Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 1st concealed carry for the wife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 04:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1st concealed carry for the wife?

Wife finally came to and decided with the area were in that she would feel more safe if she carried. So we had a talk and we are goin to take her to some classes and get her a new gun. Her 1st I might add. So we decided to go shopping around to find 1 that she likes. One that fits her and 1 that she can hassle. And after 3 months she has almost totally decided on the smith and wesson bodygaurd. It's a 380 semi auto and it has plenty of safety features for her. She loves the feel, the lazer for at night and the look. Besides that a 380 is perfect for her, she won't have any problem handling it. So now to the point. We would like so info or reviews on it. What do u all think. And any other advice would be appreciated as always. Thx guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

My wife is in the same boat and wants to carry now, but I had to talk her out of a pink derringer that she saw...lol. I say if she likes it go for it. I don't know of any issues with the bodyguard and I love my S&W, but I would say go with Hydroshock rounds.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
My wife is in the same boat and wants to carry now, but I had to talk her out of a pink derringer that she saw...lol. I say if she likes it go for it. I don't know of any issues with the bodyguard and I love my S&W, but I would say go with Hydroshock rounds.
Definitely hydra shock. Great for inhome, and stopping some1 in there tracks.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #4

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

How are the laser controls? I did read some reviews where some shooters thought that the switch placement was a little ackward.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
How are the laser controls? I did read some reviews where some shooters thought that the switch placement was a little ackward.
Perfect placement. Exactly were ur index finger rest when you pull the gun out. 1 click on, 2 clicks flashing, and 1 more to shut off.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 760 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 157

My wife has a Bersa .380 with crimson trace. I'm not a fan of the firearm, but she loves it, which is all that matters.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So this may start a debate and probably has been discussed ad infinitum but I am not a fan of a small caliber semi auto (I know 380 is not considered by many as a small caliber, but I am old school ) for carry unless the gun has been thoroughly tuned and the shooter has extensive practice with it. I am assuming here, and that is dangerous in itself, that your wife may not be actively shooting for any length of time. (I apologize now if I have assumed incorrectly) So I would recommend a small lightweight frame revolver as a carry piece for her. There are many to choose from but you really cannot go wrong with a Smith & Wesson for a start. The reason I suggest this is that under duress, which is most likely how it will occur, having to worry with an auto that may jam, remembering where and how to disengage the safety, activate the laser, will all become confusing and time consuming for a less than practiced shooter. The revolver is basically point and pull the trigger. The double action trigger pull will adequately act as a safety as long as it has not been modified to a less than reasonable pull weight. Again just my opinion, worth all of two cents, but good luck and hope she never has to use whatever gun you choose.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 02-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #8

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

The .380 isn't considered choice by many ,but I have to say a .380 is better than no carry at all and with hydra shoks it will get the job done . I say if the ladies are comfortable and thats what they want to carry then let them. The body guard is a fine gun .

Old 02-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #9

I have a S&W bodyguard .380 and carry it everywhere I go in an ankle holster. I've put about 500 rounds through it without and problems at all. I rarely use the laser. I practice shooting at targets up close and practice point shooting with it most of the time. That's where I think I'll have to use it. The long trigger pull is the only thing I don't like about it but i've gotten used to it.

I put a crimson trace laser on my S&W j-frame and thought it was a good setup for my wife. I love it but she doesn't like the snappy recoil. What we think is good doesn't mean they will think the same way. We have yet to find something she feels comfortable with as a carry gun. Her bedside gun is a Taurus Tracker .357 with .38 special ammo. Heavy gun with low recoil. I also think a revolver would be a better setup for my wife because she has limited shooting experience and there are less malfunctions to worry about with a revolver. Taurus just came out with a .380 revolver and after it has been out for awhile and more people get a chance to review it I may look at that for my wife.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 221 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'd always say lean toward a 9mm or 38spl over 380acp if at all possible...maybe a Ruger LC9 or LCR. You get a more versatile gun, shooting a more effective and affordable caliber.

But first and foremost, she has to be enthusiastic about her firearm. And if that means it needs to be the little 380acp, then so be it. If she likes her firearm, then she's a lot more likely to become proficient with it.