Update on well-known Ga. homeowner/burgler shooting... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Update on well-known Ga. homeowner/burgler shooting...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I think that is probably true.

Hmmm........when conceal carry comes to Illinois.....and if I decide to carry......it will be a .380. I'll have to think about this some more.
If that's all you can carry or shoot, it will be better than nothing, but there are some pretty compact 9mm's out there, too. Please look around before you buy, and include the Sig P938 in your short list. Recoil is much less in this 9mm than the .380 LCP, but it does have a manual safety that may be too tiny for you to operate.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #22

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Look at the Ruger LC9, Taurus PT709 which is 9m and the Taurus Pt740 which is 40sw. All three are compact and great ccw's.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7795 Times on 4682 Posts
Likes Given: 9797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Tack,

One story (Fox news) detailed the hits as head/face, both lungs, and liver. Another story (abc news) reports a family member saying he got hit in the lungs, liver, and stomach. I normally wouldn't call the lungs and liver grazing wounds, or non-vital areas. My thoughts are inadequate penetration.
Point taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
No. No. No. Nothing smaller than 9mm. Better 40sw or 45acp.
I'll have to rethink this. I posted a thread when I was considering buying my Sig P238. The battle between 9mm and .380 raged on and on. I went with "if you do your part the .380 will do it's part".

Quote:
If that's all you can carry or shoot, it will be better than nothing, but there are some pretty compact 9mm's out there, too. Please look around before you buy, and include the Sig P938 in your short list. Recoil is much less in this 9mm than the .380 LCP, but it does have a manual safety that may be too tiny for you to operate.
I already have a Sig P238 and I LOVE that gun. I may have to buy another of something else.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
This scares me because I had always regarded 38 special as a pretty good round. After all, it was widely used by law Inforcement for many years and dropped for semi-autos with more round capacity and faster reload. But now I'm starting to doubt it effectiveness. I'd be interesting to know what type of round the homeowner was using.
In most departments around here the .38 Special was dropped in favor of the .357 magnum long before the move to semi-autos, especially for uniformed officers. You very rarely saw anybody with a semi-auto until JSO went with the Glocks following the 1986 Miami shootout. Next thing you knew, everybody was carrying them.

As far as the .38 Special is concerned, it is the low end of acceptable for a platform that is already barely marginal for defense use, and I'm talking about handguns in general. Now, take a barely acceptable round and give it less barrel so you can conceal it, and it's a very bad combination.

I don't know what gun this woman had, and I don't know what ammo she was using, but the hits she got should have incapacitated her attacker right there. They didn't, but keep in mind, she did get out safely with her kids. The end goal was reached. She stopped her attacker from doing what he intended to do, and lived to talk about it.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #25

Liked 2570 Times on 1671 Posts

What round makes a big difference in .38 spl. Many standard loads are barely over 200 ft/lbs, I use the speer gold dot 135gr +p, which is 280 ft/lbs in my snubbie. That's a big difference.

I too, am curious what load was used. Home invasion morons will see more than my snubbie.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #26

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, reading that story makes me sick. It reminds me of that gal in a flowing dress / robe, with an old time measuring scale in her right hand raised up, and she's blind folded.

I propose that symbol of "justice" be replaced with that same woman, in a flowing dress, still blind folded not seeing what actually happened, or hearing the victims account wearing ear plugs or Peltor ear muffs.

Have her scale removed and replaced with a slapping hand to a wrist.

Justice is blind, deaf and liberal... Ten years, give me a break!

There's a distinct line between what I consider a human and an animal. If a bear were to break down my back door because he / she smelled and knew food was in there. I wouldn't be trying to patch up its wounds, send it to the emergency vet on my dime to save it, try to rehibilitate it, or spend any money trying to find out the "why's" of its nature and crime?

A human has free will, the freedom of choice, opposing thumbs, critical thinking, rational thought... Who's really the animal?

The bear broke in because it was most probably hungry / starving. The animal broke in for either blood lust, greed and mayhem or both.

Rant / OFF

Last edited by Dennis845; 04-03-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #27

Liked 5004 Times on 2427 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Tack,

One story (Fox news) detailed the hits as head/face, both lungs, and liver. Another story (abc news) reports a family member saying he got hit in the lungs, liver, and stomach. I normally wouldn't call the lungs and liver grazing wounds, or non-vital areas. My thoughts are inadequate penetration.
Whoah... Did not know that!

I'd have to "assume" it was a snub nose .38 with very light target loads.

I know our military had problems with .38 stopping power during the "Banana Wars" but that was against highly motivated... "and doped up" insurgents.

Honestly, I'd never heard of the modern .38's, especially the +P's, having any concern about lack of "stopping power" on a criminal target?

All that being said... there is definitely a difference between a heavy load exiting a 4 or 5 inch barrel and a light load exiting a 2 inch.

Tack

Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #28

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I was just checking the Hornady web site for specs and I will most definitely try to accustom my wife to the 357 mag cartridge. Specs talk for them self:

38 special +p critical defense 110 gr
Muzzle 1090 fps/290 ft lbs.
50 feet 997 fps/243 ft lbs

Vs

357 mag 125 gr critical defense

Muzzle 1200 fps/400 ft lbs
50 feet 1084 fps/326 ft lbs.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #29

Liked 3145 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2195

Quote:
This scares me because I had always regarded 38 special as a pretty good round. After all, it was widely used by law Inforcement for many years and dropped for semi-autos with more round capacity and faster reload. But now I'm starting to doubt it effectiveness. I'd be interesting to know what type of round the homeowner was using.
idk why it seems 38 special is considered "underpowered" based on this incident? IMO, this was a great example of a firearm doing what its supposed to do....stopping the bad guy.

AND there has been numerous instances of folks walking away form multiple hits by virtually ALL calibers of pistols.

statistically, 80% of all people shot with a handgun survive. its not 38....its pistols imo.

shotgun stopping power has been pretty much undisputed however....

Last edited by hawkguy; 04-04-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
idk why it seems 38 special is considered "underpowered" based on this incident? IMO, this was a great example of a firearm doing what its supposed to do....stopping the bad guy.

AND there has been numerous instances of folks walking away form multiple hits by virtually ALL calibers of pistols.

statistically, 80% of all people shot with a handgun survive. its not 38....its pistols imo.

shotgun stopping power has been pretty much undisputed however....
I don't think the .38 is underpowered based on this incident. I have always thought the .38 was underpowered. Apparently, so did many others or there wouldn't be a .357 magnum. If the .38 was so great, why would they design a new round based on the same projectile?