10/22 for home defense - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 10/22 for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

It is my belief that any gun will do just fine for home defense in the very rare case that you actually need it.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzlehead View Post
I posted this on another site a while back & didn't get a lot of response so I'll ask you: what do you think of a Ruger 10/22 for home defense? I think a 10/22 with dbl. 50 round clips loaded with CCI Stingers could really ruin someone's day, or night. At close range these are definitely lethal. Think about it; 100 rds (or more) in a light, quick handling semi auto rifle. I'd take one. A 10/22 MAG would be better yet.
My 10/22 is somewhat magazine picky- not sure I would trust any 50 shot magazine to function 100% of the time. If you need anywhere close to that many rounds, you need a different gun. If not, I would go with the stock magazine, a butler creek steel lips, or American Tactical steel lips both of which hold 25 rounds.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #13

There is little doubt that the .22 can be lethal, the problem is it will take a while. In a self-defense situation the goal is to stop the perp, quickly! A shotgun will stop someone quickly, and under stress, you are a whole lot more likely to hit what you need to with an impact area measured in inches compared to about 1/4 inch for the .22 The 10/22 is a great gun, but it really isn't suited for self-defense situations.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 02-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #14

Likes Given: 5

A 22 is always better than no gun at all. But, I do not know about you but I am looking for 1 round to put someone out of a fight, not 100. The longer a fight continues to more of a chance of it going badly.
Remember shoot until the threat is no longer a threat.

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." Patrick Henery ... "The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!" George Washington

Old 02-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzlehead View Post
I posted this on another site a while back & didn't get a lot of response so I'll ask you: what do you think of a Ruger 10/22 for home defense? I think a 10/22 with dbl. 50 round clips loaded with CCI Stingers could really ruin someone's day, or night. At close range these are definitely lethal. Think about it; 100 rds (or more) in a light, quick handling semi auto rifle. I'd take one. A 10/22 MAG would be better yet.
I'm not going to expound on this, as you can see our "seasoned" members have already directed you to the right decision. But I will tell you this; I own a 10 22, and a Charger 10 22 along with many other .22's. I love shooting my .22's. HOWEVER NONE of them are ever loaded & ready for SD purposes. Rimfires are simply NOT reliable enough to stake my life on...

Old 02-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1961 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 586

1st dump the 50. Get good 25 rnd mags and test them with 20 rnds not 25. No hiccups allowed. The longer mags are easier to remove than then the factory 10s. If you are in a mag restricted state, there are 10 rnd long mags available. Use only top quality ammo. I would look at the CCI Velocitors ($7/50) rather than Stingers. Ghost ring Tritium sights and a laser. Maybe a large diameter quality red dot but it is something to turn on and you are battery dependent. Flashlight would not hurt either. A tactical stock is a consideration. The low recoil and ease of handling make the 10-22 very usable. Ammo is relatively cheap which means more practice. A Carbine takes less training than a pistol. 1 hit with a 22 is better than 7 misses with a shotgun. I know someone that has 2 of the 10-22s set up similar to this as handguns are a pain to get where he lives. His small wife can handle them easily. Install a buffer if you use Velocitors frequently.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #17

Ok. I certainly wasn't implying a spray & pray theory here; 25 round mags are suitable as well. I was simply thinking: more ammo (if needed) in one mag means less time swapping mags which is one less thing for someone to worry about. I was also thinking, which I didn't explain, of a more tactical setup. As someone suggested, a light, red dot, laser, etc. Also, a wife may not shoot a pistol well or may be afraid of one but may be more than willing to grab a small rifle. I understand that for the same money you can get a shotgun but again they're not for everybody. BTW, this is not my home defense weapon as I don't own a 10/22 but if I can find one in a 22mag, with a realistic price tag, I will have one set up tactically, eventually.

Teach a child to shoot, it may save a life someday!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2124 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 769

With any .22 in a self-defense situation, you would have to be able to place multiple shots, on target, in the chest and likely the head in short order. Luckily, there is probably no better round to accomplish this... assuming every shot goes bang.

But... a shotgun is the epitome of one-shot knock-down. Which would you rather stake you life on? One pull of a 12ga trigger? Or 5 pulls of a .22?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2124 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I can attest, first hand, what a Stinger hollowpoint shot out of a 10/22 will do.
During my junior year in high school, while out shooting, my friend shot me with one.
They pack a wallop, to be sure. I seriously doubt, if he had shot me in the chest, I would be here to talk about it.
DANG! I hope he gave you a free opportunity to beat the crap out of him.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Something is better than nothing.

Look at it from a different perspective - it works wonders.

If I were robbing a house at night, I would have a gun. I wouldn't have a wimpy gun, I would have a shotgun because they are cheap. Because I don't care about felonies, I saw off the barrel to optimize mobility in tight quarters. In the middle of grabbing valuables, I come around the corner and a couple 32gr bullets the size of pencil erasers hits me in the gut. I laugh! (cause the PCP and thick clothing makes it feel like someone is tickling me) and return fire from the hip with a 1 1/4oz slug. Your family/house is now mine. I die sometime later (maybe), but at least I got my last kicks.

You say, "I'd shoot the guy in the head". Well good luck, your going to need it. Center mass is a much bigger/easier target to hit when your adrenaline gland is wide open. Consider that police officers in stressful situations hit their intended target about 30% of the time. I bet they train more than you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!