NRA Press conference - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > NRA Press conference

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #41
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4606 Times on 1564 Posts
Likes Given: 1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
South Carolina is presently working on a bill to do the following:
1. Exempt South Carolina and its residents from all federal gun laws.
2. Prohibit any gun-free zones.
3. Allow any resident who is eligible to own a gun to carry either concealed or open carry anywhere in the state.
4. Make it legal for certain convicted felons to own and carry a gun for personal protection if the felony for which they were convicted did not involve violence nor a weapon.
5. Make it unlawful for any business, church, or school to post a sign prohibiting firearms.
6. Permit faculty and staff to carry firearms in school, as well as any adult who is eligible to possess a firearm.

It will be an uphill battle, but SC is a strong conservative state, so I have some hope...
South Carolina has also filed a petition with Washington requesting to secede from the United States.

HOW ABOUT A SOURCE FOR YOUR INFORMATION.

First, I follow pretty closely what S.C. is doing.
Your number 1 should read S.C. wants to exempt firearms MADE in S.C.
The rest I can't find anything on !

NSDQ

Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #42
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21338 Times on 12108 Posts
Likes Given: 53184

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Being pro gun and asking the old antigun question "Why does anyone need that"? Makes me wonder?

With all due respect, I think you may be missing my point. I personally don't care if you, or anyone else, legally owns or operates a Barrett 50 cal. The question in my mind, at some point, becomes, where do you draw the line? Should a guy be able to purchase a 16 inch deck-gun from a battleship? How about a 20mm cannon, etc. That was my point. There has to be a boundary out there somewhere - we should not be afraid to be a part of where that boundary gets set. The NRA (of which I am a member) is very powerful but not more powerful than the US Government. IMHO, 2nd amendment supporters/protectors will be very disappointed if the NRA simply says "we got nothing" when it comes to this discussion - because there will be decisions made that we have to live by, and I for one would want the NRA to be involved with that.
Quote:
I don't propose any Axxe. I just believe it is important to be a part of the process otherwise we can lose big. I don't want to give up jack squat
in your own words, "there has to be a boundary out there somewhere" my response was there already is and who did it restrict or penalize? the law abiding gun owners. another of your own words, "we should not be afraid to be part of where that boundary gets set" sounds like we need to help them set new boundaries instead of the ones we already have. personally i would like to see the boundaries removed!

want to be part of the process, then start by seeing about getting like-minded people to join the NRA or some other gun rights group. send some emails to your congressmen and representatives. to help the process in retaining our gun rights and to fight the liberal gun haters will take the strength of numbers.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1985 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
want to be part of the process, then start by seeing about getting like-minded people to join the NRA or some other gun rights group.
clearly I am more moderate in my views than a great many on this site. writing congress, etc, yeah I get that man. I'm 49.

the whole boundaries thing? it's going to happen. because the media loves the liberal agenda, and 2nd amendment stuff is right up there with abortion rights as major emotional hot buttons, our spineless congressmen will give something away on this. THAT's why I say, the NRA should be saying "you want to talk about gun control? we're right with you. let's talk about how we can keep guns of any type out of the wrong people's hands" . my concern is, in lieu of that, the agenda will be determined 100% by anti-gun folks.

as a side note, I am clearly not as hard-core about what weapons should be available to John Q Public as many on this site. So what. I'm polite about my views, and never go after people or call them idiots or trolls etc. I have never and will never support anti gun legislators. if members of this site can't handle some different takes on some of these firearms issues, I think that is kind of a sad commentary. I am a gun owner and an NRA member. I am proud of that, and while I am always open to making new friends and learning from other folks, I seek no one's approval

Last edited by chloeshooter; 12-29-2012 at 08:13 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #44
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21338 Times on 12108 Posts
Likes Given: 53184

Quote:
clearly I am more moderate in my views than a great many on this site. writing congress, etc, yeah I get that man. I'm 49.

the whole boundaries thing? it's going to happen. because the media loves the liberal agenda, and 2nd amendment stuff is right up there with abortion rights as major emotional hot buttons, our spineless congressmen will give something away on this. THAT's why I say, the NRA should be saying "you want to talk about gun control? we're right with you. let's talk about how we can keep guns of any type out of the wrong people's hands" . my concern is, in lieu of that, the agenda will be determined 100% by anti-gun folks.

as a side note, I am clearly not as hard-core about what weapons should be available to John Q Public as many on this site. So what. I'm polite about my views, and never go after people or call them idiots or trolls etc. I have never and will never support anti gun legislators. if members of this site can't handle some different takes on some of these firearms issues, I think that is kind of a sad commentary. I am a gun owner and an NRA member. I am proud of that, and while I am always open to making new friends and learning from other folks, I seek no one's approval
well i am not a moderate nor do i have moderate views on issues. i am pretty much all in, or all out. i don't like being a fence sitter or wishy washy. i try to make informed decisions on issues based on facts and form my own conclusions based on whether my conscience can abide by that decision. there are times when i am undecided about issues, because sometimes i either don't have all the facts or am still waiting for the truth to be revealed.

i am not attacking you, simply trying to get clarification of your opinions. i just happen to believe that the boundaries have already been set in place many years ago. and those who suffer are the law abiding gun owners. history and time have proven that gun control just doesn't work and only those who can legally own guns are the one who are actually penalized and not the criminals.
People Like This 
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1267 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Threetango:
What I saw was a local newscast on TV, which was a summary of the stuff..

There are several bills in progress. Here is one about the teachers:
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Article 5, Chapter 1, Title 59 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"Section 59-1-490. (A) Subject to approval by the appropriate local school board, a public school employee who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 may possess a firearm on the premises of a school campus where he is employed, provided the employee:

(1) keeps the firearm on his person at all times while on the premises;
(2) keeps the weapon concealed when not in use;
(3) uses only frangible bullets in an effort to avoid ricochets;
(4) provides written notification of his intent to carry the firearm to the principal of the school where the weapon will be carried;
(5) successfully completes and biennially renews certification as a precision marksman by SLED; and
(6) has no history of violence or unmanaged anger documented by his employer.
(B) A school board may only deny an employee of his ability to carry a firearm on school property under this section upon a finding of just cause.
(C) An employee who violates a provision of this section may not be permitted to carry any firearm on public school property for five years from the date of the violation, and SLED shall revoke his concealed weapons permit and may not terminate this revocation or issue a new permit to him for a period of five years following the date of revocation.
(D) For the purposes of this section:
(1) 'Frangible bullet' means a bullet designed to disintegrate into tiny particles upon impact to minimize their penetration for reasons of range safety to limit environmental impact, or to limit the danger behind the intended target.
(2) 'Public school employee' means a person employed by a school district, as defined in Section 59-1-160, or a public institution of higher learning, as defined in Section 59-103-5."

I have copied some others, will post them as I get them organized.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #46

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Something that complicates the worthy solution (arming the staff) is the "no guns within 1000 feet of a school" Federal law. I think that if a school armed the civilian teachers, the next thing that would happen is that the playboys of the "Secret" Service or FIB - er - I mean FBI would arrest them on that grounds. That dumb ass law has got to be repealed.
^They have armed guards at the super special prep schools that the politicians send their kids to.
On another note, Frontsight was(maybe still is) offering to teach 3 staff members from any school in the US in a bunch of different concealed carry and other things for free in response to the Conn shooting. Israel used to have TONS of issues with school attacks, then they armed the teachers, and now the school attacks are practically non existent
Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #47

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Being pro gun and asking the old antigun question "Why does anyone need that"? Makes me wonder?

With all due respect, I think you may be missing my point. I personally don't care if you, or anyone else, legally owns or operates a Barrett 50 cal. The question in my mind, at some point, becomes, where do you draw the line? Should a guy be able to purchase a 16 inch deck-gun from a battleship? How about a 20mm cannon, etc. That was my point. There has to be a boundary out there somewhere - we should not be afraid to be a part of where that boundary gets set. The NRA (of which I am a member) is very powerful but not more powerful than the US Government. IMHO, 2nd amendment supporters/protectors will be very disappointed if the NRA simply says "we got nothing" when it comes to this discussion - because there will be decisions made that we have to live by, and I for one would want the NRA to be involved with that.
Thing is why should I not be allowed to own a 16" deck gun? I mean, show me where these are eing used for bad tihngs by bad people in the streets. Being the 2A nd what it is meant to protect anything the government has really should be allowed to it's people.

A simple truth though is a 16" deck gun or 20mm cannon would be pretty cost prohibitive. I honestly don't think you would see a huge market for them.

How about this, we punish people that do bad things with guns no matter the size or type and stop spanking the Americans that have done nothing to deserve such punishment? Or are you saying that the American people can not be trusted therefore we need saved from ourselves. If that is the case then all guns should be gone. As well as anything else that a person could use as a weapon. Because we can not be trusted.

It's simply insane to allow the people that you just might have to defend yourself from to be the ones allowed to dictate how you are allowed to defend yourself. But that is exactly what has been allowed to happen. And now we should let them tighten this control?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #48

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

People who want gun control laws on this forum have an agenda. The agenda they are pushing is not helpful in the battle for gun rights. It is clear that if you owned a deck gun it should be confiscated. This is the same thing we are hearing from the Obamaites. No one needs a? No deer hunter needs a? NRA members want gun control?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1985 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
People who want gun control laws on this forum have an agenda. The agenda they are pushing is not helpful in the battle for gun rights. It is clear that if you owned a deck gun it should be confiscated. This is the same thing we are hearing from the Obamaites. No one needs a? No deer hunter needs a? NRA members want gun control?
it might be clear to YOU that private deck gun ownership is a bad idea. to some others, it is not. heck, the whole reason we have laws is because not everyone shares same values or possesses a modicum of common sense.

look, I am not a professional writer so clearly I am not making my point well enough (for some anyway). the anti gun crowd, led by their President, is going to spend their time deciding what guns we can and cannot have. Simple question here folks: do you or do you not want the NRA to be involved in these discussions, or do you want laws to go on the books without any NRA representation in the conversation?

if this means I have an "agenda", so be it - my agenda is called "stick to your guns but be involved in the process"
Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 325 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 63

The NRA is going to have a say regardless of if they are on some panel or not. The Biden led panel does not get to make law. They might be able to introduce a bill to either the House or Senate. It is at that point the NRA can flex its lobbying muscle and get our red state senators and reps in line to oppose whatever is put on the table. The NRA doesn't need a seat on some phony panel that already has a direction in mind before it een meets.

Our politicians need to worry about getting this countries financial house in order before they concern themselves with gun legislation. Gun sales being at record highs is about the only thing stimulating this economy right now. Think about the money being pumped in to the economy with sales and then the need to manufacture more to meet the demand. Those are all paying jobs largely for an American workforce.