Gun store employee 'accidentally' shoots customer.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Gun store employee 'accidentally' shoots customer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Gun store employee 'accidentally' shoots customer.

We haven't got all the information yet (and I doubt that we will EVER know all of the facts), but there are SO MANY things wrong with this incident already.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/21/gun-store-employee-accidentally-shoots-customer-in-back/?test=latestnews

I have lived with guns from a VERY early age and I was immediately reprimanded any time that I 'made a mistake' handling a gun. It didn't feel good at the time to be embarassed, but now I thank my father, brother, cousins, uncles, etc. for that strict upbringing because I don't even have to think about gun safety. Every time I touch a gun, I check it immediately and make it safe if it is not already. The barrel is ALWAYS pointed in a safe direction even after I know the gun is unloaded.

Bottom line: Gun safety rules must become AUTOMATIC HABITS for anyone handling firearms.

Regards, Larry
"Common sense is not so common." Voltaire
"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword; the other is by debt." John Adams

TDS92A Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #2

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Why was the gun loaded in the store in the first place? And second why was his finger on the trigger while unloading the weapon? Sounds like he was a dumbass.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I view gun safety much the same way as knife safety. Knives are much easier to see the effects of unsafe handling without the almost definite possibility of loss of life.

You wouldn't put an open folder or unsheathed fixed blade in your pocket, so why leave a gun not properly secured when its "hot"?

Knives are sharp, so you generally keep your fingers away from the edge. Duh. So too, you pay attention to your muzzle awareness.

You don't cut towards yourself with a knife. Again, muzzle awareness.

Generally, dangerous objects deserve the utmost respect, because they're dangerous.

Guns just get a little more in depth, mostly because of their reach.

My heart goes out to the victim, AND to the gun store employee. I'm sure he's just as traumatized by the events. And I'm also curious why he was having to unload a handgun, in, I assume, the main "showroom".

I'd almost be willing to place money that another customer brought it in loaded, but that's pure speculation.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #4

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Like Ryhno said "Why was it loaded?". I've been in alot of stores that sell firearms and NONE of them are loaded!! So, why was this one loaded? If this store rents firearms they NEVER let you load them outside of the range either. Unless the old guy brought in his own or the guy behind the counter was showing his own!!

Old 11-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1887 Times on 1045 Posts
Likes Given: 5670

Conjecture runs rampant. I wish we know more about the situtation.

Perhap's this is one of those things we heard about on another thread: Buyer cocks gun, doesn't know what to do. Shop says bring it in"

Unless the gun was pointed in a safe direction and ricocheted, I think the shop employee bears the responsibility, the customer bears the injury.
Sad,
Guess we need to keep clear of the shop's that don't handle safely. If you see such a thing, let the owner know.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

This goes back to training, training, training...

The clerk should have known better than to point any firearm at a customer.
IF the customer was seeking advice on a loaded weapon, then the customer was not trained.

The first thing I ask when a customer has me do a transfer is "Are you familiar with this firearm? Do you know how to load and unload?"

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #7

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Well you cant fix stupid , just to bad he hadnt pointed it at him self .
if I owned a gun store I would have a marker that slides into the chamber of each gun to show they are unloaded. I always check them when I pick them up anyway but its just a easy thing to do and lots of reassurance for the customer , owner and associates that eliminates things like these

Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #8

Liked 4985 Times on 2414 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

Why a loaded gun was present is speculation. Most of my areas LGS's open carry so there are plenty of loaded guns present.

We could speculate all day long and we do not even know if there was a mechanical problem with the gun.

What we do know is that a man was negligently shot so at least 1 tenant of gun handling, "muzzle control", was broken.

I personally noticed a fair amount of poor handling by LGS employees after the 08 election and expect to see more now as retailers increase staff to deal with the current rush of business.

Liuck for me, I procured most of my collection durring the Bush years.

Tack

Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #9

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I have never handed a pistol to anyone where the slide was not locked back. I have never had an accidental discharge either.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #10

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno13
I have never handed a pistol to anyone where the slide was not locked back. I have never had an accidental discharge either.
Very true. That's the one thing at each store I've been at is they lock the slide back.