Man shoots dog saves boys life may face gun charges! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Man shoots dog saves boys life may face gun charges!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2741 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I know laws are different everywhere, but wouldn't the LEO be obligated to arrest someone who shot something it was against the law? Wouldn't it be the DA's responsibility to do the investigation and then to drop the charges? I wondering how much latitude a LEO on the scene has. I mean if a LEO comes upon homicide, or something, is a LEO really supposed to take someone's word that it was a SD situation and the shooter the good guy?
I know of NO law that obligates an LEO to make an arrest in a situation like this. Even in homicides, taking the "suspect" in for questioning/formal statement is normal. Actually booking that person depends on the circumstances.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishiggin29 View Post
Yeah that's Washington, D.C. For ya!
Location, location, location...

eldar

Old 01-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #23

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Ridiculous if you ask me , this man saved that 11 yr old and I would do the same no matter the circumstances of what city I lived it . If this thing holds up in court they should let a big group of vicious dogs in on all those people of the jury and see what they would like you to do , stand there and watch while your armed or help them out of their sticky situation

Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #24

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I know of NO law that obligates an LEO to make an arrest in a situation like this. Even in homicides, taking the "suspect" in for questioning/formal statement is normal. Actually booking that person depends on the circumstances.
Okay, I guess that's what I meant. I'm not familar with the difference between 'arrest', 'booking', 'held for questioning' etc. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #25

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
There were three dogs attacking this boy.
I know.

Maybe I should have worried what I said better but I stand by my post you cant equally endanger his life to save him. What if he accidentally shot him in the chest and killed him?

This is a good example of a good samaritan, with a legally purchased gun, with what I would assume to be not enough experience or training.

All i am saying is I dont think I would have been shooting. I have a bat or an extendable baton that I could probably drop a dog in a hit or two and not risk putting holes in anyone else.

But before everyone jumps down my throat I still think he did the right think and I hope that he doesnt go to jail, that would be crazy. But only in DC

Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #26

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

The law and doing the right thing are not always the same. It was probably against the law but it was the right thing to do in that situation. Protecting the innocent is more important than the law since its only interested in accountability not saving individuals. had the hero guy not acted first the Leo may not have been alerted to the situation. Could you live with yourself if you watched that kid be mutilated and did nothing. Without the gun you would not stand a chance against 3 of those dogs. The owner should do time.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

This is a good example of what can happen in a gun-free zone, which is what DC is. Some people in these forums advocate carrying in GFZ's, and base their decision on just this scenario. If you carry in a GFZ, and the SHTF so you end up using your gun to rescue someone who really needs to be rescued, LE will most likely arrest you for carrying in the GFZ. Even though it is morally reprehensible to punish you for a herioc action, you violated the law. Some LEO's are afraid they will get into trouble if they don't arrest you. Their right to make a decision based upon the whole picture has been denied them. And DC would be the most extreme example of that mentality.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Next time, maybe the good samaratin will use an axe instead.

Good job to the shooter.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8279 Times on 4784 Posts
Likes Given: 10708

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
This is a good example of what can happen in a gun-free zone, which is what DC is. Some people in these forums advocate carrying in GFZ's, and base their decision on just this scenario. If you carry in a GFZ, and the SHTF so you end up using your gun to rescue someone who really needs to be rescued, LE will most likely arrest you for carrying in the GFZ. Even though it is morally reprehensible to punish you for a herioc action, you violated the law. Some LEO's are afraid they will get into trouble if they don't arrest you. Their right to make a decision based upon the whole picture has been denied them. And DC would be the most extreme example of that mentality.
It is indeed a Catch-22, but better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #30

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I wonder where the charges are for the owner of the pitbulls for letting 3 extremely lethal weapons run loose. No different than turning a lion loose.
$170 Fine for having an unleashed menacing dog.

Seriously, you can get charged more for possessing an empty 30 round magazine than for letting your dogs attack people!

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

dog2000tj Likes This