Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Guns in the movies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Guns in the movies

Just saw "The Heat". It's amazing how casually they wave guns around. Waving guns at waitresses, nurses, etc is simply not funny and sets too casual an example for the general public. Grown ups 2 shows a trailer where their friend, who is a cop, pulls a gun on them in a public area to make them dance around.
Hollywood just went through denial about promoting violence and how that relates to mass shootings. Showing people who threaten anyone and everyone with guns, comedy or not, is simply not wise.
At the end of The Three Stooges, there were several minutes of disclaimers regarding poking eyes, rubber hammers, etc (don't do this at home). Doesn't seem to be any concern about the misuse of guns though.

Last edited by flybuddy; 07-02-2013 at 12:34 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1129 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Hollywood is one of our greatest enemies. Run by liberals, they extort every gun fallacy and perpetrate it on the American public with impunity. If a major production house was ever successfully sued for their irresponsible actions, we may see a more responsible portrayal. Until then, email or call every producer, director and production company you see endangering the public with their asinine portrayal and tell them that you will be doing a media-wide campaign against them (posting to Facebook, Twitter and here qualifies) and that you expect them to be more responsible. If they can stop portraying cigarette smoking, they can also be more responsible about gun portrayal.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #3

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

When Elmer Fudd shoots Bugs Bunny in the face with his side by side shotgun, all that happens is that Buggs gets a dirty face.
ct

Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1088 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 71

These guys don't care a whit about gun safety. After all this is; "just entertainment!" Yet they want us, who operate safely, to give up our guns and just watch their entertainment. I don't think so. They should have to show they are operating under NRA style safety....... as if that would happen!

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 07-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
Just saw "The Heat". It's amazing how casually they wave guns around. Waving guns at waitresses, nurses, etc is simply not funny and sets too casual an example for the general public. Grown ups 2 shows a trailer where their friend, who is a cop, pulls a gun on them in a public area to make them dance around.
Hollywood just went through denial about promoting violence and how that relates to mass shootings. Showing people who threaten anyone and everyone with guns, comedy or not, is simply not wise.
At the end of The Three Stooges, there were several minutes of disclaimers regarding poking eyes, rubber hammers, etc (don't do this at home). Doesn't seem to be any concern about the misuse of guns though.
My biggest pet peeve about the entertainment industry's portrayal of firearms and usage, is how lightly the act of shooting someone is represented. Famous actor "X" can shoot a bunch of bad guys, and 2 minutes later he's laughing and joking about it. Its no wonder we see the shooting incidents we've seen by young people who've been brainwashed by these shows, that death is ok.
Why doesnt this entertainment accurately represent the nightmares, psychological problems, sleepless nights, the endless evaluations, fitness board reviews, and so on, an officer actually goes through after a duty related shooting.
Like many others here, I did my duty in Nam, and had a number of years in law enforcement afterwards. one shooting incident as LEO, and i prefer not to try to do a count on Nam related deaths. As much as I realize that war time sometimes requires things of us we'd rather not engage in, I regret every one of the lives I've taken, even though any one of them could have stopped mine in a heartbeat.
And while i respect everyones right regarding the first amendment, its about time the entertainment industry stops hiding behind the 1st portraying anything violent no matter how inaccurate, or distasteful, simply for the sake of an almighty dollar.
Its about time they take responsibility for they're actions.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #6

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

I was a kid in the 50's and early 60's and watched lots of tv Westerns where everybody wore a handgun on their hip and guys were always getting shot and no blood ever (or rarely maybe a trickle) was seen and guys were always getting shot in the arm or in the hand and instead of the arm getting blown off, it was just a minor injury. Anyway, seeing all of this never made me or anyone I knew not have respect for firearms, nor did any of us become blood thirsty criminals. Now, at least in movies, shootings are very graphic and gross. I'm not so sure that either of these scenarios have much to do with how our culture uses and/or looks at firearms. Primates tend to be on the violent side by nature. Artificial influences will have little to do with it.
ct

Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #7

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Default detachment from reality

you want to know what i hate about guns in the movies?

the rating system. apparently you get a PG13 rating if you show someone shot and killed and falling over like they went for a quiet nap. if you show gore, coughing blood, crapping yourself and thrashing around, you get an R rating. basically, you get R for showing REALITY. we just had a group of posters who were SHOCKED at the brutality of A DOG getting shot. i have think this is because after seeing FANTASY killing so much, people start to believe that is what killing really looks like. sad...but true i think.

and another thing in unrealisim....how often do you see someone getting hit in butt or arm with a gun and then shaking it off in a movie? i have only seen 1 video of someone shot in the butt, and that large man DROPPED like a sack of potatoes and was done. i personally knew a kid that got shot in the hand WITH A 22, and was still did not have the full use of his hand A YEAR LATER.

hollywood has too many people believing fantasy when it comes to guns, imo that is dangerous.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #8

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

In the 1950s movie producers had to follow a strict code. The use of firearms in the Westerns etc. was strictly controlled. Blood and bullet holes were not allowed. In such scripts as the Lone Ranger the Ranger never ever killed a BG always shot the gun from their hands.
There were such rules as no semi-auto pistols and no shoulder holsters. These items related to real criminals. It was a different world.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 902 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
you want to know what i hate about guns in the movies?

the rating system. apparently you get a PG13 rating if you show someone shot and killed and falling over like they went for a quiet nap. if you show gore, coughing blood, crapping yourself and thrashing around, you get an R rating. basically, you get R for showing REALITY. we just had a group of posters who were SHOCKED at the brutality of A DOG getting shot. i have think this is because after seeing FANTASY killing so much, people start to believe that is what killing really looks like. sad...but true i think.

and another thing in unrealisim....how often do you see someone getting hit in butt or arm with a gun and then shaking it off in a movie? i have only seen 1 video of someone shot in the butt, and that large man DROPPED like a sack of potatoes and was done. i personally knew a kid that got shot in the hand WITH A 22, and was still did not have the full use of his hand A YEAR LATER.

hollywood has too many people believing fantasy when it comes to guns, imo that is dangerous.
Yep. Remember the old line, "It's only a flesh wound"? As if a "flesh wound" can't cause the guy to bleed to death. Or if they were shot in the leg, it apparently didn't cause them any pain? It was just a minor inconvenience, and they'd hobble around for a day, then be OK.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7344 Times on 4258 Posts
Likes Given: 9463

I remember when I first fired a rifle. I was seriously disappoints that there was not a big explosion from the target area, and this was a long time before the current crop of special effects in the movies! The influence of the movies has long affected our perception of reality, not just regarding firearms, but in many other ways too. I was reading earlier about the new Lone Ranger movie and how Tonto, played by Johnny Depp, was not an accurate depiction of a native American (not sure what tribe Tonto was supposed to be). One Native American commented that she was happy that a white guy played the part because among her people the Tonto character is a disgrace to the races, and Depp plays the part with more respect to the Tribes than has been done before (according to the article in the Smithsonian).

I haven't been to the movies in years though, so what do I know?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.