unjustified shooting - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > unjustified shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

The family's reaction is typical of the families of people who commit crimes of opportunity. These people grow up learning that they can get away with wrongdoing by playing the old "teacher is just picking on me because of my race/ethnic group/economic status". When little Johnny gets in trouble in school for some act of violence, disobedience, or disruption, he runs to Momma, who then goes to school and raises hell with the teacher or principal, threatening to sue, etc. So little Johnny grows up believing that he can use that same excuse to get away with adult crimes when he is an adult. So Momma is not doing him any favors when she teaches him to ignore the rules/law.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:07 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 126 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Euthanasia... Or "Death with Dignity" as we call it, should be legal everywhere, and unless you've watched a parent suffer through the slow drowning death that is Stage 5 Lung Cancer, please, keep your indignant attitude about euthanasia on the shelf.

Tack
I totally agree. A person should have control over their own life. If he or she is suffering and terminally ill let it be there decision to end it or not. In the end it is between them and their maker.

Anyhow, the sad thing is that it would not surprise me one bit if there was an inquest into this shooting and some hot **** young DA tries to make a case for the "victim". All in the name of future political advances for himself.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I totally agree. A person should have control over their own life. If he or she is suffering and terminally ill let it be there decision to end it or not. In the end it is between them and their maker.

Anyhow, the sad thing is that it would not surprise me one bit if there was an inquest into this shooting and some hot **** young DA tries to make a case for the "victim". All in the name of future political advances for himself.
Yep. Traditionally, a DA will take or reject a case based upon whether he/she/it believes they can get a conviction. Truth and morality are not even considered.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Sad, but true in most jurisdictions. Many DA's are VERY stat driven. The prosecutors who get high conviction rates are rewarded with better jobs. Elected DA's want to be able to claim their office is doing a great job at re-election time

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 07-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #25

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 636

I just thought I'd post a contrast to what this thread is about, instead of starting a new one. There was a recent fatal shooting in Concord, NH. It was deemed justified. The guy actually shot and killed his own friend. There was apparently some alcohol and properly prescribed meds involved, on the part of the shootee. Of further note, the guy fired a shot into the car he was in, did not hit him, and it did NOT deter the attacker (his buddy). He shot him once more, in the chest, and game over. I point this out because I know this has also been the topic of some discussion here lately, in that "22LR for self defense" thread.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The single most important factor in the judgment of the rightful, justified shooting is that the circumstances of the shooting and the past history of the shooter be squeaky clean. An ambitious prosecutor will examine it all with a biased mindset, hoping for another notch in his gun. So if you carry, be sure there is nothing going on (alcohol, drugs, participation in a vice transaction) with you that can destroy your aura of innocence if the SHTF.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:45 AM   #27

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 636

Actually, funny you should mention that. The story also stated that BOTH of these guys had had some issues in the past. Granted, the guy who got shot had more, but the shooter's record was certainly NOT squeaky clean. Frankly, they both came off to me as a couple of dumbasses.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 07-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2121 Times on 1147 Posts
Likes Given: 3192

Quote:
Yep. Traditionally, a DA will take or reject a case based upon whether he/she/it believes they can get a conviction. Truth and morality are not even considered.
This is most likely true of most states. Oklahoma is a little different. In OK the police cannot arrest a homeowner who shoots an intruder unless there is evidence that a crime has been committed. The DA here is not required to take a "righteous" shoot to the grand jury: He/she can simply decline to prosecute. Our former DA gave passes for three justfiable homicides in an 18 month period.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here is another case that could legitimately be considered unjustified, because an old man shot and killed a pregnant female burglar and her unborn child when she was running away. She had told him she was pregnant, and begged him not to shoot her:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/25/man-80-who-says-shot-burglar-after-told-him-was-pregnant-could-be-charged/

Old 07-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2121 Times on 1147 Posts
Likes Given: 3192

Yeah, that old man may be in big trouble.