Empire State Building shooting - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media >

Empire State Building shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
I found this on another site, posted by retired NYPD cop. He says the guns are not all that much fun to shoot. This link goes to an explanation of why.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/08/foghorn/nypds-choice-of-firearm-may-have-contributed-to-the-terrible-shooting/
Man, that's pitiful. To enforce a 12-pound trigger pull for every shot. No wonder they couldn't hit the perp. Another brilliant decision by the politically correct brass in the NYPD. So instead of getting burnt for negligent discharge, they get burnt for poor marksmanship. Proving once again, that you don't have to be smart to be in charge.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #82

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
I found this on another site, posted by retired NYPD cop. He says the guns are not all that much fun to shoot. This link goes to an explanation of why.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/08/foghorn/nypds-choice-of-firearm-may-have-contributed-to-the-terrible-shooting/
Reminds me of my old Sigma. I had to turn that thing sideways to hit the paper. That's when I realized why gangbangers do that.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 08-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #83

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo

Reminds me of my old Sigma. I had to turn that thing sideways to hit the paper. That's when I realized why gangbangers do that.
My sigma has a 12 lb pull as well.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #84

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:

This sounds like such a lack of trust from the top on down.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

The really sad thing about this is those two cops were/are on anti-terrorist duty. God help the poor people of downtown Manhattan if any real terrorists show up.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #86

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
This sounds like such a lack of trust from the top on down.
Of course it is. The extreme libs like Bloomberg only trust other extreme libs and don't feel that us peasants have a brain in our heads and to people like him the cops are just peasants too.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have a hard time understanding how people like that get elected. How can any multi-billionaire royalty figure have any regard for the general public? Sometimes I wonder if they even count the votes in NYC or Chicago.
Plus, Bloomberg is suffering from delusions of adequacy. Telling everyone what size soft drinks they have to buy, what to eat, when to eat. The cops should just ignore that crap and get their own guns and have them tuned on their own dime, and carry them as "backups". When the SHTF use their own guns, then empty the issue gun and say they ran the issue gun dry and had to resort to the backup.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 08-28-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #88
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
Of course it is. The extreme libs like Bloomberg only trust other extreme libs and don't feel that us peasants have a brain in our heads and to people like him the cops are just peasants too.
To them the cop is a hired gun and nobody with a gun is to be trusted. They have wrapped the cowardliness in the guise of idealism. They are hypocrites in that they surround themselves with armed guards but deny protection to those who can not afford guards.
People Like This 
Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It is also pure BS for the media to make an international incident of the event. The facts are that some idiot shot an enemy, the cops made a fiasco out of shooting the perp. That's all. Why should that result in an outcry for banning guns? It's just another example of the "free" press jumping on every opportunity to push the antigunners' agenda. Nothing more.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #90
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

From one of New York's finest (and I can confirm that cops up near me are generally terrible on firearm safety, marksmanship and understanding the law).

One of NYPD's finest sounds off on training and other issues. (No wonder they can't hit the broad side of a barn.)

I'm posting this here instead of politics or AMA because I'd rather talk about gun side of things because I want to answer and discuss issues NYPD officer here to answer any questions. Here are some facts:

• Every officer hired since the introduction of pistols in the NYPD back in the early nineties is NOT allowed to use a revolver as their service weapon. They must choose between a Glock 19, S&W 5946, or a Sig P226. All of these guns are in DAO variant and have NO external safety.
  • Everyone who is allowed to carry a gun in the department (not everyone is) has to re-qualify once every six months (give or take, it's been as short as five and as long as nine sometimes).
  • MOST NYPD officers fire their FIRST gun, ever in their entire lives, at the police academy, some as young as 21 to as old as 35 shooting for their very first time, and on a DAO pistol.
  • The qualifications are HORRIBLE (and) get dumbed down every year.
  • The NYPD offers once a month training for members to use, on their own time. However, all that is done during these sessions are the same basic dumbed down qualification exercises. You will only receive real help if you outright fail. Missed 12 out of fifty @ 7 yards? GOOD ENOUGH!
  • Our tactical training is a joke and maybe ten people in a department of 34K have had Active Shooter training (I'm not exaggerating).

There is a lot broken, basically.

Some of our members NEVER take their service weapons out of their gun belts, and never carry ANYTHING off duty. I've seen people with 3 years on have brown rusted rear sights. Some never clean their weapons unless forced to by the firearms unit.

The NYPD has been tight fisted with ammo for the longest time. Take your one box and be happy.

I'll answer any questions you guys have.

PS: Our holsters are sh*t also.
dog2000tj Likes This