Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > .17 HMR revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default .17 HMR revolver

Give me some thoughts on the .17 HMR revolver as a personal defense option for a female with recoil issues. Would a .22 be just as good for this application?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #2

Default .22 Better Choice

IDVague: Sir, .17 is an outstanding round; when applied to a more proper application.
.22, for practice, and all around, ''based'' against the .17; is the better choice.

ask her to practice, take her to practice; and teach her the routine in basic's. then you have a built in shooting partner

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has she tried at least .380 in a larger pistol such as a Beretta Cheetah?

.17's lose a lot in a handgun length barrel and, like a .22, they're small and light. I refer you to this article The Mouse That Roared.

IMO if she simple can't or wont go any bigger than a .22, get a good .22 revolver or automatic, use Aguila Interceptor 40 grn LRN for carry and any good .22 for practice.

I doubt the terminal effects of the .17 vs the .22 will mean much in actual application.

Do your best to get her the largest caliber she can handle...

"REMEMBER – What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!"

Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the help, everyone. The lady in question is the wife of a friend, so I'm going on his reports, but the word is that both his .380 and .22 Magnum are more that she can or will get used to shooting without flinching terribly. Neither he nor I have any experience with the .17, so we don't know if the recoil would be significantly different from the .22 or not. She can shoot a small frame .22 fairly well, so that might be the best that he can do for her. I know I would rather have a .22 than nothing, and in some cases I might prefer it over something larger.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2215 Times on 1109 Posts
Likes Given: 1137

ID,

Sounds like she needs some professional training from an instructor. And there are other issues like noise and proper ear protection that pays a very important role in developing bad habits like flinching. I only know of one individual in all the years that we could not teach to shoot when properly instructed and worked with. Not being able to handle a 22 Mag or 380 is an issue. I think this situation you are referring to just goes down to a plain training issue. And exposing here to techniques that can eliminate the flinching. Then there is the issue that if you are going to have a pistol that will stop an assailant especially one on drugs or nuts. It will take a caliber of around 380 at least to be consistent. I know there will be some that stand up against what I just stated. But the 380 is marginal when we talk about constantly being able to accomplish the task. It was the minimum that was allowed on the Metro PD for that reason. They also have some very good rounds for the 380 now which they did not have in the past.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1353 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Unless you hit the vitals--and that's not likely from a newbie shooter in an adrenal rush--those tiny calibers are liable to just p*ss the attacker off.

Qualified instruction with a small frame .38 would be my advice.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1734 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Use 40 gr solids. You will need all the penetration you can get.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 222 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 28

My only suggestion would be a 327 Federal Mag. It is a bigger round than what you're talking about here, but it can fire 4 calibers I believe (327mag, 32H&R mag, 32S&W long, and 32S&W)...the latter two being pretty tame.

The only problem is that they're not terribly common, so it won't be the easiest gun to track down for a test run. I know Ruger offers both the SP101 and GP100 models in 327mag.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

3rd party training is in order IMHO. If she shys at a .22 there isn't a lot left. With some objective trigger time with a .22 she will either learn or be one of those that simply are not firearm friendly. I heard there are those that don't want to have anything to do with firearms but don't have any first hand expereince.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDVague View Post
Thanks for the help, everyone. The lady in question is the wife of a friend, so I'm going on his reports, but the word is that both his .380 and .22 Magnum are more that she can or will get used to shooting without flinching terribly. Neither he nor I have any experience with the .17, so we don't know if the recoil would be significantly different from the .22 or not. She can shoot a small frame .22 fairly well, so that might be the best that he can do for her. I know I would rather have a .22 than nothing, and in some cases I might prefer it over something larger.
If she's that bad I have to question her willingness to use any firearm...

"REMEMBER – What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!"