Good Ending...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Good Ending...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Default Good Ending...

Calif. woman, 72, shoots at intruder but misses

June 12, 2013 9:31 AM EDT
STANTON, Calif. (AP) — A 72-year-old Southern California woman who shot at — and narrowly missed — a man trying to break into her home said Tuesday she was shocked at the attention but doesn't regret defending herself and her husband, an 85-year-old World War II veteran who uses a wheelchair.

Jan Cooper, of Anaheim, fired one shot from her .357 Magnum Smith & Wesson revolver around 12:30 a.m. Sunday as a man attempted to break into her home. In a 911 call, Cooper begged with the dispatcher to send deputies and warned that she had a gun at the ready, as her Rottweiler barked in the background.

Minutes later, a breathless Cooper said the man had come to the back porch and was trying to get in the house through a sliding door. Through the vertical blinds, Cooper saw his silhouette just inches away through the glass as he began to slide open the door.

"I'm firing!" Cooper shouted to the dispatcher as a loud bang went off.

Cooper then cursed at the suspect, shouting at him to "back up."

"You'd better get the police here. I don't know whether I hit him or not. I'm not sure. He's standing at my door, my back door. He's in my yard," she said.

The suspect, Brandon Alexander Perez, 31, was not hit and was arrested a short while later by responding deputies, who heard the gunshot, said Jim Amormino, spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

Perez pleaded not guilty to a burglary charge. The Associated Press was unable to leave an after-hours message for his attorney.

His rap sheet includes other burglary and narcotics charges. He was on parole and staying at a halfway house not far from the Coopers' address, Amormino said.

Cooper's gun, which she has owned for about 20 years, was legally purchased and properly registered, he said.

"Even though that dog was barking, he still was desperate to get in. So who knows what may have happened if she didn't fire that round," Amormino said.

On Tuesday, Cooper was soft-spoken and composed, with her gray hair pulled back neatly in a hairband and her husband at her side during a news conference at a sheriff's substation.

Cooper said she is amazed by the anger in her voice — and the curse word she let fly — after she fired the shot.

"I am a Christian woman and I'm very proud of it and I don't curse, but after I shot, rage took hold and I just blasted away," she said. "And, in fact, afterwards my husband said, 'I've never heard you talk like that!'"

The stunned intruder apologized to Cooper after she fired, she recalled, telling her, "I'm sorry, ma'am. I'm leaving. Please don't shoot."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #2

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1247

To bad she missed.

"Im sorry maam Im leaving please dont shoot" should have let the rott at him for a bit first, I hate a thief

Old 06-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7315 Times on 4399 Posts
Likes Given: 8970

I am proud of this woman. And she owns a mighty fine revolver, too. I think it's funny her husband said, "I've never heard you talk like that." ROFL Too cute.

People Like This 
Old 06-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #4

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Seen Moms on Fox News yesterday,I wanted to shake her hand and give her a friendly kiss,I'm glad she missed him for her sake,even being in the right,killing some SB creep never leaves your mind,so all is good for her today thank GOD!!

To say she was pissed would be an understatement.,

Old 06-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankStone View Post
Seen Moms on Fox News yesterday,I wanted to shake her hand and give her a friendly kiss,I'm glad she missed him for her sake,even being in the right,killing some SB creep never leaves your mind,so all is good for her today thank GOD!!

To say she was pissed would be an understatement.,
Moral of the story: Don't mess with us old geezers!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

She cursed while shooting at him. I wonder if this is what she said to him....

Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
Moral of the story: Don't mess with us old geezers!
I may not have the muscle mass or the endurance of a younger person, but I have decades more practice time at the range.

So, the lady has a Rottweiler and a .357 S&W. That brings a smile to my face. You tell them granny. We may be older but we're far from helpless!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would be proud to call this lady my granny =)

Old 07-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 3323

Good on the lady.

Quote:
His rap sheet includes other burglary and narcotics charges. He was on parole and staying at a halfway house not far from the Coopers' address, Amormino said.
Yep, the scum loving political hacks build halfway houses in residential neighborhoods to "acclimate" the inmates and provide them with new victims.

Last edited by alsaqr; 07-19-2013 at 12:21 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #10

Liked 29 Times on 15 Posts

And yet another woman fires warning shots to scare perps away and gets 20 years. It's a sick system