Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Man survives being shot 21 times

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

If the public were to see first hand the qualifications process for an NYPD cadet to receive a handgun they would immediately call for the disarming of the NYPD

Not only are the initial qualifications a joke, but follow up training for the average NYPD officer is pathetic at best

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
If the public were to see first hand the qualifications process for an NYPD cadet to receive a handgun they would immediately call for the disarming of the NYPD

Not only are the initial qualifications a joke, but follow up training for the average NYPD officer is pathetic at best
It's not just there behind the Iron Curtain of NY.

Many, MANY, agencies require officers to re-qualify ONLY once a year.

A student of ANY of the serious pistol shooters here could pass the requirements for a re-qualification.

We have "an officer friend" who has a large county area of patrol. He has been on the job for 4 years. He has had to qualify twice in the past two years.

He was a medic in the Army. He is NOT a bad shot. He has GOOD weapon discipline and he knows his service weapon like the back of his hand.

I wish I could say the same about everyone in uniform in the Seattle area that I have come across.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
HUh.

See. This doesn't surprise me, at all.

Being a cop is like a lot of jobs. It has positions of power and it has personal freedom. The whole "nightstick/gun/mace/taser" thing is just an added "tool" in the company kit.

Some cops have a military background. Some have a calling.

Some do it to get a leg up on the job market when it comes to political or "the law" arena.

Most cops DO NOT shoot as many rounds downrange and many of our members here.

Owning a gun, and LOVING your gun, are like the Montague's and the Capulet's.
So do those cops get punished for shooting standbyers and their own coworkers? Because a citizen protecting him/herself and not hitting their target would get sued in a heartbeat.

Another reason NOT to go to NYC. You might be shot by a police officer because they cant get the broad side of a barn.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #24

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShotty View Post
So do those cops get punished for shooting standbyers and their own coworkers? Because a citizen protecting him/herself and not hitting their target would get sued in a heartbeat.

Another reason NOT to go to NYC. You might be shot by a police officer because they cant get the broad side of a barn.
Here's an idea of what the NYPD has been up to in just the last few years

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/nypd-officer-caught-drug-scandal-takes-plea-dishes-corrupt-cops-article-1.388984

http://news.yahoo.com/nypd-officers-surrender-corruption-probe-131631986.html

http://www.inquisitr.com/154797/15-nypd-officers-arrested/

http://www.theagitator.com/2011/10/29/nypd-cops-demand-the-right-to-be-corrupt/

http://www.nyclu.org/news/nyclu-huge-increase-police-misconduct-cases-not-prosecuted-nypd-means-city-must-take-prosecutio

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #25

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Last week Romneys Secret Service agent left his gun in a rest room. A cleaning crew found the gun later on. The Agent was busy guarding Mitt with an empty holster. This shows a wreckless disregard for carrying a firearm on duty.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #26

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282
WTF? Did the NYPD learn to shoot at the Stevie Wonder school of firearms?
Leo are uneducated on firearms or bullet placement hell i bet u they cant even telk ya what caliber there pistol is. In a terrorist situation there told aim center mass, if a hosige gets shot and die they cant sue u if not theyre a survivor. One leo said his Beretta m9 shot 40 s&w..what thr hell

Old 09-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #27

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I know nothing about the police in NYC, other than what see/read in media reports. In NC many LEO are avid hunters. They spend their own money to go to the range. I have fired a fully automatic weapon once in a civilian setting. It was owned by a NC state trooper. I can't see how NYC LEO are any different. One thing that really hurts there accuracy is the police model glock. The police model Glock has difficult trigger. I would estimate the Police model has a 12 LB trigger pull. I would feel safer carrying a JA-9.

It would be to simple to arm police officers with a DA/SA pistol. That way the weapon has a difficult trigger in DA mode to prevent accidental discharges. Yet the officer can pull the hammer back and the gun has a nice, sweet 3Lb trigger pull.

Last edited by Old_Crow; 09-09-2012 at 10:50 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #28
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Many, MANY, agencies require officers to re-qualify ONLY once a year.

A student of ANY of the serious pistol shooters here could pass the requirements for a re-qualification.
The officers in my town need to re-qualify twice a year. I have been invited to go with them twice and both times I couldn't make it. I am dying to go with them and see if I can shoot as good as they can. I don't think I can but it would be fun trying.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7788 Times on 4498 Posts
Likes Given: 10036

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
The officers in my town need to re-qualify twice a year. I have been invited to go with them twice and both times I couldn't make it. I am dying to go with them and see if I can shoot as good as they can. I don't think I can but it would be fun trying.
Don't underestimate yourself. If they are required to qualify twice a year then many of them only fire their weapons that often. When I was campaigning to replace our local Sheriff both of the candidates said that most of the Deputies and the Sheriff herself practiced very infrequently, if at all and the qualifications were a joke.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Crow, like you, I am a Southerner- and grew up around Southern LEOs. Trust me on this one- there is a HUGE difference between the LEOs in NC and NYC. FREAKING HUGE!

Daughter and I were talking tonight. My son-in-law elect is a Deputy here in VA. I asked- How old was Greg when he learned to shoot? 10. How old when he started deer hunting? 12. How many NON- work guns does he have? About 10. How often does he go shooting when not working? You should know- he goes with you about once a month, when he's not plinking at the raccoons at his house.

Let's try that with an average Big Apple's finest- How old when you learned to shoot? 22, in the Academy. Deer hunting? You mean like those country hicks? Non-work guns? You mean like a backup gun? Naw, don't have the permits for those. Shooting when not working? Only if someone is paying me overtime.

You an I probably grew up in similar cultures- where a gun was an ordinary fixture of life, or tool. NYC- meh, different culture. VERY different.

Winds- you may be surprised (dismayed) at the number of officers you will outshoot. The Anarchist-in-Training has cleaned the clocks of a few of the city boys.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This