Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   20 GA Defense Load (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/20-ga-defense-load-85641/)

JimRau 03-03-2013 01:15 AM

20 GA Defense Load
 
I have been looking for a good defense load for a 20 GA. I got my wife a Moss 500 Youth Model for here home defense. I found a #3 Buckshot load from Winchester (2 3/4 inch, 20 pellet, 1200 fps). I patterned it out of another 20 GA (sawed off to 18 inch no choke) and at 30 feet I got an irregular 12 inch pattern.
That is 20 pellets at .250 dia., which weighs 23.4 gr per pellet at 1200 fps. That is total weight of 468 grs. I have not yet did any penetration tests, but according to some research I have done it it is effective on small deer at out to 25 yards. So I think it would be very effective on an aggressive human victimizer. At only 23 gr per pellet I do not believe it would have much residual energy after passing though a common interior wall.;)

phildenton 03-03-2013 01:28 AM

3 buck is ok. 1 buck is better. 2 3/4" low recoil. Federal, fiocchi, & winchester are all good brands. Have her test fire some different rounds.

JimRau 03-03-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phildenton (Post 1161121)
3 buck is ok. 1 buck is better. 2 3/4" low recoil. Federal, fiocchi, & winchester are all good brands. Have her test fire some different rounds.

Part of my business is ballistic testing. I normally would not recommend any shot larger than #4 buck for interior use, but good 20 ga loads are not as abundant as those for a 12 ga and realistically there is very little difference in #3 and #4 Buck.:)

robocop10mm 03-03-2013 01:38 AM

Who cut the barrel? Sounds like it was not done right to leave a pattern like that.

I load O buck (8 pellets) in a 2 3/4" hull at 1250fps. All 8 in a B-27 at 25 yards.

gunlinn 03-03-2013 01:41 AM

Winchester pdx with the plates and buck pellets is some very nasty ammo... I use in a .410 in my closet and my bro brought his 12g coach gun over to try the pdx out as well... Impressive. Very impressive

JTJ 03-03-2013 01:46 AM

I have to agree with JimRau on this. I keep #4 buck in my 12 and #3 buck in my 20. My 20 is a double and is choked improved and modified. The improved barrel shoots 5" at 7 yards and the modified barrel shoots 4" at 7 yards with the #3 buck. My 12 is cylinder bore and shoots 6" at 7 yards with the #4 buck. 7 yards is a more realistic distance inside a house. You do have to aim.

HockaLouis 03-03-2013 02:02 AM

#3 Buck is the big common 20 ga. Available and cheap tho probably not at your Walmart -- still if they have ANY 20 Buckshot that's what it'll be.

#2 buck is the largest I have typically seen around much and is probably the largest that's still efficient in a .62 smoothbore. The price is steeper but if that's your gun and you want more than just basic HD, that's where you go. The kicka$$ round, the one to squeeze everything you can outta that 20 gauge, is 3" (magnum) #2 Buck.

Some will go for #4 Shot shells for HD in an apartment or even inside the house -- I'd probably use the (also more expensive) #4 Buckshot first but that's me and I don't trust anything less than #2 Shot and that's in a 12 ga. Again, general purpose security, I have common Remington #3 Buckshot for the 20 ga...

JimRau 03-03-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1161140)
Who cut the barrel? Sounds like it was not done right to leave a pattern like that.

I load O buck (8 pellets) in a 2 3/4" hull at 1250fps. All 8 in a B-27 at 25 yards.

I cut the bbl. It was a 'junk' bbl with the choke tube split and the threads ruined.
This is a 'farm/house' gun. It is good enough for 'pests' of all types!!!;)
The other gun is a youth model Moss 500 and I have not had a chance to pattern it yet.

JimRau 03-03-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1161150)
I have to agree with JimRau on this. I keep #4 buck in my 12 and #3 buck in my 20. My 20 is a double and is choked improved and modified. The improved barrel shoots 5" at 7 yards and the modified barrel shoots 4" at 7 yards with the #3 buck. My 12 is cylinder bore and shoots 6" at 7 yards with the #4 buck. 7 yards is a more realistic distance inside a house. You do have to aim.

The 'myth' about not having to 'aim' a shotgun is one of the most stated ones I hear in my training classes. ;)

hardluk1 03-07-2013 06:21 PM

How true. easy for a person to miss clean at close distance. They must be aimed and handgrips only are foolish.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:32 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.