Guns and Military Suicides - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media >

Guns and Military Suicides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

The topic of suicide in the military is one that is very close to me personally and professionally. More service men and women have died of suicide this year than combat fatalities. Of those who committed suicide, only half had deployed to combat zones. PTSD and other emotional/spiritual injuries certainly play a part in many suicides, but it is not the only factor. The OPTEMPO across the board is extremely high and not just in CENTCOM. Our military is constantly being told to do more with less. The pressures this puts on a service member is certainly a contributing factor. Changes in society as a whole is a contributing factor. But so is downsizing in the military. I've counseled a good number of Sailors who have been told that their service is no longer needed and they're not sure what they'll do in the civilian world. There can be a stigma attached to one who seeks mental health help from some commands, but all of the commands I've been a part of and most that I've worked with have minimized the stigma and are very supportive of getting their people the help they need. The problem I consistently see is medical's mental health being far too short staffed for the need. Unless someone claims that their suicidal, its usually a matter of weeks before they can be seen.

The idea to confiscate personal firearms is idiocy. Society needs to step up by instilling the value of personal responsibility in a deeper manner. Funding needs to be increased for medical. And either our military needs to be physically expanded to meet the challenges the government is ordering it to take on or we need to lighten the operational tempo.

We can't do more with less; something will eventually give. Tragically one place that gives is in the individual lives of our service members.
People Like This 
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #42

Liked 147 Times on 99 Posts

So let's take away guns. And knives, over the counter drugs, any rope/sheets etc.etc..you get the point

Old 10-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #43

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 539 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 273

To combat this we should also make high places and tall buildings illegal.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Maybe if there would be decent, worthwhile jobs to come back to it would help. For someone to spend several years doing multiple deployments, then come back to an unemployment check and treatment by others as 3rd class citizens is insulting, degrading, and demoralizing.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 10-10-2012 at 01:17 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #45

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I hope your memories, and your heart, are eased soon Gopher.

We ALL appreciate your service and that you made it back to us.

JD
I'm goodish now. I'm pretty sure that the memories will always be with me and I'm okay with that now. Korea was a good chance for me to detox a lot of the crap out of my mind and soul thanks to a great church there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Okay... I'll just rewrite this little story headline...

hold on....

still working on it...

Military Suicide Rates UP Under Obama Administration!!!!

Now that's how you write a headline.
Okay, as tragic as the suicide epidemic is, that's hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
and they wonder why vets tend to have a booze problem..
Mmmmh, delicious beer.
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory
People Like This 
Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #46

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
Perhaps a morbid truth. Is that why so many of our veterans are committing suicide in Afghanistan on a daily basis vis--vis early retirement?
Oy! When I say something like this, I get hooted into the Satan

Club...
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #47
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8249 Times on 4249 Posts
Likes Given: 9495

Thank you both so much for your service, most of us can never truly understand or comprehend the feelings you live every day. Im thinking the quality of the Service Member has really never been higher, its just the demands for their services are just way over the top.

Think about it a second, we in the civ world have OSHA, Attorney Generals, endless restrictions, regulations and other guidelines that protect us from nearly anything that could pose an issue, Service Members have nothing but their buddy, skill and luck.

Its like playing escape from NY every day until they get orders homeward bound. Then back again before they get a chance to see another birthday for themselves or their kids. Talk about Stress, I cant imagine....
People Like This 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

At least today's service people are being spared the disgusting WWII frivolous movies and TV shows with a bunch of fairy dancers dressed like sailors and soldiers, dancing and singing "The Boogie Woogie Bugler of Company B", or "Over There" on a stage that is dressed up to look like a battleship. And so far, Jane Fonda hasn't gone over to fraternize with the rag-heads. Trying to make it look like wars is fun.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #49

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3489 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I think about this topic a lot, being who we raise money and volunteer for, and one of the things that I think is missing is the value placed on a military member by the public.

Vietnam opened a flood gate that said these guys aren't heros and it's okay to **** on them! F*cking Fonda and her bunch!

If everyone stopped to thank a vet, buy him a drink or a meal, make him/her fell appreciated for the huge sacrifices they went thru, I do believe that would help some of these feelings. Not the PTSD as much as the feelings of guilt and depression.

When the first troops were coming home they held airplanes for guys to make flights, they announced them on intercoms, people stopped and cheered as the got off buses and walked thru airports. Military members were treated like rock stars be ause they were.

12 years later and the typical American apathy has set in because oh there's another traveling soldier or Marine or sailor. Well isn't that one special too? Doesn't s/he deserve your thanks and a free meal or a beer?

Are we that arrogant and short sided of a society to just think there is an endless stream of these brave kids just waiting to protect us only to be sh1t on afterwards?

Sorry. [/rant]
People Like This 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Some (many) people are so self-centered that they openly resent it when they cross paths with somebody who really deserves respect and honor. They think that only little number one is worthy of any respect.
Ask any Nam vet who came back to the doped up "flower children" burning the American Flag, spitting on us, and treating us like some kind of evil scum. The last time the military were regarded as heros was the end of WWII. That crap, coupled with a non-existent job market can drive even a strong man to suicide.
People Like This