Muskegon Heights man carries rifle to walk daughter to bus
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Muskegon Heights man carries rifle to walk daughter to bus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1954 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 4099

Default Muskegon Heights man carries rifle to walk daughter to bus

Muskegon Heights man carries rifle to walk daughter to/from bus stop.

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/lakeshore/2014/05/23/dad-responds-to-gun-violence/9513855/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2014, 03:40 AM   #2

Liked 215 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I wouldn't, draws too much attention, causes too much ruckus. I'm glad it's legal, and the police aren't harassing him every day, but I probably would just go with a good CCW pistol or two.
Add - a 22lr rifle with scope, carried? Trade it for a handgun, Maynard.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1165 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 499

I found it particularly instructive that the woman who had a problem with it was a convicted felon. Now we know who has a real problem with open carry. That would be convicted felons who can no longer easily prey on people who are not criminals.

How can our felons safety commit more crimes with so many armed people ready to stop them? Shouldn't we be working on ways to allow them to continue to prey upon the good people of our society in relative safety by disarming all the people who don't commit felonies? Oh that's right, our President and his ilk are hard at work on that particular issue.

Although I would opt to carry a handgun because it's more convenient, as the police and prosecutors have stated, he hasn't broken any laws. Good for him.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 435 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
I wouldn't, draws too much attention, causes too much ruckus. I'm glad it's legal, and the police aren't harassing him every day, but I probably would just go with a good CCW pistol or two.
Add - a 22lr rifle with scope, carried? Trade it for a handgun, Maynard.
I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that he doesn't have much money. Handguns are expensive when you have to live paycheck to paycheck already.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6326 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 6815

My suggestion is to move out of Muskegon Heights immediately. If thats not possible it may be better to home school till he can. My recollection of just about every place called a "Heights" is its a government sponsored poverty district, most need to be leveled for the good of the surrounding districts. and folks trying to survive in them. I cant imagine living day in and out with a fear that might cause me to need to carry a piece much less a longarm to the bus-stop every day, thats gotta suck bad.

It may sound crazy to do this but he's not going into starphucks or Sh!tpolte, he's just trying to ensure his daughters safe passage to and from her mandatory attendance to a public education. Hell, most inner-city schools have armed guards at the door, some even have them on the busses, once your kid leaves the front door of your home, they are subject to all the dangers the schools are geared up to mitigate without the Guards, metal detectors and dogs.

Packing poor people into regional warehouses and telling them to play nice doesnt work. All you see every day is desperation and failure. The only way to rise above is either take more from others or leave it behind. It sounds to me like this guy is trying to do the right thing, make sure his daughter gets an education. I wont judge his sanity or the effect it has on others, I have my own reasons for staying in NY even after my own governor told me to leave and has successfully suspended some of my rights as an American (Temporarily to be sure, thats a fact, its not if its when).

Quote:
Muskegon County Prosecutor DJ Hilson says he is aware of the situation and although he doesn't advocate it, LaMay is not breaking any laws.
That Dinks on thin ice in my eyes, "LaMay is not breaking any laws" means he is following the law so if the DA "doesn't advocate it" means he's against following the law. That sounds ridiculous to me somehow, WTF, then the felon chimes in...!!!! The fact he had to prove he wasnt breaking it via confiscation, running his record and the weapon serial numbers is another in your face unconstitutional practice and procedure. I think his response was gracious and understated, I probably wouldnt have been so nice myself.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I've asked the question on a MI OC forum and have not received a good answer yet on the legality of carrying a rifle. My layman understanding of the law, one is allowed to OC a pistol on school grounds with a conceal pistol license. Maybe he doesn't set foot on the property, but then there's the whole 1,000' federal rule too.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

He is protecting his daughter from being abducted or raped, but it may be better for him to CC a pistol.
1. He is making himself a target and therefore his daughter a target for a sneak assassination by local felons.
2. He is subjecting his daughter to being rejected and scorned by her schoolmates as a result of being a spectacle.

A side thought: The way the convicted criminal lady raised hell about him carrying, shows why some grabbers are so loudly screaming to try to get everybody disarmed. Many of them are people who are forbidden by law from owning/carrying a gun. And they figure "If I can't have a gun, I don't want anybody having a gun".

Old 05-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #8

Liked 336 Times on 188 Posts

Look at this dude. You don't get why another parent might take exception to him standing there with a bolt action deer rifle around their kids? Buy a pistol already. If you can't then sling that rifle over your shoulder.

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1401115600.619672.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2047 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 2222

Looks to me like he's doing what he can and what he feels is necessary. He may not have a handgun. Or he may be using the rifle as an open deterrent. Either way (or any other reason) it's his choice.

The only problem I see is the cops confiscating his gun for a number of DAYS!!! Are you freaking kidding me? They can't run the serial number through their system right there from the squad car?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

People Like This 
Old 05-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #10

Liked 200 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
Muskegon Heights man carries rifle to walk daughter to/from bus stop.

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/lakeshore/2014/05/23/dad-responds-to-gun-violence/9513855/
Interesting story.

A shotgun with birdshot would clearly be a better idea.

Rifle bullets tend to go and go and go, same as the EverReady bunny.

In a neighborhood, that is never a good idea.