Texas school answer to Sandy Hook - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Texas school answer to Sandy Hook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 32 Posts

A little off topic, but there was a ccw face to face with the Oregon mall shooter. Look it up now on join 6 news.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #42

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Every county, state, and federal office/building/school should have some type of security in place that will help alleviate instances such as these from ever hapening again. I am a state employee, and after 9-11 they secured every state building by having every state employee to swipe a placard in order to gain entrance to a building, and they installed video cameras everywhere including the parking garage. I would say the biggest deterent would be having security guards placed at every school will go along way to keep our children safe.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #43

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

We also have some highly trained Vets. Who could do the job of protection.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by VannMann View Post
We also have some highly trained Vets. Who could do the job of protection.
In most school districts the problem is money. They can barely pay the teachers and staff. (However, they can always come up with a few $million for a new swimming pool/nautatorium, or a new basketball building). The 15 schools where I live have a grand total of 14 sheriff deputies who spend part of their time at the schools, mostly so they can write tickets for people who speed thru the school zone. So, it's also a matter of priorities. If they have to choose between keeping the kids safe or having a winning football, swimming, baseball, or basketball team, their choice is already made.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #45

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckenbill
I don't think the issue is teachers being stable and shooting kids is the issue. The bigger issue is that your putting more guns into schools that at one point or another could be accessible to angry and bullied kids in a moment of anger. A 300 lbs 6 foot 5 kid that wants to get that gun from his teacher WILL get that gun from his teacher. I think an armed security guard outside the classroom patrolling the grounds or stationed at the main entrance is a better and safer move for all parties. Just my thoughts.
So you're saying that a teacher, carrying concealed, who no one knows is carrying, will be overpowered and have her weapon taken. Yet an armed security guard, in uniform, who everyone knows is carrying, can't be overpowered?

The beauty of CCW is that no one knows who's packing.
An armed guard standing outside, smoking a butt... Yeah, that'll work until a psycho realizes he can drop him from the bushes, 50 yards away with a deer rifle, then walk up to the school unchalkenged

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

People Like This 
Old 12-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/story/Armed-man-faced-Clackamas-shooter-didnt-shoot/VWkeHrBOfk-Wu7OcAH0RqQ.cspx

That link to KOIN6

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

"All I heard was shots and I couldn't confirm it, I didn't know if there was a second shooter," Meli said. "I didn't want to shoot him, go over to try to secure his weapon and get hit by a different shooter I didn't see."

Bock-bock-bock-bo-o-ock
He was more worried about getting hit by a second, nonexistant shooter than he was concerned about the bystanders.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #48
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1352 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 3412

Back in the days of my youth, a person like the CT shooter would have been put into an institution to be cared for and properly educated in accordance with their needs and then released back to the parents or guardian at the appropriate time. They were state funded institutions, so there was no cost to the parent. I believe that if the CT shooter had been taken care of in the afore mentioned manner, we might not be having this conversation.

One more thing, I am sick and tired of folks blaming video game and movies as an additional cause for instances like this. I play them and watch them, my kids played and watched them as I allowed them to do, when they were the appropriate age and now they are all well functioning members of society. Three of them are in the Military and one is a house wife. So it is not the games or movies that lead to this and other situations like this. the responsibility falls on the parent or guardian. Just my opinion here.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 12-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #49

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
"All I heard was shots and I couldn't confirm it, I didn't know if there was a second shooter," Meli said. "I didn't want to shoot him, go over to try to secure his weapon and get hit by a different shooter I didn't see."

Bock-bock-bock-bo-o-ock
He was more worried about getting hit by a second, nonexistant shooter than he was concerned about the bystanders.
While I agree with that sentiment somewhat. It also serves to dispel the MYTH the anti gun morons claim, that people will rush in, guns blazing, mow down innocents and make a bad situation worse.

We have a definite example of a CCW keeping a calm head, thinking analytically and responding the best he deemed necessary, considering events.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #50

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
So you're saying that a teacher, carrying concealed, who no one knows is carrying, will be overpowered and have her weapon taken. Yet an armed security guard, in uniform, who everyone knows is carrying, can't be overpowered?

The beauty of CCW is that no one knows who's packing.
An armed guard standing outside, smoking a butt... Yeah, that'll work until a psycho realizes he can drop him from the bushes, 50 yards away with a deer rifle, then walk up to the school unchalkenged
Exactly! the school in Texas, and any school who follows suit, does not tell you WHICH teachers are carrying, nor do they tell you how MANY teachers are carrying. They had the superintendent on the national news last night, and he said that he will not say who or how many teachers have permission to carry concealed, simply that they allow it, and that there are teachers who do.

so that 6 foot, 250 lb jerkface who wants to get physical with a teacher, isn't going to know WHICH teachers are packing.