor SD gun for that reason. In my range "Dud Bucket" you will find at least 5 rounds of 22 no centerfire rounds. John Browing's 25acp was designed for reliable replacement for the 22 rimfire.

Quote:
The use of the .25 ACP allows for a very compact lightweight gun, but the cartridge is relatively short ranged and low powered, putting it in the same class as the .22 LR rimfire cartridge but at a significantly higher price point. Although the .22 is slightly more powerful when fired from longer rifle barrels, the .25 ACP is viewed by some as a better choice for personal defense in handguns due to its inherently more reliable centerfire case design.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.25_ACP

Centerfire rounds are just more reliable.

Two sounds that gun owners fear: A click when it should of been a bang, and a bang when it should of been a click.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Last edited by 007BondJamesBond007; 01-24-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I guess a .22 beats harsh language and screams. I think I would back a .22 up with pepper spray and a tazer.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #19

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Of course having a .22LR would better than nothing at all for defense but if I am able to choose my weapon for protection there is no way I would opt for a .22LR handgun. If I ever think I might be in harm's way or encounter a dangerous situation I will be packing my .45 acp, .357 mag or .44 mag. The .44 mag kicks like a mule in my opinion but I shot it and learned how to manage the recoil. We are talking about packing a gun for self defense, which usually means protecting one's well-being or life or that of loved ones. If able to choose a weapon why not go with one that for various reasons is known to be effective?

Being familiar and proficient with a firearm should always be the first consideration. Simply buying a firearm, any firearm, and calling it good is not wise.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

A 9mm in a double stack works great for recoil. I would suggest a cz75 or xdm 4.5 inch 9mm both are superb very low felt recoil handguns. Fullsize are harder to conceal but doable. The smaller the gun the more unpleasent it is to shoot regardless of caliber. A small palm sized 22lr is more unpleasent than a full size 9mm doublestack.

Heavier guns also have more reduced felt recoil.

I would strongly suggest that your friend take a new shooter course that has a range time aspect to it. The worst thing is to buy a gun then spend the next decade doing it wrong. Thats how you end up on youtube with a hole in your leg.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-24-2012 at 01:21 PM.