Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Gun store employee 'accidentally' shoots customer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1797 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

FINGER OFFFFFFF TRIGGER!
POINT WEAPON IN A SAFE DIRECTION!
The clerk is totally liable and negligent regarding the act!

Another serious case of CRANIAL RECTITIS!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 11-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 1717 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

I'm getting a big kick out of the comments in this thread. Why? Well, let's look at another deadly weapon. Do you know that the great majority of car crashes are caused by both the least experienced and the most experienced drivers? The least experienced you can understand, but the most experienced? It's called complacency. "Well heck. I've done this a thousand times and I've never had an accident." Statistically, you will.

The same goes for firearms. Quit beating your chest and grunting about how safe you are and realize it can happen to you. What's more, the more you handle firearms, the more likely that it will happen to you. Before you handle any firearm put everything else out of your mind and concentrate on what you are doing. My successors don't need you to provide job security. Read my sig... carefully.

People Like This 
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #13

Liked 1754 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

Maybe the customer isn't always right. Maybe the customer pissed him off and he shot the sob.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #14

Liked 500 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
This goes back to training, training, training...

The clerk should have known better than to point any firearm at a customer.
IF the customer was seeking advice on a loaded weapon, then the customer was not trained.

The first thing I ask when a customer has me do a transfer is "Are you familiar with this firearm? Do you know how to load and unload?"
I had an employee of a gun store hand me a firearm I was not familiar with... and didn't clear it before "attempting" to hand it to me. I asked she had cleared it, DOH!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #15
No Longer a NY Resident.

Liked 1031 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5294

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno13 View Post
I have never handed a pistol to anyone where the slide was not locked back. I have never had an accidental discharge either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
Very true. That's the one thing at each store I've been at is they lock the slide back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
I had an employee of a gun store hand me a firearm I was not familiar with... and didn't clear it before "attempting" to hand it to me. I asked she had cleared it, DOH!
I went to one gun store where a clerk (the owner's wife) handed me a shotgun with the chamber closed. Out of habit, I opened the chamber to check it. By her reaction, you would have thought I spat in her face, and called her an effing B!tch!. I got yelled at for clearing a weapon! Needless to say, I still go to that shop, but only for parts I can't get elsrwhere, and to drink the coffee while visiting with some of my friends who still go there. There are 2 other shops in the area where I never have to self clear a gun that is not carried in by me. I buy from them. The incident in the OP is why only shop at shops where the safety rules are followed.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

LarryinCo Likes This 
Old 11-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #16

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

There's any number of reasons why a gun might be loaded, and why it might have to be unloaded. There are ZERO reasons why it should be pointed at someone.

As far as gun etiquette is concerned, I've been taught that it's good manners to check a gun when you hand it to someone AND when you receive one. It should be checked by everyone who handles it. I like going to the gun shops where they give you a strange look if you DON'T double-check it when they hand it to you.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

People Like This 
Old 11-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #17

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

One simple rule was broken. Keep your booger hook off the trigger. Every gun shop I go to, besides perhaps Cabelas, the employees are carrying open. I am carrying concealed, and I assume I'm not the only one. So it's safe to say there are plenty of loaded guns in a gun store. That fact doesn't concern me. What concerns me is why his finger ended up on the trigger. One could also ask why the muzzle ended up pointed at another person. A real pet peeve of mine while looking at gun at the gun store.

I've never had an issue with gun safety from the employees but there have been plenty of times I've had to say something to another customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Quit beating your chest and grunting about how safe you are and realize it can happen to you.
It's odd, I was thinking about this statement just the other day. I came to the conclusion that anyone that believes "it" can never happen to them, whatever "it" may be, is delusional and a borderline idiot at the very least.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #18

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I totally get that the rules of gun safety are sacrosanct for a reason.

BUT

At a gun store, the primary goal is selling a gun. After clearing a gun right in front of the customer, the store should lay it down with the action closed and no chamber flag. This is the only way for a newbie gun buyer to be able to check out the gun. An open slide means the customer has to admit they have no idea how to close the action and a chamber flag means there is no opportunity to dry fire.

The counter guy made several mistakes, but gun stores don't usually have ammunition in their wares.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
otisthecat Likes This 
Old 11-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #19

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

If this gun shop is any like the one close to where I live about 1/4 of the workers actually know about guns and know the facts. The other 75% act like they know what they are talking about but actually have no idea. They are the kind that are "always" right because "I" work in a gun store. I go in there to look at guns at that is it, I will do my purchasing somewhere else.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I'm getting a big kick out of the comments in this thread. Why? Well, let's look at another deadly weapon. Do you know that the great majority of car crashes are caused by both the least experienced and the most experienced drivers? The least experienced you can understand, but the most experienced? It's called complacency. "Well heck. I've done this a thousand times and I've never had an accident." Statistically, you will.

The same goes for firearms. Quit beating your chest and grunting about how safe you are and realize it can happen to you. What's more, the more you handle firearms, the more likely that it will happen to you. Before you handle any firearm put everything else out of your mind and concentrate on what you are doing. My successors don't need you to provide job security. Read my sig... carefully.
I took a long time to think about a possible response to the quoted post above. Hopefully, I can express my thoughts well enough to communicate*. My purpose is to communicate with you.
My first impression when reading the quoted post above was that it was critical of several of the previous posters in the thread, myself included. The use of the phrase ‘beating your chest and grunting’ was an obvious reference to the ape-like stereotype of man which so many feminists have tried to make the standard in our society. However, I understand that criticism is often the most truthful source of new ideas for improvement and so I continued to read searching for the poster’s suggestions for improvement.
I found some truths. (Statistics do say that a certain percentage of a normal population will experience accidents. The more any action is performed, the greater CHANCE there is for an accident. Complacency is a contributing factor to many accidents.) However, statistics apply to a POPULATION. Statistics cannot predict the outcome for an INDIVIDUAL in that population. (I can provide more information if you disagree with these two statements.)
I found some vague assertions which MAY have been opinion. (Cars are “deadly weapons”? How much is a “great majority”?) I’m certainly willing to accept those statements without argument anyway.
I also found what could be INTERPRETED as a condescending attitude. (“Read my sig… carefully.”) If I misinterpreted, please explain further (or ignore it, if you wish).
The only suggestion I found was “Before you handle any firearm, put everything else out of your mind and concentrate on what you are doing.” In My Humble Opinion, this is GOOD ADVICE. Perhaps what I failed to do in my first post was explicitly state that I have made this action a HABIT of mine when I handle firearms. My intention of following all of the firearm safety rules by habit as well as focusing my attention on the firearm in my possession while increasing my awareness of people and objects in my vicinity may very well be the SAME THING as Doc3402 is saying.
However, despite what some say, it IS POSSIBLE to eliminate ALL “DEFECTS” in a process for a small population. I am not foolish enough to say that I will achieve that goal over my entire lifetime. I CAN say that SO FAR I have achieved that goal with regard to negligent discharge of a firearm. (Ask me again the day before I die. If I have not had a negligent discharge at that time, it is unlikely that I will in my lifetime. There are certainly examples of many people who have achieved that goal.)
*MY definition of communication is the process whereby ideas in one brain can be transferred and completely understood in another brain. My intention for the original post was to encourage others to do whatever is necessary FOR THEM to prevent a negligent discharge of a firearm. I shared the process which has worked FOR ME SO FAR. (65 years, to date) Let me explicitly state that I feel no anger or malice toward anyone and I hope that you feel the same way. Differences in opinions are to be expected. There is an old adage … “If two people think exactly the same way about everything, then only one of them is doing any thinking.” I hope that I have communicated with several of you.

Regards, Larry
"Common sense is not so common." Voltaire
"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword; the other is by debt." John Adams