Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Empire State Building shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Pretty revealing.

NEVER FORGET

Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #92

Liked 4550 Times on 2200 Posts
Likes Given: 1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I have a hard time understanding how people like that get elected. How can any multi-billionaire royalty figure have any regard for the general public? Sometimes I wonder if they even count the votes in NYC or Chicago.
Plus, Bloomberg is suffering from delusions of adequacy. Telling everyone what size soft drinks they have to buy, what to eat, when to eat. The cops should just ignore that crap and get their own guns and have them tuned on their own dime, and carry them as "backups". When the SHTF use their own guns, then empty the issue gun and say they ran the issue gun dry and had to resort to the backup.
ROFLMAO! "Delusions of Adequacy!" that's fricken hilarious!

Tack

Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #93

Liked 4550 Times on 2200 Posts
Likes Given: 1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
From one of New York's finest (and I can confirm that cops up near me are generally terrible on firearm safety, marksmanship and understanding the law).

One of NYPD's finest sounds off on training and other issues. (No wonder they can't hit the broad side of a barn.)

I'm posting this here instead of politics or AMA because I'd rather talk about gun side of things because I want to answer and discuss issues NYPD officer here to answer any questions. Here are some facts:

• Every officer hired since the introduction of pistols in the NYPD back in the early nineties is NOT allowed to use a revolver as their service weapon. They must choose between a Glock 19, S&W 5946, or a Sig P226. All of these guns are in DAO variant and have NO external safety.
  • Everyone who is allowed to carry a gun in the department (not everyone is) has to re-qualify once every six months (give or take, it's been as short as five and as long as nine sometimes).
  • MOST NYPD officers fire their FIRST gun, ever in their entire lives, at the police academy, some as young as 21 to as old as 35 shooting for their very first time, and on a DAO pistol.
  • The qualifications are HORRIBLE (and) get dumbed down every year.
  • The NYPD offers once a month training for members to use, on their own time. However, all that is done during these sessions are the same basic dumbed down qualification exercises. You will only receive real help if you outright fail. Missed 12 out of fifty @ 7 yards? GOOD ENOUGH!
  • Our tactical training is a joke and maybe ten people in a department of 34K have had Active Shooter training (I'm not exaggerating).

There is a lot broken, basically.

Some of our members NEVER take their service weapons out of their gun belts, and never carry ANYTHING off duty. I've seen people with 3 years on have brown rusted rear sights. Some never clean their weapons unless forced to by the firearms unit.

The NYPD has been tight fisted with ammo for the longest time. Take your one box and be happy.

I'll answer any questions you guys have.
PS: Our holsters are sh*t also.
...and ^^THIS^^ is why I step back every time an LEO steps UP to the Firing Line.

Unless it happened to be Robo...and I'd know because the metal suit and COOL thigh holster would give him away!

Tack

Old 08-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #94

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/08/28/bloomberg-defends-nypd-officers-in-empire-state-building-shooting/

Quote:
Bloomberg said it’s “sad” that passersby were injured but, on occasion, bullets fragment, ricochet and hit unintended targets.
I want to see these so called fragments that ricocheted? I wonder of they pulled any whole slugs out of any of the victims? I sure hope more video of the scene comes out, maybe some other angles

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #95
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5639 Times on 2788 Posts
Likes Given: 5999

"Everyone who is allowed to carry a gun in the department (not everyone is) has to re-qualify once every six months (give or take, it's been as short as five and as long as nine sometimes)."

Reminds me of the Cooks and REMF's in the Army. Many qualified with a Skillcraft pen (you can tell by the perfect holes in the targets), even the blind folks that made the pens shot better than them! Really screwed them up when the new Popup Ranges became automated and they couldnt qualify anymore with penmanship!

When your job is to carry a badge, serve and protect the folks in your district every day, your mandatory firearms training really should be more than a twice a year qual! Maybe NYC should institute a Britain like ban and make the cops carry clubs instead of Handguns they dont know how to use!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/08/28/bloomberg-defends-nypd-officers-in-empire-state-building-shooting/

I want to see these so called fragments that ricocheted? I wonder of they pulled any whole slugs out of any of the victims? I sure hope more video of the scene comes out, maybe some other angles
It's a good thing it was cops who wounded the bystanders. If it had been Joe Blow Citizen, he'd go to jail for reckless endangerment, possessing a gun during commission of a crime, possessing and carrying a gun, disorderly conduct, etc, etc. And Bloomberg would be expounding on "this is why guns are illegal in NYC".

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 08-29-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #97
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5639 Times on 2788 Posts
Likes Given: 5999

Quote:
It's a good thing it was cops who wounded the bystanders. If it had been Joe Blow Citizen, he'd go to jail for reckless endangerment, possessing a gun during commission of a crime, possessing and carrying a gun, disorderly conduct, etc, etc. And Bloomberg would be expounding on "this is why guns are illegal in NYC".
Hard to figure out who the good guys are sometimes, no white and black hats in real life drama or trauma! If you pull a weapon in defense in NYC, your a criminal too! I dont carry, never have; where I live others do and that is good enough a deterrent so I dont need to carry. I wont live or visit places where that disarming every non criminal is the rule. Might as well build a cement wall around my world and telecommute. NYC aint no place for me but I love upstate!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #98

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
I have a hard time understanding how people like that get elected. How can any multi-billionaire royalty figure have any regard for the general public? Sometimes I wonder if they even count the votes in NYC or Chicago.
Plus, Bloomberg is suffering from delusions of adequacy. Telling everyone what size soft drinks they have to buy, what to eat, when to eat. The cops should just ignore that crap and get their own guns and have them tuned on their own dime, and carry them as "backups". When the SHTF use their own guns, then empty the issue gun and say they ran the issue gun dry and had to resort to the backup.

that's just it tho.........most of the sheeple that live in new yuck want/need to be told to wake up in the morning, eat when they are told, go to work when they are told, eat again when they are told, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, ETC, ETC.

"lambs to the slaughter" wasn't a phrase that came to be known because of the people's wise and skeptical ways, but rather for their naivety and foolish panderin.

these sheeple elect and "re-" elect politicians like these because they don't want to "hassle" themselves with the burden of takin full responsibility for themselves.............thus they will sacrifice their liberty and well-being for a little bit of "promised security" thereby puttin their lives in the hands of those that will gladly accept it and do little to actually help them,...............other than to enact and enforce more laws and regulations that they (the sheeple) must feed on........and the cycle continues from generation to generation.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 08-29-2012 at 09:57 PM.
m72law Likes This 
Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #99
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Thanks USEBOTHANDS
I guess the residents of the 2 crime capitals of the U.S. are happy to trust the untrustworthy "authorities". They probably happily cooperate with the TSA, too.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #100
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1613 Times on 842 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

Quote:
Thanks USEBOTHANDS
I guess the residents of the 2 crime capitals of the U.S. are happy to trust the untrustworthy "authorities". They probably happily cooperate with the TSA, too.
AND "the 2 crime capitals of the U.S." are:

That’s right! They’re Detroit and St. Louis!

(At least for violent crime in cities over 250K per 100k people in 2010 according to the FBI. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate)