Empire State Building shooting - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Empire State Building shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #41
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoey View Post
Gun grabbers are going to be all over this.
Of course they will be. That's all they know. Logic, facts, history - none of that matters. Only their inane notion that if the government makes it impossible for law-abiding citizens to own guns, that ALL guns will magically disappear. These people are what we call "stupid".

They never even consider the ramifications of giving the government a monopoly on force.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #42

Liked 4788 Times on 2316 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Were luck that shooter did not have a hi cap magazine...

NYPD might have had to shoot MANY MORE civilians to bring him down!

Ass Hats!

Tack

Old 08-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #43
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Were luck that shooter did not have a hi cap magazine...

NYPD might have had to shoot MANY MORE civilians to bring him down!

Ass Hats!

Tack
Oh, dude. I confess to laughing at that and then immediately feeling bad about doing so.

I'm not sure if you've ever been in Manhattan at a busy time of day, but it's literally wall-to-wall people. It would be hard not to tag a bystander in some situations.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Oh, dude. I confess to laughing at that and then immediately feeling bad about doing so.

I'm not sure if you've ever been in Manhattan at a busy time of day, but it's literally wall-to-wall people. It would be hard not to tag a bystander in some situations.
I felt bad posting it but it's the truth. I expect trained proffesional LEO's to act in the public's best interest, not go all "guns a blazing" because a nut job gives them a reason...

A lone shooter surrounded by several LEO's with "wall to wall" civilians in the middle sound like an excellent time to exercise discresion, back off, and hopefully tail the suspect to a safer location where he can be engaged.

What's the worst that happens??? He grabs a hostage? Ok, now you have 1 civilian in danger instead of 8 shot.

Sorry BKT, not venting at you brother...but I see better judgement from NOOB's on the firing line durring my RSO duty days than what I saw displayed in NY by "supposedly" the BEST Law Enforcement Officers in the World...

What a dissapointing joke that proffesion has become.

Tack
Old 08-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #45

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoey View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/24/empire-state-building-sho_n_1827534.html?1345815551&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D196572

Mayor Bloomberg's ban on guns did not prevent this from happening, why is everyone so quick to blame the NRA for situations like this? It makes my blood BOIL!
This has to be completely fabricated. New York hast to be about the safest city on earth due to their spectacular fire arms laws. Keep everyone safe.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #46

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I felt bad posting it but it's the truth. I expect trained proffesional LEO's to act in the public's best interest, not go all "guns a blazing" because a nut job gives them a reason...

A lone shooter surrounded by several LEO's with "wall to wall" civilians in the middle sound like an excellent time to exercise discresion, back off, and hopefully tail the suspect to a safer location where he can be engaged.

What's the worst that happens??? He grabs a hostage? Ok, now you have 1 civilian in danger instead of 8 shot.

Sorry BKT, not venting at you brother...but I see better judgement from NOOB's on the firing line durring my RSO duty days than what I saw displayed in NY by "supposedly" the BEST Law Enforcement Officers in the World...

What a dissapointing joke that proffesion has become.

Tack
Don't apologize, NYPD street cops are some of the most incompetently trained and awful shooters you will ever come across. This incident is not all that surprising and it occurs more frequently than people realize. Years ago NYPD got into a running gun battle with a bank robber, hitting bystanders and killing one on her doorstep. IIRC they fired off something like 76+ rounds while chasing the criminal for about 3 blocks.

The best thing that could happen to increase the safety in NYC is to immediately remove firearms from it's beat cops As for Bloomberg, of course he considers NYC safe, he travels around with an 86 man armed security team at all times

Now why doesn't NYC have a ban on bystanders? I mean really, how are criminals and LEO supposed to fight it out with all those people justing milling around

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 08-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #47

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Ummm. What!?

Quote:
Several were likely hit by police bullets that ricocheted off large, anti-terror concrete flower pots stationed outside the Manhattan landmark, police said.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 08-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #48
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 3902

Default Dramatic Surveillance of the shooting

Found this on the blaze.

Scroll down to the video.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/dramatic-surveillance-footage-shows-police-fatally-shooting-empire-state-building-shooter-graphic/

The bystanders likely were hit by police officers’ stray gunfire, some of it bullets that rebounded off planters in front of the skyscraper and grazed pedestrians. The two officers fired 16 shots. The surveillance video shows Johnson pointing his weapon at police, but it’s likely he did not get a chance to fire, investigators said.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2115 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 3186

Looks like the perp never shot at the police; it appears to be collateral damage by the NYPD. Let a concealed weapons carrying citizen shoot bystanders while protecting himself and see how fast the police arrest him.

How will Bloomberg spin this spray and pray incident?

http://news.yahoo.com/civilians-hurt-nyc-gunfire-highlight-dangers-233856647.html

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — The nine people believed injured by stray police gunfire outside the Empire State Building were not the first to learn how dangerous a crowded street can be in a gunfight.

Civilians occasionally find themselves in harm's way when officers use deadly force, though usually only a handful of times annually. When that happens, a rigid process of investigation is set in motion — and the police department can reasonably expect a lawsuit.

The latest episode came when police say a man disgruntled over losing his job a year ago shot a former colleague to death and pointed his weapon at two police officers in the shadow of a major tourist attraction.

He apparently wasn't able to fire before police killed him, one firing off seven rounds and the other nine. Bystanders suffered graze wounds, and some were struck by concrete gouged from buildings by the bullets, authorities said. At least one person said he was actually hit by a bullet.

Robert Asika, a 23-year-old tour guide who was hit in the right arm, said he was "100 percent positive" he was shot by a police officer.

A witness told police that laid-off clothing designer Jeffrey Johnson fired at officers, but ballistics evidence so far contradicts that, authorities said.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Looks like the perp never shot at the police; it appears to be collateral damage by the NYPD. Let a concealed weapons carrying citizen shoot bystanders while protecting himself and see how fast the police arrest him.

How will Bloomberg spin this spray and pray incident?

http://news.yahoo.com/civilians-hurt-nyc-gunfire-highlight-dangers-233856647.html
Easy...he'll demand a 900 Billion dollar federal grant to coat all exposed concrete surfaces below 2 stories in height with special "non spawl" coating to prevent officers bullets from sending shrapnel into innocent bystanders.

After all, it's to protect the children...

Tack