16 rnds of 40S&W or 18 rnds of 9mm ? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 16 rnds of 40S&W or 18 rnds of 9mm ?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tackleberry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 5,941
Liked 4732 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 1457

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I switched from 1911 to glock 20. More rounds and more stopping power. Also lighter.
YOU DID WHAAAAAAA?

Mountain Man, we need to talk on the DL before Cane hears about this...
__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #22
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

Shhhh. He'll hurt me if he finds out. Lol

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tackleberry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 5,941
Liked 4732 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 1457

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Shhhh. He'll hurt me if he finds out. Lol
Ok I'll Shhhh...but first, I've gotta know...how did you make the transition?

Did you have to go all "Ru Paul" in the wrist area?

...or did just buying some Red Nikes and turning your cap sideways do the trick?

Tack
__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #24
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

Lmfao. I just had to get my balls out of my girls purse. Lol

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
Less penetration? How did you come to that conclusion and whats your source/evidence for that? Not tryin to start a fight here, its just that many tout the 40 as more powerfull than the 9, heavier bullet going faster, wouldnt that equal GREATER penetration? Again i personally would probably class them as similar power class.

Hi Phildenton. I'm the OP. You're right. If using the proper bullet, 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm, and 45ACP, all have about the same penetration. But if using the wrong bullets, then over penatration becomes an issue. Here's an interesting and factual discourse on the subject. Everybody should watch this video. Stop the video when the depth chart is shown and study it.

I think this video helped me make up my mind about which gun to get. I had narrowed it down to a Ruger SR9C or SR40C. They're both exactly the same size. The only difference is capacity. As one poster put it, if it ain't over in 2 or 3 rounds, it's not self defense. It's a fire fight. That may be. And in that scenario, I want capacity.

Thanks for your input guys.

Don <><

__________________

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.


Last edited by genesis; 08-15-2012 at 02:05 AM.
genesis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #26
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

Assuming they all have the same penetration then whichever round opens to the largest diameter on impact with the most weight behind it would be the best.

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jjfuller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: a place between here and there.
Posts: 4,428
Liked 1136 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
Less penetration? How did you come to that conclusion and whats your source/evidence for that?

Not tryin to start a fight here, its just that many tout the 40 as more powerfull than the 9, heavier bullet going faster, wouldnt that equal GREATER penetration? Again i personally would probably class them as similar power class.
the evidence for my statement is as follows take it or leave doesnt matter to me.

i shot a 115 fmj 9mm and a 180gr fmj .40.

the .40 stopped in between the 3rd and 4th 1 inch wood boards
the 9mm stopped in the 6th wood board.

so for my test the 9mm penetrated a good 2 more inches than the .40.

also for the same target after 4 rapid hits my target fell over with the .40.

the 9 did not make it tip over at all. this was at all shot at a distance of 10 yards.

but i still think either one is a good choice
__________________
I have been a silent witness
to all of America's finest hours.
But my finest hour comes
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
jjfuller1 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GlockRenegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 603
Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1
the evidence for my statement is as follows take it or leave doesnt matter to me.

i shot a 115 fmj 9mm and a 180gr fmj .40.

the .40 stopped in between the 3rd and 4th 1 inch wood boards
the 9mm stopped in the 6th wood board.

so for my test the 9mm penetrated a good 2 more inches than the .40.

also for the same target after 4 rapid hits my target fell over with the .40.

the 9 did not make it tip over at all. this was at all shot at a distance of 10 yards.

but i still think either one is a good choice
Well I can see your point of view. But since im living back in an apartment, ill stick with JHPs for the sake of my neighbors. In the event of a miss shot I want least amount of penetration possible. And yes.... 12 gauge is nxt in line for home defense
__________________
GlockRenegade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gearhead396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 945
Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Default

Used to carry a 1911 with 8 round clip now I carry a src9 with full size clip and grip 18 round I prefer over my glock 30 my 1911s and my sigma 40 also if you get shot it's gonna **** you up I think anything 380 and up is sufficient

__________________

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

gearhead396 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gig Harbor,WA
Posts: 816
Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1
the evidence for my statement is as follows take it or leave doesnt matter to me.

i shot a 115 fmj 9mm and a 180gr fmj .40.

the .40 stopped in between the 3rd and 4th 1 inch wood boards
the 9mm stopped in the 6th wood board.

so for my test the 9mm penetrated a good 2 more inches than the .40.

also for the same target after 4 rapid hits my target fell over with the .40.

the 9 did not make it tip over at all. this was at all shot at a distance of 10 yards.

but i still think either one is a good choice
What were the muzzle velocities of each loading?
__________________
phildenton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
CZ 452 American .22 LR -1st 100 rnds Mack Bolan Range Report 6 01-25-2010 05:10 PM
WTS: AK-47 7.62 x 39 ammo 122 Gr. FMJ 250.00 per 1000 rnds. Randall Sponsor Display 1 08-24-2009 07:53 PM
My M14 build (10k rnds later) fragout DIY Projects 4 08-16-2008 11:20 PM