Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 10/22 for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzlehead View Post
BTW, this is not my home defense weapon as I don't own a 10/22 but if I can find one in a 22mag, with a realistic price tag, I will have one set up tactically, eventually.
The title of this thread is "10/22 for home defense" ???

Go buy a Ruger SR-22, its set up already.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A few months back the wife and I were at the range doing some shooting, so I decided to break out the ol' Rem. 870 12 ga., that I routinely have loaded with 00 buck for HD duty, and started blasting away. Well, the wife who is standing a couple of paces behind me gives me the evil eye and says "YOU are NEVER going to fire that thing in MY house".

Seriously, think about the blast concussion from a 12 ga. inside your house with no hearing protection. Not something I would want to experience unless my life absolutely depended on it. A 10/22 would be loud enough and probably would be OK to take down any burglers who come visiting in the middle of the night.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

"A day of ringing ears" vs "dieing". The only logical choice I see is dieing . I hate it when my ears ring from not wearing hearing protection.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The idea is to stop the threat, not necessarily wound or kill, stop. You will have to make multiple hits quickly with a .22 and even then, they may not stop the threat.

One round of 12ga. 00 Buckshot contains nine balls, each the size of a .32 pistol round. So, one round gives you nine rounds of bullets larger than a .22.

A .22 is better than a stick, but is not an optimum home defense gun. The .22 also has considerable velocity and even though it is a small round, I would still be concerned about over penetration.

You also may want to consider a 20 gauge. It's a great sized HD shotgun in many ways.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 02-05-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #25

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Seriously, think about the blast concussion from a 12 ga. inside your house with no hearing protection. Not something I would want to experience unless my life absolutely depended on it. A 10/22 would be loud enough and probably would be OK to take down any burglers who come visiting in the middle of the night.
Not sure about you but if I was firing a 12 ga in my house my life is depending on the outcome. As far as the 10/22, do you want to bet your life on probably?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #26
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1728 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 545

CCI Velocitors are a 40gr HP at 1400+fps 180+fp. Typical 380 jhp is 180-200 fp.
At close quarters, shotguns have to be aimed. There are a lot of smaller and handicapped people out there that need protection too. For those who can not acquire a handgun or cant handle a shotgun, the 22 carbine makes a lot of sense. It is not the best home defense weapon but it is better than nothing. Besides, you dont stop shooting until the BG goes down. I can see where a lot of people that are afraid of handguns would use this option. 22 rifles are not very intimidating to the shooter and there might be more home defense weapons if the 22 rifles were pushed. Think if a tricked out home defense 22 carbine were marketed, would guns be more acceptable to a larger number of people?

The 410 pump or auto shotguns should not be overlooked. 3 #000 buck is a formidable load. Look at all the Judge revolvers that have been sold.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 02-05-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I can also imagine the BG's attorney could have a field day with his client being shot "multiple" times.....a jury probably won't/can't understand the difference between a .22 and a 12 gauge therefore it could appear you were using the BG for target practice rather than trying to stop him.

Much better choices out there than a 10/22.

In order to become the Master, a politician must act as a servant.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #28

Liked 1033 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 319

I wouldn't use any 22 simply because of it's reliability. I've had to many bullets that are duds for whatever reason.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Easy one bro. Shotgun or bigger caiber pistol with a 9mm being the smallest I would go.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
A few months back the wife and I were at the range doing some shooting, so I decided to break out the ol' Rem. 870 12 ga., that I routinely have loaded with 00 buck for HD duty, and started blasting away. Well, the wife who is standing a couple of paces behind me gives me the evil eye and says "YOU are NEVER going to fire that thing in MY house".

Well, if you're using your gun then I'd say your life is depending on it. I mean seriously...you're going to make a decision on a home defense gun based on how loud it is?

You say the 10/22 will "probably be ok" well, I don't do "probably"...because if I do then the bad guy is "probably" going to kill me and my family. I keep a shotgun loaded with 00 buck shot and two pistols loaded at all times...smallest being a 9mm loaded with Hornady TAP, and the other being either a .45 with 13 rounds of Hornday TAP or a .40 with Hornady TAP as well...I don't want to shoot someone and hope they go down. When I pull that trigger I want there to be no doubt that they have just been hit and are taken out of the fight.

Anyone that can handle a .22 can handle something better...even if it's just a little better. A carbine in a pistol caliber like 9mm or .40 would be a great HD gun, or even a .410 shotgun with slugs/buckshot is better than a .22

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War