Man shoots dog attacking a woman - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media >

Man shoots dog attacking a woman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Some people are open to change and some aren't. In this regard I don't know that dogs are all that different from people. I'd suspect some dogs are more susceptible to training, socialization, whatever, independent of breed, and some aren't. That's not to say breed doesn't matter, just that dogs within a breed are variable in how much their 'operating system' can be affected by their environment. Nature vs. nurture? It depends on the individual.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30USMC View Post
or give him a simple command
Oh dear. I would never own a dog that bites on command. Mercy sakes alive. That would be downright unneighborly. </sarcasm>

Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Some people are open to change and some aren't. In this regard I don't know that dogs are all that different from people. I'd suspect some dogs are more susceptible to training, socialization, whatever, independent of breed, and some aren't. That's not to say breed doesn't matter, just that dogs within a breed are variable in how much their 'operating system' can be affected by their environment. Nature vs. nurture? It depends on the individual.
A lot of the dogs chosen for specialized training are chosen based on their underlying structure and temperament, or what the AKC calls the breed standard. There is a way to generally predict the way a breed will act within reason, but you can also humanely train those qualities right out of a dog. Many of the dogs that come out of breed rescue organizations are examples of this.

As a general rule you can't train a dog to do what their breed can't adapt to, but you can train a dog to throw their breed standard behavior aside. You can humanely turn a German Shepard into a dog that wouldn't even protect it's own food, but because of their structure you'll never make an English Bull dog a reliable Search and Rescue dog.

The mistake made by so many people is choosing a dog based on the, "Awww. Isn't he cute?" factor while they are still a puppy. They never research the breed standard to see if this dog will be a good fit with their lifestyle. Factors like apartment living, fenced yard, children in the house, and working hours all need to be considered.

If you are single and living in an apartment you don't get a breed that gets bored easily. If you have an infant or toddler you don't get a breed large enough to do major damage when the kid hurts them or scares them. In fact, don't get a dog at all until your kid is socialized and housebroken. Once your kids become human make sure the dog's breed standard includes great with children.

As I said in an earlier post, this dog was probably trying to protect the young of it's pack, AKA, the children. From what I read in the first post the dog was not really being aggressive as much as it was being a No Trespassing sign with legs. What happened was not the OP's fault, or the dog's fault. Both were acting exactly they way you would expect them to. The owner of the dog leaves a lot to be desired. His/her presence during the confrontation would have gone a long way. So would a short explanation and an apology. Since the dog's owner is probably too stupid to train the best solution is a fenced yard to contain both the dog and the children.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #54

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i'll refrain from thinking some people do know the difference in dog breeds.

i know the difference, so maybe i am making the assumption that some people do know the difference as well.

i'll just remove myself from this discussion as anything else from me would be counter-productive and making assumptions.

please carry on without any further input from me.
Most people do know the difference but with the increase in mouth breathers and bums I just assume the worst.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #55

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
Axxe,

I have to agree with JD on this one. Here in NC if it looks anything like a pitt is has to be a pitt. That goes for my parents boxer as well as the English bull terrier (Spuds McKenzie) I had growing up. This sounds bizzare but I have been asked if my Bugg (Boston bull/pug) was a pitt puppy. The one breed of dog I don't trust is a chow. Every one I have seen was ill tempered.

My mother has a chow mix,has the black toungue and everything,and I know it's not full chow but he definantly looks like one. Anywho,he's and old man now but has always put on a show when someone comes knocking but if you jump at him,he runs lol. And if you drop something to loud,he flees to the back of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Most likely he was wanted for something or a felon in possesion or had no ccw... shoot the vile pitbull, save the victim from being consumed by a vile beast and leave before the da can prosecute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
If you discharge your weapon, you are legally obligated to stick around and explain why. In fact, what you "say" after a shooting, even a good shoot, can determine your liability.

The laws are different for each state but if I were to discharge my weapon in public and left the scene, I would be prosecuted and more than likely lose my CC permit.
Yup, scram before the police make your day even more interesting than having to blast a cujo-channeling canine on your way to get coffee, smart move (maybe not the legalest move, but the smart move, IMO).

Old 02-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #57
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1079 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Yup, scram before the police make your day even more interesting than having to blast a cujo-channeling canine on your way to get coffee, smart move (maybe not the legalest move, but the smart move, IMO).
Not knowing how the authorities are going to react I would have done the same.
Confident I had done the right thing, there is no need to look for trouble.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #58

Liked 1397 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
Not knowing how the authorities are going to react I would have done the same.
Confident I had done the right thing, there is no need to look for trouble.
Staying on the scene in this country would guarantee the shooter a world of hurt.

Isn't the OP's post a feel-good story about an armed good samaritan? Who cares what breed the dog was?

Last edited by Rocky7; 02-26-2014 at 09:19 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #59

Liked 2179 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
It's not like a dog out playing with children is going to attack you like Kujo. If the dog does anything more than bark it's going to nip you in a way that doesn't even draw blood. I have been around dogs of all sizes that will bite you. Dogs are part of our lives. You can't shoot every dog that barks at you unless you wear a badge.

Mailmen deal with all kinds of dogs. Mailmen seldom get bit and never use lethal force. Mailmen watch a 2 hour training video every year to get this outstanding training. You owe it to yourself and a little kid to learn how to deal with dogs in a peaceful manner.

One thing is for certain you will not win a gunfight with a mad dog owner. You will be outgunned and surprised. The dog owner doesn't care if the shot is legal. You just killed a member of the family.
The dog crossed the street to come after us. We were backing up. It continued toward us with its fur standing up and growling. It was not barking. It was growling. I am not a mail man, and I have every right to defend myself and my wife. Only a fool would think I was in the wrong.

And I am a dog lover by the way.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #60

Liked 2179 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

Also, if a dog is running lose in the street and attacks someone, it is the owner's responsibility. It doesn't matter why the dog is lose. It is still the owner's responsibility.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Rocky7 Likes This