21 ft. Rule
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 21 ft. Rule

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 86 Posts

Default 21 ft. Rule

I was way watching one of my favorite shows the other day called "Justified" and there is this criminal who since his introduction this season always challenges armed personnel with a large knife and the infamous 21ft rule. Now I know this is a tv show with Hollywood stamps all over it but it got me to thinking. I remember on best defense or some other show a while back they put together a scenario where an armed knife attacker is coming at a civilian carrying a gun from 21ft. They all took turns and sadly all pretty much failed miserably while trying to deploy their weapon and move away from the attack, with one guy falling down completely out of control. I know of the tactics that one could use like side step and such but I hadn't really practiced this type defense until I seen this episode. Considering we need another person to help us train for this type situation kind of makes this hard for some of us, but I highly recommend practicing this with the wife or friends at least a couple of times. Please use air soft pistols and plastic knifes by the way!!!! Thought I would say this just in case some safety nazi can't figure out a safe way to do this without giving me a hard time. I know there are many variables that can't be accounted for like the size, speed and determination or the attacker or the skill of the gun holder(extreme ex.. Bob Munden). And I know attacks on average are at much closer distances which really makes me wonder. I really believe I couldn't achieve success without tactics like off hand shielding or side stepping. Just out of curiosity, how do you think you would fair vs. an attacker in a 21ft rule scenario?

Never enough guns or ammo

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #2

Liked 2841 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 2693

Kind of makes a good case for open carry doesn't it.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Kind of makes a good case for open carry doesn't it.

I agree, but with practice the time of weapon deployment from cc or oc is minimal. This is not an oc vs. cc argument. I searched the web and found some instances where armed people were killed by knife attacks so it does indeed happen. How do you feel about this "21 ft rule"? BS or do you think it's legitimate?

Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3149 Times on 1814 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

"Just out of curiosity, how do you think you would fair vs. an attacker in a 21ft rule scenario?"
Considering the size of my kitchen and what accuracy my wife has with dishes,

Not much

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #5

Liked 2208 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I saw a YouTube video of test. He could draw his weapon and fire an aimed shot at a 6" target in around 1.4 seconds open carry. It took him 1.6 seconds to fire the same Glock 19 concealed appendix carry. If you practice you can draw a gun pretty fast from anywhere.

I know there are people here at FTF that can draw their gun and get off an aimed shot in .25 seconds. I have been told numerous times how fast people can draw their pistol. I have been frieght trained by people that can draw a pistol and fire it faster than I can shoot a shotgun I am holding in my hands. My question for them is why haven't they replaced Jerry Miculek?

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-24-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #6

Liked 2841 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 2693

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
I agree, but with practice the time of weapon deployment from cc or oc is minimal. This is not an oc vs. cc argument. I searched the web and found some instances where armed people were killed by knife attacks so it does indeed happen. How do you feel about this "21 ft rule"? BS or do you think it's legitimate?

I think it's a legitimate concern. I wasn't trying to make an oc vs. cc argument, just making the point that sometimes "minimal" is the difference between life and death. I just hope a jury understands the 21 ft. rule. You shoot a guy who has a knife at 21 ft. they might just feel that wasn't self defense.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3149 Times on 1814 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I know there are people here at FTF that can draw their gun and get off an aimed shot in .25 seconds. I have been told numerous times how fast people can draw their pistol. My question for them is why haven't they replaced Jerry Miculek?
Some of us just want to let Jerry have all the glory.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #8

Liked 436 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

Mythbusters did this don't bring a knife to a gun fight and showed that a knife can beat a gun easily.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #9

Liked 2607 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

IMO, you can lose the advantage very quickly,

if you are not aware of your surroundings.

In any event, a CC isn't a bulletproof shield,

or any guarantee you'll live to 100.

How much are you willing to prep and practice?

How fast is your rig, to begin with?

How well can you take care of yourself

without a gun?

Old 03-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I think it's a legitimate concern. I wasn't trying to make an oc vs. cc argument, just making the point that sometimes "minimal" is the difference between life and death. I just hope a jury understands the 21 ft. rule. You shoot a guy who has a knife at 21 ft. they might just feel that wasn't self defense.

Well I'm not gonna shoot anybody at 21 ft, but if I'm involved in a self defense shooting it's damn sure because the bad guy was in the act of attacking me.