Man shoots, kills neighbor in NW ABQ

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Man shoots, kills neighbor in NW ABQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1908 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 3902

Default Man shoots, kills neighbor in NW ABQ

No clue why Mitchell character was upset. This happened Tuesday night, heard emergency vehicles.

http://www.kasa.com/dpps/news/krqe_news/region_1/neighbor-shoots-neighbor-in-nw-albuquerque-dr_5796273

Man shoots, kills neighbor in NW ABQ

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - Albuquerque police have identified the man who was shot and killed by his neighbor Tuesday night.

Investigators say 23-year old Jonathan Mitchell was running through the Ventana Ranch neighborhood with a loaded weapon when he shot at his neighbor Donnie Pearson.

Pearson shot back, killing Mitchell.

Police say another neighbor, Jose Beltran who lives behind Mitchell, arrived home Tuesday night and found Mitchell in his driveway brandishing a gun.

Beltran drove away and called his family inside the house to warn them of the danger outside. When Beltran came back around, he told police that Mitchell took off yelling profanities.

By this time, detectives say that one of Beltran's family members called another neighbor, Pearson, to help out.

Pearson, along with his 15-year-old son, told police they found Mitchell running into what turned out to be the garage of Mitchell's home. They say Mitchell shot at them and that is when Pearson returned fire.

Investigators say that's when Mitchell took off running again, this time over his backyard fence into Beltran's yard where he died.

Police say Pearson does have a conceal carry permit for a handgun.

"I think that in this case, Mr. Pearson felt that he had no other choice than to defend the life of himself, his life and his sons life when Mr. Mitchell opened fire on their vehicle," Officer Tasia Martinez said.

At this point, investigators say it is unclear why Jonathan Mitchell was walking through the neighborhood with a gun. A search of his online criminal records showed no prior arrests.

Police have decided not to arrest Pearson, but say the case will be turned over to the District Attorney's Office for review.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

On drugs maybe?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Probably so.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Not sure, waiting game on the medical examiner. Reading the comments, one poster posts, "Do you know why this went down?"

This is near the close by the CNM (Community College), pulled up the street intersections.

Here is another post from another news agency in Albuquerque.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2971305.shtml?cat=500

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Albuquerque police say they aren't making an immediate arrest in the shooting death of a man early Tuesday morning.

Police identify the dead man as 23-year-old Jonathan Mitchell.

According to police, a neighbor shot Mitchell after Mitchell shot at the neighbor, 32-year-old Donnie Pearson.

Police say the shooting occurred after another resident returned home and saw a man with a gun between two vehicles in the resident's driveway.

The resident called family members inside his home while he drove around the block, and one of the people in the house alerted Pearson.

Pearson then drove by and the shooting occurred after Mitchell ran into his nearby home's open garage.

Mitchell then ran onto another neighbor's yard and collapsed and died there.

Prosecutors will review the case.

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 03-22-2013 at 03:00 AM.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #5

Liked 1841 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Wow. Is it just me? Or does it seem like this kind of crazy just keeps coming more and more. I dont remember stiff like this happening when I was a kid. I remember when the shooter went into the San Yisedro MC Donalds and started shooting back in the 1980s. But for the most part this kind of stuff didnt happen like it does today.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 AM   #6

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Wow. Is it just me? Or does it seem like this kind of crazy just keeps coming more and more. I dont remember stiff like this happening when I was a kid. I remember when the shooter went into the San Yisedro MC Donalds and started shooting back in the 1980s. But for the most part this kind of stuff didnt happen like it does today.
Youth + Mind Altering Perscriptions = Crazy Adults

Tack
Old 03-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The only history that has not happened is the history you don't know. This sort of thing has been going on for ever. The most violent school murders ever occurred in May of 1927 at Bath Twsp Ohio. This resulted in 38 children and teachers being killed.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Things happened but we didn't have multiple 24\7 news outlets and the Internet. Also the population is a lot higher so statistically you will have more crazy people running around. Add to that drug use, a bad economy where people can't afford meds, and lower moral standards in society at large and you get the crimes we are seeing. Also the latest high school class ever was in 2007. Putting a large population of males in the deadly nexus of the 18-25 year old range where most male criminals commit crimes. But that's just my opinion and observations

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

People Like This 
Old 03-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1982 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 592

If you put a few rats in a cage, they will get along fine. Start crowding the cage and they will turn vicious. Too many people crowded together in high density housing and you get the same effect.
At this point no one knows why the man went off. Something could have altered his mind or he could have just cracked from stress. Prescription drugs can reek havoc. I got T boned by a woman that ran a red light. Never even slowed down and was totally spaced out. I saw her air bag go off and she never even knew it. She was on Prescription meds.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
If you put a few rats in a cage, they will get along fine. Start crowding the cage and they will turn vicious. Too many people crowded together in high density housing and you get the same effect.
At this point no one knows why the man went off. Something could have altered his mind or he could have just cracked from stress. Prescription drugs can reek havoc. I got T boned by a woman that ran a red light. Never even slowed down and was totally spaced out. I saw her air bag go off and she never even knew it. She was on Prescription meds.
The area where the shooting took place, is the stucco houses and those houses are close together and very small back yards, unless you live at a corner lot. The older late 90's homes were built with brick and have bigger yards and separated from neighbor's homes.

I also agree on the meds and alcohol and even hard times can set people off the edge.