10/22 for home defense - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 10/22 for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Something is better than nothing.

Look at it from a different perspective - it works wonders.

If I were robbing a house at night, I would have a gun. I wouldn't have a wimpy gun, I would have a shotgun because they are cheap. Because I don't care about felonies, I saw off the barrel to optimize mobility in tight quarters. In the middle of grabbing valuables, I come around the corner and a couple 32gr bullets the size of pencil erasers hits me in the gut. I laugh! (cause the PCP and thick clothing makes it feel like someone is tickling me) and return fire from the hip with a 1 1/4oz slug. Your family/house is now mine. I die sometime later (maybe), but at least I got my last kicks.

You say, "I'd shoot the guy in the head". Well good luck, your going to need it. Center mass is a much bigger/easier target to hit when your adrenaline gland is wide open. Consider that police officers in stressful situations hit their intended target about 30% of the time. I bet they train more than you.
I do this as well, thinking like your enemy is the best way to defeat him. This tactic has been winning wars for centuries...no reason it can't work in your personal defense.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 02-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #32
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2571 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 738

Personally I would not use a 10-22 for home defense but I do know people that could not handle anything else. For them it is their only option other than nothing. A pistol caliber carbine would be a good weapon but sadly some people can not even handle that. Properly set up with good ammo, 22 rifle can be a nasty weapon. A 22mag would be better and a 30 carbine better yet. There are lots of better yet's but not if they cant handle them.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #33

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

The smallest thing i in my house i would go for is my xd9 loaded with Corbon high velocity hollow points, i would never grab for a .22 unless things had already gone down hill.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I hope to never need a 50 round mag let alone a back up 50 round mag for home defense (spray and pray is the term that comes to mind).
That's kinda what I was thinking too. I have this vision of madly spraying lead in every direction..... quality, not quantity my friend!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
That's kinda what I was thinking too. I have this vision of madly spraying lead in every direction..... quality, not quantity my friend!
The likelyhood of getting 50 fired rounds of .22's is unlikely at best. The most common problem with rimfire ammo is FTE, followed by FTF. It varies from gun to gun, but all too common none the less.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #36

Liked 146 Times on 95 Posts

A 10/22, with the stock 10 round magazine, is adquate for home defense.
ANY gunshot must be a central nervous system shot for instant capacitation. The .22 will do this as well as many other calibers.
Bigger is better, but the little .22 lr (from a rifle) is nothing to sneeze at.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:20 AM   #37

Liked 1272 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
A 10/22, with the stock 10 round magazine, is adquate for home defense.
ANY gunshot must be a central nervous system shot for instant capacitation. The .22 will do this as well as many other calibers.
Bigger is better, but the little .22 lr (from a rifle) is nothing to sneeze at.
I don't question the ability of the caliber (well I do but to a lesser degree). I question the reliability of the round. I have near 100% faith in every .40 and .45 I have ever shot. I have about 85% faith in any given .22LR round I have shot.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #38

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A .22 carbine is most definitely a lethal weapon and should hold off most home intruders if you can get to it and draw a bead on the perp. However, unless you live alone on a remote estate, it might prove lethal to innocents as well. A shotgun, properly loaded, would be a better choice, and any number of handguns would also be better. It all depends on your proficiency and comfort level with the weapons.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #39
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9020 Times on 5242 Posts
Likes Given: 11905

A .22 does not have much "knockdown" and for that reason I wouldn't even consider it for home defense. I would venture a guess that people have continued to function after multiple non-lethal shots from a .223 (roughly the same frontal area). My son mentioned another forum where this question was posed (it may have been your thread) where a guy asked "would you rather be punched in the chest 20 times by your 5-year old niece, or punched once in the chest by Mike Tyson?". Think about that!

Also, somebody else mentioned the fact that a high-velocity .22 will penetrate walls (a friend of mine accidentally fired my 10/22 inside my house and it passed through two walls before exiting the house. The last exit hole did not indicate that the bullet had slowed much.) This is true. Do some testing at the range with layers of plywood, two-by-fours, sheetrock and what have you. You might be surprised at how deeply a .22 will penetrate. Think about the likelihood of collateral damage to innocents in other rooms or neighboring houses when you are firing up to 100 shots under high-stress out of your .22. I would guess that many of us do not have that type of training to shoot with a high degree of accuracy under those conditions.

Pump action shotgun (any size gauge) for a couple of reasons. First, even though I would not hesitate to shoot somebody breaking into my home, I never want to have to do that. The sound of a pump action chambering a round is enough to make most bad guys wet their pants and give up (RACK!-RACK! "Stop pissing on my floor, A-Hole!"). It also would give an innocent person who has mistakenly entered the wrong house (I admit it, living in a rural setting the door sometimes does not get locked at night) to scream out "don't shoot!" and you can turn on the lights, evaluate the situation and then decide if he is a bad guy who deserves to be shot in the chest with 00 buckshot.

My HD gun is a .357 double-action revolver loaded with Hydra Shok .38 Specials (no need for the magnum loads at close quarters, plus they are a bit quieter.) I also have a speed loader if I need it for multiple bad guys. Here in the People's Republic of California if one were to reload and shoot a bad guy again it would not bode well for you in court.

Another piece of advice I have received from several Sheriff deputies is to make sure the BG is not breathing, is armed (preferably his gun has been fired into the house at least once) and he is inside the house when they get there. Often makes for an open and shut case when (in CA) it comes to that.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #40

Liked 146 Times on 95 Posts

"Knockdown" is an amateur term that has no real meaning. No hand held, or shoulder fired, conventional firearm has the power to knock anyone down.
The .22 Lr does not penetrate more than buckshot. And I imagine it hurts quite a bit more than getting hit by a 5 year old!
Racking a shotgun slide can give away your position.