Man shoots dog saves boys life may face gun charges! - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media >

Man shoots dog saves boys life may face gun charges!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post

I know.

Maybe I should have worried what I said better but I stand by my post you cant equally endanger his life to save him. What if he accidentally shot him in the chest and killed him?

This is a good example of a good samaritan, with a legally purchased gun, with what I would assume to be not enough experience or training.

All i am saying is I dont think I would have been shooting. I have a bat or an extendable baton that I could probably drop a dog in a hit or two and not risk putting holes in anyone else.

But before everyone jumps down my throat I still think he did the right think and I hope that he doesnt go to jail, that would be crazy. But only in DC
We were not there and i dont know of any video so i will give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume he had a clear shot and knew what was behind and near his target. In a life threatening situation you use the tools you have available and this mans (and the officers) actions likely saved a life or at least severe injury.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #32
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8902 Times on 5324 Posts
Likes Given: 11901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
$170 Fine for having an unleashed menacing dog.

Seriously, you can get charged more for possessing an empty 30 round magazine than for letting your dogs attack people!
I believe three attacking, mauling dogs can bring more charges to the owner than an "unleashed, menacing dog".
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #33

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

proof positive right there folks ... gun control advocates don't give 2 shits about saving children!!!

no compromise ... no surrender

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

The scumbags who run DC and other major cities don't even consider the average citizen to be worthy of any defense. We are all supposed to just suffer whatever assaults are done to us and die if necessary. Then the thugs who protect the rich and powerful can show up, make a report, and haul the cadavers to the morgue

Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #35

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I believe three attacking, mauling dogs can bring more charges to the owner than an "unleashed, menacing dog".
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-boy-mauled-by-pit-bulls-has-surgery/2013/01/22/c4f52f1a-64e0-11e2-b84d-21c7b65985ee_story.html

Quote:
Police said they gave the dog owner a citation charging him with failing to leash his dogs — $25 fines for each — and with “menacing people,” which carries a $100 fine.
Maybe but so far, $175 is his punishment.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:04 AM   #36
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Once a lawyer gets hold of it there will be a lawsuit on behalf of the boy and the dogs owner will lose everything he has or ever hopes to have. It is a shame we have get justice through the back door. There is a severe shortage of common sense in today's world. The cop arresting someone who did the right thing because he may get into trouble also raises the question of will the police follow unlawful orders? They sure did in New Orleans.
People Like This 
Old 01-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Once a lawyer gets hold of it there will be a lawsuit on behalf of the boy and the dogs owner will lose everything he has or ever hopes to have. It is a shame we have get justice through the back door. There is a severe shortage of common sense in today's world. The cop arresting someone who did the right thing because he may get into trouble also raises the question of will the police follow unlawful orders? They sure did in New Orleans.
Sure they will. For a power trip and to save their jobs.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #38
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2651 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 14646

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishiggin29 View Post
So I guess that means if someone breaks in to your house and you shoot um you can be charged with firing a gun in city limits!
I can't speak for where you live or DC, but here in NY, you are required by law to retreat from a threat if possible. There is no stand your ground rule here, and no castle doctrine. Less of a problem where I live than it is in the sewer on the SE end of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter View Post
The law and doing the right thing are not always the same. It was probably against the law but it was the right thing to do in that situation. Protecting the innocent is more important than the law since its only interested in accountability not saving individuals. had the hero guy not acted first the Leo may not have been alerted to the situation. Could you live with yourself if you watched that kid be mutilated and did nothing. Without the gun you would not stand a chance against 3 of those dogs. The owner should do time.
QFT. The laws of god outweigh the laws of man. I have been in a similar situation myself. Granted, I was out in the country, not in a city, when I had to shoot a friend's husky off of his 4 year old son. He is now 15, and doing well. The scars have become far less noticeable on his face, but they will always be there. Where I could have been in trouble (aside from the possible miss that still haunts my nightmares) is that I discharged a firearm within 500 feet of an occupied building, without the permission of the owner (the next door neighbor's house was only 300 feet from where I shot). Luckily, the neighbor was more concerned with Matt's safety then with pressing any charges. If it comes down to watching a child die because you did nothing, or doing something, and needing to get a lawyer, how would you choose? Under the situation outlined in the OP's article, I would have done the same. The owner of those pit-bulls needs to brought up on charges. He should also be damn greatfull that he is not up on manslaughter charges for letting the dogs roam unchecked IMHO. YMMV

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Last edited by kfox75; 02-02-2013 at 05:35 AM.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think that almost any of us would've done what we could to save the boy, even if we'd be arrested for it. Surely no jury would ever find a person guilty under the circumstances. If it goes to trial, he should insist on a jury trial. The U.S. is full of judges who are nothing more than whores for a prosecutor.
People Like This