21 ft. Rule - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 21 ft. Rule

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #81
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2281 Times on 1237 Posts
Likes Given: 668

A long time ago women wore hats and they used hat pins to hold the hats on. Some of those hat pins were pretty nasty and were used for more than holding the hat on.
http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/2010/07/the-sting-of-a-hornet-edwardian-hat-pin-self-defence/

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:57 AM   #82

Liked 1981 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

I designed a stage for an IDPA match that we shot last Saturday. I wanted something realistic.

We all started with our hands in the air. There were three attackers. The slowest time was over 8 seconds. But most people did it in under 5. Keep in mind this was with your hands in the air, wearing a cover garment and gun in the holster. I did it in 4.87 seconds with only 1 point down. Russ beat me with a time of 4.64 also with 1 point down. The best time was less than 3 seconds. That is 6 rounds fired from concealment on three different targets.

If you really want to be prepared Join a club and start training. I realized this weekend...I am a whole lot faster than I was when I took my concealed carry class. I owe that to IDPA, plain and simple.

Practice, practice, and then practice some more.

File Type: pdf A_dark_alley.pdf (25.0 KB, 20 views)

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-12-2014, 03:04 AM   #83

I am guessing that most of the people that shot that stage had 2 rounds in the first target in under 3 seconds. You figure it probably takes a second to aquire the next target and fire 2 more rounds. So I bet 80% of the shooters go 2 in the first target in under 3 seconds.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2017 Times on 1385 Posts
Likes Given: 767

I am not saying you all did not shoot good times. When I use an IDPA holster in casual carry I don't even try to conceal it. Your times are going to be a bit slower with a true concealment holster.

When I am riding my bike I use an ankle holster in my boot.Standing up it would take 5 seconds just to draw the gun. I can draw a gun a lot faster from an ankle holster if I am laying on the ground. That is the point of an ankle holster, GTF off me.

It has never happened to me but I know people who have dropped their gun on a bike using IWB holsters with no retention.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #85

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
Mythbusters did this don't bring a knife to a gun fight and showed that a knife can beat a gun easily.
I love that show.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I designed a stage for an IDPA match that we shot last Saturday. I wanted something realistic.

We all started with our hands in the air. There were three attackers. The slowest time was over 8 seconds. But most people did it in under 5. Keep in mind this was with your hands in the air, wearing a cover garment and gun in the holster. I did it in 4.87 seconds with only 1 point down. Russ beat me with a time of 4.64 also with 1 point down. The best time was less than 3 seconds. That is 6 rounds fired from concealment on three different targets.

If you really want to be prepared Join a club and start training. I realized this weekend...I am a whole lot faster than I was when I took my concealed carry class. I owe that to IDPA, plain and simple.

Practice, practice, and then practice some more.
You be practicing for a gang attack. But a gang does not need to close the gap on you, they can just draw out their heat, and then you would simply be outgunned.

For a single assailant attacking you with a knife, it takes at least 1 second to realize what is going on, if not 2. Then another two seconds -- at least -- to draw from concealment and pull the trigger (not squeeze but pull).

Now you are at 4 seconds for only a single shot. Hopefully you hit what you wanted to rather than a bystander.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I carry both, Infact, 3 different Knives besides my gun, a faux MultiTool, a Self Activated folder, and a major double edge combat knife. I I trained with a few experienced guys,...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
I normally have at least 2 knives on my person at all times.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I am not saying you all did not shoot good times. When I use an IDPA holster in casual carry I don't even try to conceal it. Your times are going to be a bit slower with a true concealment holster.
I am not saying I am John Wayne or something. I am just saying that I am a lot better and faster shooter than I would be if I were not shooting IDPA. I believe that is true of everyone that I shoot with.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

At what range did this take place??? We were talking the 'reactionary gap' so I would guess 21 ft, but you did not say.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 07-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
You be practicing for a gang attack. But a gang does not need to close the gap on you, they can just draw out their heat, and then you would simply be outgunned.

For a single assailant attacking you with a knife, it takes at least 1 second to realize what is going on, if not 2. Then another two seconds -- at least -- to draw from concealment and pull the trigger (not squeeze but pull).

Now you are at 4 seconds for only a single shot. Hopefully you hit what you wanted to rather than a bystander.
You obviously did not read my post. I fired six rounds into 3 different targets in that time. That time included drawing from concealment. I did not miss any of my 6 shots fired. In fact only one round was outside the center ring.

I did not win that stage by the way. I was about 7th place out of 20 shooters.