Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Remington Coming to Alabama

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20836 Times on 11848 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

i was wondering if this might be in some way a move from the SAFE Act of NY.

yes i knew they had some government contracts going on as well.

maybe this is part of a plan to move completely out of New York when those contracts expire. maybe they are thumbing their nose at NY for their stance on the 2nd amendment and gun rights.

only time will tell what is going to happen.

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 02-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #22
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5871 Times on 2904 Posts
Likes Given: 6229

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny91 View Post
I used to work for remington I can assure u the only benefit u get is half off there product they don't care about there employees they focus on quantity and not quality u can't master both its one or the other

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app
I agree, they have a high quality workforce, ive known a few folks that have worked there over the years. They also have a very high overhead from that workforce and just about anything to do with New York State. Remington other than a skeleton plant and a museum is doomed as soon as the big cheese Chuckie Screwmore dropped in their laps dries up.

They would be leaving even if the safe act hadnt passed-- manufacturing in NYS is impossible, ask the other 50 mills and plants former employees living off foodstamps in Utica. So sad...
Old 02-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 511

It's not like they are going to be able to hire a quality workforce in AL for peanuts. The cost of living around the Remington plant will go up. You will see a lot of apartments popping up around the remington plant. These apartments will have to rent for around $800 a month to turn a profit. One can buy acreage cheap in AL but construction costs are the same all across the south.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #24
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5871 Times on 2904 Posts
Likes Given: 6229

Local news just announced this, plant will stay open but likely have a reduced workforce in coming years. They arent saying they are running away from NY, just advantaging opportunities in other places. Cant slap NY or the Feds when a large part of your income comes from them. Bama will certainly benefit by great jobs but I bet thats one of the most automated plants in the nation by the time its done (bet it comes with a crapload of highly trained former New Yorkers as the bosses also).

So now I gotta ask Alabamers and others a question, do you accept the jobs and overlook the fact that Remington is substantially supported by and in a state where the citizens cannot buy the same firearms they themselves created in Ilion? Remington hasnt come out as a company against the safe act and their silence has been deafening here where it matters, Upstate NY. Is it ok because they will spend a billion in Bama?

You know what else wants to leave NY? That would be Andy Coumo, he wants to be POTUS and you need to watch him closely even if you live in Bama or Texas. Hillary is probably just as unelectable as she was the last 2 times, whos next? How about a "Democratic Centrist Progressive" that ran the biggest state economy in the nation and passed "meaningful Firearms Control".

Just remember, when you open the gate wide to one thing, you may get something else with it. Remington is a Trojan Horse we wont miss once weve replaced them with something we can live with...

Old 02-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1927 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 370

this is probably a whole heckuva lot more about cheap labor than it is about pro-2A, the SAFE act etc. The plans were in place for this (I bet) before the SAFE act ever hit the streets

Union labor cost in NY State versus Alabama? Probably twice the rate of pay. That's why Remington is also in Mayfield, KY and North Carolina. That's why a lot of companies of all types locate plants, distribution centers etc. in rural areas. Lower cost of living and less union activity.

If they can score a few points with gun buyers while they are at it I'm sure their marketing folks know how to make hay out of that as well. But guaranteed this is about labor costs first and foremost.

People Like This 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #26

Liked 882 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 1388

Cheaper labor im sure is a factor. But if you could get a look at the 20yr tax abatements they will get from city,county, state. All the upgrades, moving expense, construction, etc. Will cost them little, or nothing. They had all that lined up before the "unsafe act"

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #27

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Web's posts make most sense. I couldn't see a business running at the same speed after opening a new facility expansion or not. If investments in people and resources are made I would expect it to be at the new facility. I also would expect to see the NY facility to either phase out or reduce their capacity.

I personally don't think there is any way NY will NOT be affected - employment and tax benefits lost by the opening of the Alabama facility.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #28

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The question is how many times can the freedom group retrain a new staff and maintain both quality and production? Anyone in AL that would be ready to work on day one is already employed by Kia. The Kia complex is huge with an on site electronics plant.
AH......No......

The Kia plant is located in West Point GA, not Alabama. The Hyundai plant is located near Montgomery in the I85 corridor. I visit the Kia facility quite often, there is no electronics plant on site. The sequencer MOBIS, has an interior subassembly operation that provides the dash modules for IP and navigation, there is NO Electronic assembly there...parts are sourced from Korea and China and assembled prior to being transported to the main assembly plant.

The Huntsville area is full of automotive,defense, missile and aviation related industries which provide an over qualified pool of workers and professionals who are very well acquainted with manufacturing and quality..

Last edited by crockett007; 02-18-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
AH......No......

The Kia plant is located in West Point GA, not Alabama. The Hyundai plant is located near Montgomery in the I85 corridor. I visit the Kia facility quite often, there is no electronics plant on site. The sequencer MOBIS, has an interior subassembly operation that provides the dash modules for IP and navigation, there is NO Electronic assembly there...parts are sourced from Korea and China and assembled prior to being transported to the main assembly plant.

The Huntsville area is full of automotive,defense, missile and aviation related industries which provide an over qualified pool of workers and professionals who are very well acquainted with manufacturing and quality..
West Point is right on the GA line. If the KIA plant is in GA it is at mile maker 1 or 2 on I-85. I never looked it up to see the exact address. When you pass the Kia plant it is like a city right on the state line

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I am a machinist and gunsmith and used to work for remington and I can tell u right now u can either have quality OR quantity ...there is absolutely no way u can habe both it ant going to happen ......for example marlin used to be a great gun there 30-30 lever action beautiful gun now that Remington took over there wood stocks r now clone wood there not as smooth actions it rattles...they r to worried about one thing "OTD" out the door ..how much they get out the door they don't care how its done just as long as they meet the quote the only reason I buy my bullets from remington or ar parts from taco is cause they own most of the firearms industry ....I know a inside source at ruger Saud remington tried to buy them out and they laughed remington out the door said there company is worth twice of what remington all together is worth

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app