Guns and Military Suicides - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Guns and Military Suicides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2236 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 3460

Quote:
Are we that arrogant and short sided of a society to just think there is an endless stream of these brave kids just waiting to protect us only to be sh1t on afterwards
This kind of stuff happens because only 1-2 percent of Americans ever put on a military uniform. When was the last time you heard of a son or daughter of a rich and famous Wall St. fat cat serving in the US military?

The predominent attitude is they are volunteers, let them deal with whatever comes their way. Meanwhile, back in the land of the big PX; the keyboard "patriots" and over weight chickenhawks who dodged the Vietnam war draft are shilling for war with Iran. i see folks whining on boards because veterans get some educational benefits.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #52

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I see it too and it pisses me off.

I didn't serve, but I spent some time overseas with the troops and I bought a lot of rounds of drinks.

I was never treated poorly by members of the military, I was always treated as one of the guys, I was invited to sit at their table during chow and even invited to join a game of good old volleyball.

In short I was never disrespected or looked down upon for being a civilian in "their world".

How can I, or anyone else, think they are some form of inconvenience now that they are back in "ours"?

The whole treatment of our troops pisses me off on a multitude of fronts.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Yeah, like Romney and his 5 sons? Or Obama?
The last one who was really famous was JFK, I guess...

Old 10-11-2012, 03:38 AM   #54
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, when a soldier has endured combat and survived, he desrves so much more than respect, he deserves to be honored and has earned that respect. and how about those who didn't survive. as a nation, we sometimes mourn the passing of a celebrity, but we hardly hear about the soldiers who have died in combat. i think they deserve to be honored for that ultimate sacrifice they have paid. those who serve with honor and distinction, should be treated with honor and distinction.

and when they return to civilian life, whatever needs to be done to accomadate them in that transition, we need to make sure they get it. be it counseling, training for a new career, educational help to further themselves, ect., ect.,,,, they by God have earned it.

Last edited by Axxe55; 10-11-2012 at 03:42 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

"Support for the troops" is mostly a myth: Despite the rhetoric, few Americans really care about the troops. Americans do support the wars.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #56

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr
"Support for the troops" is mostly a myth: Despite the rhetoric, few Americans really care about the troops. Americans do support the wars.
Where's the ban hammer when you need it.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #57

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
I wouldn't be so broad with that claim, It is the Politicians that support the wars, not the people ...

I had no problem with going into Afghanistan ... have a huge problem with still being there 11yrs later!

I had a huge problem with going into Iraq ... I have an even bigger problem with still being there!

As far as Iran is concerned ... or any other 3rd world desert ****hole ... our Gov't would be wise to pay credence to the people on these, lest they find themselves in the same situation here at home

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I wouldn't be so broad with that claim, It is the Politicians that support the wars, not the people
Sorry, i have to respectfully disagree. After 911 the troops had overwhelming support from the US populace. As the wars dragged on that support waned. If Americans had really cared about the troops they would have demanded Bush fire this sonofabitch when he made his comment that veterans benefits are "hurtful: to national security:

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2005/01/27/veterans-benefits/

Quote:
“In an interview with the Wall Street Journal (1-25-05), Pentagon official David Chu, in a mockery of the contribution of veterans, defended a new round of cuts by ironically describing funding for programs like veterans’ education and job training, health care, pensions, VA housing and the like as “hurtful” to national security.”

.................................................. .................................................. ..

In fact the Republicans are so desperate to cut veterans’ benefits they have started attacking fellow Republicans who want to preserve current benefit levels. The Wall Street Journal reports that “the House Republican leadership took the unusual step of stripping New Jersey Rep. Christopher Smith of his chairmanship of the Veterans Affairs Committee” for pushing “so aggressively for veterans benefits that he at times threatened to oppose their spending plans -and President Bush’s- unless more retiree benefits were included.”
If Americans really cared about the troops they would have raised hell when the Rumsfeld pentagon low balled disability ratings for troops severely wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan. Medical evaluation boards deliberately held disability ratings under the 30 percent needed for military disability retirement. During the Vioet nam war troops fot 50-60 percent disability ratings for loss of a leg below the knee. That dropped to 20 percent under Bush and Rumsfeld.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #59

Liked 4436 Times on 2196 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
I don't support the wars. I don't support "WAR" sorry, I support "one sided, unfair victory",
options include...

repeated carpet bombings, from high altitude.
Thermonuclear winter.
Unleashing rabid wild animals.

None of those options really involve troops on the ground.

Now I do support troops, I even put together care packages and send them to soldiers whom I've never met.

Not trying to brag on what I do... I just want to let you know that there are Americans who do not fit your impressions....
Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #60

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

When I retired from the military I did not take a physical nor did I have any type of mental evaluation, and I experienced some problems adjusting to civilian life.
Bottom line is the VA can not help a veteran if the VA has not been made aware of their problem(s). I just happen to have a VA appointment today.