Don't mess with a man of God who's packing!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Don't mess with a man of God who's packing!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 703 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 1464

Default Don't mess with a man of God who's packing!!

This is beyond cool!!;
Indiana pastor pulls gun on man, stops robbery
By Daniella Silva, NBC News

A pistol-packing pastor helped foil a stick-up when he pulled his handgun on a man trying to rob an Indiana discount store Friday night, police said.

Pastor Carl Sanders, who has a permit to carry a firearm, managed to hold the suspect at the Dollar General Store in Evansville on the until police arrived.

Evansville Police said Jermaine Dewayne Marshall, 25, walked into the store and, with a bandanna over his face and an unknown object wrapped in plastic in his hand, demanded money from a worker at the register. The employee refused.
"Marshall tells the individual again to open the register and points this object he's trying to pass off as a firearm at the employee," said Capt. Andy Chandler of the Evansville Police Department.
When the clerk refused again, Marshall struck him several times in the face.

That's when Pastor Sanders walked into the store.

Sanders told NBC affiliate WFIE Evansville that Marshall came at him with what appeared to be a gun wrapped in plastic.
"He was telling me to get on the ground," Sanders told WFIE. "That's when I pulled my weapon and say, 'No, you get on the ground. I laid my life down for some people, knowing they were going to be OK," Sanders said, adding that Marshall "didn’t deserve to be hurt, I wasn't going to hurt him, but I wanted him to know you can't do this."

Sanders called the police and kept Marshall covered until police arrived, Chandler said. Police discovered that Marshall had been trying to pass off a spoon wrapped in a plastic bag as a firearm.
No one in the store was reported injured.

Full story; http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/21/21063199-indiana-pastor-pulls-gun-on-man-stops-robbery?lite

...and reported by NBC no less. Gives me hope for this country.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #2

Liked 2474 Times on 1607 Posts

Default pastor foils robbery

Ksdk.com

Carl sanders, a pastor, walked into a dollar general while it was being robbed. The bad dude was holding something like a gun in a plastic bag, when the pastor walked in. Carl pulled his pistol and ended the bad guys plans for easy money.

Feral cat waterboarder

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #3

Mods, please close. Nc1760 beat me by a minute, with links too.

Feral cat waterboarder

People Like This 
Old 10-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #4

You beat me to it by one minute.

Moral of the story: a spoon in hand isn't mightier than a pistol, especially when the big guy is watching.

Feral cat waterboarder

People Like This 
Old 10-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5747 Times on 3002 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Mods, please close. Nc1760 beat me by a minute, with links too.
Your shame for no links shall be preserved in this thread!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

Your shame for no links shall be preserved in this thread!!
On a Droid, no linky

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Please excuse me for saying this, but the pastor was a fool. If that had been a gun wrapped in the plastic the pastor could have been at least injured and the robber could have scored a back-up piece. I don't care if it was a copy of Famous French War Heroes wrapped in that plastic. If a reasonable person could believe it was a gun, then legally it was a gun. When the robber turned it on the pastor it was time for him to defend himself.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Please excuse me for saying this, but the pastor was a fool. If that had been a gun wrapped in the plastic the pastor could have been at least injured and the robber could have scored a back-up piece. I don't care if it was a copy of Famous French War Heroes wrapped in that plastic. If a reasonable person could believe it was a gun, then legally it was a gun. When the robber turned it on the pastor it was time for him to defend himself.
I see your point doc, but you are calling a pastor a fool for not killing an unarmed man.

Feral cat waterboarder

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I see your point doc, but you are calling a pastor a fool for not killing an unarmed man.

Oh now that is tasty. Should a man of god, sworn to see the best in humanity, assume that lethal force is the first choice? Take away true faith and conviction. Then its just one scared man against another. What would Jesus do? Seriously, I'm asking that.

BTW. Props to the pastor for treading the line. Not an easy call for anyone.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
People Like This 
Old 10-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21641 Times on 12276 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the pastor did the right thing in some ways, with the fact that he was lucky that it wasn't a real gun. had it been, there is the chance he could have been hurt or killed. maybe he was following his instincts in doing it the way he did. even had he shot the man, he would have been justified IMO, because the man had just attempted a robbery and also committed assault on the clerk, and most any reasonable person would be able to think the man was armed.

in this scenario, i don't think there is a right or wrong answer. there are many different ways this could have turned out, other than the way it did. for the pastor, maybe it's better for his own peace of mind that it did turn out the way it turned out by him not shooting an unarmed robber.