Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Update on well-known Ga. homeowner/burgler shooting...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 155 Times on 92 Posts

Many of you may have heard about this home invasion from a few months ago. It was near Atlanta, and news stations around the country played the graphic 911 calls in which you could hear this

“Melinda, if he opens that door you shoot, you shoot him, you understand?” the victim’s husband, Donnie Herman, could be heard saying to his wife on the 911 call.
Donnie Herman called 911 just seconds before a man broke into his home where his wife and two children were hiding in a crawl space.
“She shot him, she’s shooting him. She’s shooting him, she’s shooting him,” Donnie Herman said in the call.
Donnie Herman wasn’t at home, but he had his wife on one line and the police on another.
Investigators said Paul Slater pried his way into the family’s home on Henderson Ridge Lane.
According to authorities, he used a crowbar to bust open three doors inside the home as he chased Melinda Herman and her children.
Herman then shot Slater five times with a .38 caliber handgun.
“Shoot him again, Shoot him,” Donnie Herman said over the phone.

Result:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/burglar-shot-home-invasion-gets-10-years/nW9nt/

A burglar shot multiple times during a home invasion will spend 10 years in prison for the crime.

Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh was the only reporter there when Paul Ali Slater pleaded guilty to burglary charges Tuesday morning. The judge sentenced him to 20 years, with 10 years to serve, and also banished Slater from Walton County.

Investigators said Slater broke into a Loganville home on Henderson Drive in January and pursued a woman and two children inside. Investigators said Slater broke through a bedroom door, a bathroom door and a closet door before he reached an attic crawl space where the woman was clutching a .38-calibur handgun.

"The crawl space was there. I figured there might be a safe or something there that might obtain jewelry or something. That was the only door I opened, the only door," Slater said.

The mother shot Slater five times.

In court, Slater denied going after anyone. He insisted he thought the home was empty.

"I knocked on the door. I tried to take every precaution to make sure I was going into a vacant home," he said.

Slater suggested that he committed the crime for his family. His lawyer previously said Slater has six children.

"Times is rough for my family, and I made the decision to commit a crime. I was going in the house to steal some jewelry," Slater said.

Online records show Slater was released from jail on battery charges in August, and he has been arrested six times since 2008.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep arrested 6 times since 08!!! And what crook breaks in a house and goes to the attic first as he states??? What an a-hole....enjoy prison and your 5 well earned bullet scars

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 04-05-2013 at 02:44 PM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19605 Times on 11128 Posts
Likes Given: 49359

just reinforces my theory. two types of people end up in prison, those who are stupid and those who do stupid things.

sometimes, justice does prevail.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

We have a burglar of an occupied dwelling shot five times with a .38 surviving to spend 10 years in jail? A burglar who, according to other press releases, was able to go downstairs, retreat to his car and drive away? I am thrilled beyond belief that this lady stopped this guy from harming her kids and herself, but with a little chemical enhancement on the bad guys part this could have still been a tragedy.

Let's assume for a minute that some dust or meth had been involved. This guy, after being shot multiple times, still had the strength and motor skills to navigate a stairway, get out of the house and drive. Do you think he wouldn't have had the strength and motor skills to attack if he had just a little bit of chemical courage on board?

Okay, so why am I harping on this? Too many people are shot with .38's and not put down immediately. Too many are still in possession of the ability to fight after multiple hits with a .38. Too many people translate success at the range into self defense skills. They think that good hits in the K5 means they can carry a more manageable firearm. They think that they will have time to take aim and slowly squeeze the trigger. Wrong, wrong, wrong. In a real world self defense shooting you want the bad guy down right now. It doesn't matter if he lives another 70 years as long as he is incapacitated NOW! This guy was not incapacitated in spite of multiple hits. To put it bluntly, she needed more gun.

Anyway, kudos to the husband for encouraging his wife to do what was necessary. Kudos to the woman for giving it her best and for protecting herself and her kids. It turned out to have a happy ending, which is always a good thing.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #4

Liked 106 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm glad she was able to stop him. I only wish she was a better shot, or maybe had a more effective weapon. And 10 years is a ridiculously soft sentence for this guy. He's a repeat offender. Does anybody really believe he'll behave himself when he gets out the next time?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxpress View Post
I'm glad she was able to stop him. I only wish she was a better shot, or maybe had a more effective weapon. And 10 years is a ridiculously soft sentence for this guy. He's a repeat offender. Does anybody really believe he'll behave himself when he gets out the next time?
She was a pretty good shot. She only missed with one round out of six which is remarkable under true self defense circumstances. She hit him in the torso and the head and neck area. You couldn't ask for more. What she needed was more gun.

Anyway, the story has a happy ending. She did manage to get away, the bad guy was caught, and above all, her kids are safe. I hope this doesn't cause too many nightmares for her in the future, but the fact that she was protecting her kids should make it easier.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #6

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Does it sound to anyone else as if Slater was trying to hint at the fact that the woman should be facing charges? He said he didn't attack anyone, knocked on the door, and only opened one door. How the hell do you try and justify any of your actions after forcefully (or hell, it doesn't even have to be forceful) entering a home that he knew was not his...and then be mad at the woman who shot you for protecting her and her children's lives?

Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ View Post
Does it sound to anyone else as if Slater was trying to hint at the fact that the woman should be facing charges? He said he didn't attack anyone, knocked on the door, and only opened one door. How the hell do you try and justify any of your actions after forcefully (or hell, it doesn't even have to be forceful) entering a home that he knew was not his...and then be mad at the woman who shot you for protecting her and her children's lives?
It can't be his fault. It has to be somebody else's. He was a good boy that never did nobody no harm, and he was trying to turn his life around.

Bovine excrement! He was carrying a crowbar for Pete's sake. I would have taken the shot, too.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #8

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

That's an understatement! I would have met him at the door with every magazine I've got for my 1911 and emptied every bullet I've got in him!

And don't lecture me on the legality of what I just said, I realize you can't do that legally. But it is my firm belief that the gov't should have no right to tell me what I can or cannot do with someone who enters my home without my permission.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #9

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I had heard of the incident on the news but up to now I wasn't aware of the caliber weapon the homeowner was using. Now I'm worried because what my wife has at home for her protection when I'm not there is a snub nose 357 loaded with Hornady critical defense 38 special +p. Shes good at the range using the 38 cal round but under distress things change. If it would have been her, would she have been able to stop him with 38 cal round? Maybe I should load it up with 357 Hornady critical protection?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #10

Liked 4430 Times on 2148 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ View Post
That's an understatement! I would have met him at the door with every magazine I've got for my 1911 and emptied every bullet I've got in him!

And don't lecture me on the legality of what I just said, I realize you can't do that legally. But it is my firm belief that the gov't should have no right to tell me what I can or cannot do with someone who enters my home without my permission.
Firm beliefs are nice and all... I've got em too... but the fact of the matter is that "if" any of us ever need to shoot an attacker, a grand jury will have 3 months to scrutinize a decision we had 3/10th's of a second to make.

Combine that with the fact that most "confrontational" shooting end "either" when a gun runs "empty" OR someone is on the ground.

Also, it's helpful to recognize that any grand jury will be considering "both" the shooter and the corpse... or in this case, the wounded thief.

A mother alone in the country with her 2 twin girls will get WAY MORE leeway than adult males like us. Not saying that's right... it just is.

Doc's earlier post about "enough gun" is absolutely correct.

Some of the best advise I ever read was that "if" forced to shoot... don't shoot the bad guy until "you" think he's done... shoot the bad guy until "he" thinks he's done... I absolutely agree with this but I also recognize that every round I fire will have a "lawyer" attached to it so...

Bring enough gun.

Tack