Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 10/22 for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 10/22 for home defense

I posted this on another site a while back & didn't get a lot of response so I'll ask you: what do you think of a Ruger 10/22 for home defense? I think a 10/22 with dbl. 50 round clips loaded with CCI Stingers could really ruin someone's day, or night. At close range these are definitely lethal. Think about it; 100 rds (or more) in a light, quick handling semi auto rifle. I'd take one. A 10/22 MAG would be better yet.

Teach a child to shoot, it may save a life someday!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

For the same money you can get a decent shotgun - which is a proven home defense gun. A .22 is better than a baseball bat though...

Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzlehead View Post
I posted this on another site a while back & didn't get a lot of response so I'll ask you: what do you think of a Ruger 10/22 for home defense? I think a 10/22 with dbl. 50 round clips loaded with CCI Stingers could really ruin someone's day, or night. At close range these are definitely lethal. Think about it; 100 rds (or more) in a light, quick handling semi auto rifle. I'd take one. A 10/22 MAG would be better yet.
For defense you need 100% reliability which you probably won't get with a 50 Rd magazine. You also need something that will quickly incapacitate and though .22 can be lethal it isn't likely to stop someone high on PCP fast enough to save you serious injury unless you get very lucky.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

- Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, TX State Rep., GOP, Massacre Survivor

Old 02-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^What NGIB said^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 02-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
For the same money you can get a decent shotgun - which is a proven home defense gun. A .22 is better than a baseball bat though...
This is what I was thinking

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 02-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #6

It is amazing how deadly a .22 can in the hands of a skilled operator. It would work ok, but a shotgun would work alot better, especially for inside the home.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #7

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentghost View Post
It is amazing how deadly a .22 can in the hands of a skilled operator. It would work ok, but a shotgun would work alot better, especially for inside the home.
Key words...skilled operator.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hope to never need a 50 round mag let alone a back up 50 round mag for home defense (spray and pray is the term that comes to mind). Shot placement is the key for home/personal defense. A shotgun makes more sense to me if I am going to use a long gun for home defense.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #9

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I hope to never need a 50 round mag let alone a back up 50 round mag for home defense (spray and pray is the term that comes to mind). Shot placement is the key for home/personal defense. A shotgun makes more sense to me if I am going to use a long gun for home defense.
Great point...a standard 00 buck round is like getting hit with 15 .22 rounds at the same time. In other words 1 pull of the trigger is all it takes.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #10

I can attest, first hand, what a Stinger hollowpoint shot out of a 10/22 will do.
During my junior year in high school, while out shooting, my friend shot me with one.
They pack a wallop, to be sure. I seriously doubt, if he had shot me in the chest, I would be here to talk about it.