Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Update on well-known Ga. homeowner/burgler shooting...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Whoah... Did not know that!

I'd have to "assume" it was a snub nose .38 with very light target loads.

I know our military had problems with .38 stopping power during the "Banana Wars" but that was against highly motivated... "and doped up" insurgents.

Honestly, I'd never heard of the modern .38's, especially the +P's, having any concern about lack of "stopping power" on a criminal target?

All that being said... there is definitely a difference between a heavy load exiting a 4 or 5 inch barrel and a light load exiting a 2 inch.

Tack
I can't make too many assumptions based on the fact that it was reported in multiple stories as a 6 shot revolver. That could be just about anything from a rusted out Iver Johnson to a six inch model 67. I don't know, and I hate to guess. Multiple vital organs were hit, but he wasn't down, but that doesn't really tell us anything we can hang our hat on.

About the only things we do know is that as is common in self defense shootings there was a clean miss. We also know she did in fact stop the bad guy from doing harm to her and her family.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #32
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Livers do not like getting perforated by GOOD expanding hollow points at decent velocity. Since we do not know what ammo was used it is all conjecture at this point, BUT there are still plenty of folks using 158 gr RNL or FMJ ammo in .38s. These do not perform well in human targets. The RNL bullet is the original "cop killer" bullet as police officers using them lost gunfights with dramatic regularity.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #33

Liked 2308 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I don't think the .38 is underpowered based on this incident. I have always thought the .38 was underpowered. Apparently, so did many others or there wouldn't be a .357 magnum. If the .38 was so great, why would they design a new round based on the same projectile?
do you know how many stories there are of people walking away from 9mm and many other various rounds? again, 80% of those shot with ANY pistol survive. pistols just don't compare with rifles and shotguns when it comes to power.

if the criminal is STOPPED, it is a successful home defense imo. and honestly, we have no idea what type of ammo was used in this shooting.

the 38 did the job in this instance, it stopped the criminal. plain and simple imo.

but then again.......i am far from an expert on the matter. guess we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited by hawkguy; 04-05-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #34

Liked 2340 Times on 1521 Posts

All this is assuming the caliber was reported correctly. The media has a poor track record with gun facts. It could have even been the timid .38 s&w

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #35

Liked 4425 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Livers do not like getting perforated by GOOD expanding hollow points at decent velocity. Since we do not know what ammo was used it is all conjecture at this point, BUT there are still plenty of folks using 158 gr RNL or FMJ ammo in .38s. These do not perform well in human targets. The RNL bullet is the original "cop killer" bullet as police officers using them lost gunfights with dramatic regularity.
Robo... Perhaps you can help me.

Due to the difficulty of drawing from the 4 o'clock position while in my truck, I typically also carry my Ruger SP101 wedged between the 60/40 split seat at my right thigh.

It's always been loaded with .357 Mag but I was considering stepping it down to a .38 SPC load, mainly because should I need to fire it, it will be in the enclosed cab...without hearing protection... Ouch... LOUD... Ouch

Is there an option for a decent .38 or .38 +P load with
Lower decibels than the .357 Mag?

Tack