Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > NRA Press conference

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 297 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

To your original point, I am a teacher and my wife is a guidance counselor at two different schools. We were just discussing this evening about allowing teachers to carry in schools. I stated that I would be in favor of it but much with some of the standards that you listed. I would want to see it as voluntary with district provided training in practical shooting applications. The other thing that would be needed is some sort of annual stipend and an equipment allowance. Complete confidentiality would be required so that only select administration members be the only people to know who is carrying in the school.

My wife is in favor of this idea as well. She would not want to carry a gun as she i not interested in firearms and is not real comfortable handling them. She goes shooting occasionally but is not avid about it.

My school has an armed police officer on the grounds but her school is a rural school and I would imagine that the response time would be in the 10+ minute range. It was before my time but the way I've been told is that for several years the local police force offered to station an officer at the school but the school board didn't want to allow the officer to carry a gun. The police force flatly denied disarming one of its officers. The school board finally relented and there has been an armed officer ever since.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #12

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Larry Pratt from the GOA is a much better representative for the cause than LaPierre has ever been.

The GOA gets my $, the NRA does not (I know this isn't a popular position).

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

fmj Likes This 
Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

My business partner is as much a lib as I'm a conservative. He was going off on LaPierre's idiotic remarks, yadda... yadda... yadda. Posted the transcript amongst he and his friends to and asked them to point out the idiotic comments. Funny, no one came up with any. Typically, the guy will jump at the chance to tear up an argument. I find it quite interesting that he just can't find anything to jump on.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #14
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
My business partner is as much a lib as I'm a conservative. He was going off on LaPierre's idiotic remarks, yadda... yadda... yadda. Posted the transcript amongst he and his friends to and asked them to point out the idiotic comments. Funny, no one came up with any. Typically, the guy will jump at the chance to tear up an argument. I find it quite interesting that he just can't find anything to jump on.
Amazing!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 12-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #15

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Dianna the Phlisteen has put out the white lies. She is saying that there were two armed guards at Columbine. The rest of the story was they hid in a Bus Barn and never entered the school. The armed officers remained out side until the killing was over. You have to wonder what all the SWAT gear and Special Weapons are for? Maybe photo Ops for the Mayor and Chief of police. The only person to go to prison was a gun dealer.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19474 Times on 11063 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Dianna the Phlisteen has put out the white lies. She is saying that there were two armed guards at Columbine. The rest of the story was they hid in a Bus Barn and never entered the school. The armed officers remained out side until the killing was over. You have to wonder what all the SWAT gear and Special Weapons are for? Maybe photo Ops for the Mayor and Chief of police. The only person to go to prison was a gun dealer.
but of course she only tells the parts that makes her point for her. not the whole truth. since when have many politicians ever told the whole story with just the facts?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #17

Liked 3679 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Before and up until columbine, police were trained to contain a threat. Surround the school, wait for swat and or hostage rescue.
That's why those kids had over an hour to kill with weapons under an assault weapons ban.

They don't WANT guards folks. Their kids, however, go to private schools with.., armed security.

I'm telling you. They WANT more shootings. They're more concerned with disarming Americans.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

People Like This 
Old 12-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1120 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Before and up until columbine, police were trained to contain a threat. Surround the school, wait for swat and or hostage rescue.
That's why those kids had over an hour to kill with weapons under an assault weapons ban.

They don't WANT guards folks. Their kids, however, go to private schools with.., armed security.

I'm telling you. They WANT more shootings. They're more concerned with disarming Americans.
The same goes for those "royalty-wannabee" crooks in DC. They have armed guards everywhere they go, but don't believe the rest of us are worthy of any protection, not even a gun to use to protect ourselves and our kids.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 12-23-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #19
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post

Truth!!!!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1136 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Interesting that Obummer and a lot of the talking heads that are decrying the notion of armed guards in school send their children to the Sidwell School, which has no less then 11 armed guards at all time. Ibummer stated on Letterman in Sept. I believe that he was not worried about his daughters because they were protected by men with guns.

One of the thoughts I had was how do we compensate the armed volunteers? I think an equipment allowance would bring up a huge liberal hue and cry. Perhaps a tax writeoff on a handgun, and allow your practice ammo and range time as a tax exemption. It would not make it free, but it would reduce the cost by whatever your tax rate comes out.