Denny's denies detectives - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Denny's denies detectives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
Well, we wouldn't want the officers to be able to defend themselves when the crack-head they busted last week, who's out on bail, was walking by and saw and decided to seek his own revenge against them, because...afterall, they are off duty and not being paid. We only trust them and allow them to defend themselves while they are "on the clock"
Why are they any different than anyone else that may have a need for protection? This would all be different if more law abiding folks had reasonable access to CCW. The issue here is that cops are not special...they are paid public servants and should have no special consideration above the pay check.

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 01-06-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
I don't wish for bad things... But it would've been funny if after they kicked out the cops, a crazy dude with a knife went Chinese style and started flipping out.
There is no law requiring Dennys to serve gun toting patrons. Sounds like they have no isssue with those on duty and in uniform.

The police department has a fudiciary responsibility to serve the public within its jurisdiction, whether they agree with that public or not.

So the expectation is that if and when this Dennys calls the police, they will get the same service as any other business in the community. Anything less would be unprofessional to say the least.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #33

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Hell no they don't have grits.
Interesting...

They serve grits here in Houston, Texas.

Maybe there isn't enough demand for grits where you are...?

eldar

Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #34

Liked 839 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1740

Just when you think the world around you can't get any more stupid....
Personally, I deal local whenever possible and I'm lucky enough to have a couple of Ma & Pa places that I would rather support anyway... and none of them have an issue with CCW... so for myself I screw a big chain retailer when I can !!
It's offical though... we have fallen through a wormhole and are currently in Bizzaro World..... and life for right now am NOT GOOD!!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5736 Times on 3361 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I had some grits from McDonald's recently; they weren't half bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Back before the political correctness killed free speech. Dennys was called Sambos. These were nice friendly coffee stops.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xwcuAAAAIBAJ&sjid=d80FAAAAIBAJ&pg=61 14,1913544&dq=sambos+denny%27s&hl=en

OK, i must admit i got a good laugh out of that, even if it wasn't exactly how Denny's got started.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #36

Liked 125 Times on 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Why are they any different than anyone else that may have a need for protection? This would all be different if more law abiding folks had reasonable access to CCW. The issue here is that cops are not special...they are paid public servants and shold have no special consideration above the pay check.
No, i don't think their need for self protection is any more important or more special than the average citizen, however, I would go as far as to say that an off-duty cop has a higher risk of safety than an average citizen, because the average citizen's job doesn't put a giant target on their back because the average citizen doesn't "pizz off bad guys" by arresting drug dealers, pimps, domestic abusers, gang bangers, etc. and taking them off the streets.

so I would argue that it's logical to believe that a police officer's life is in danger 24 hours a day, even if they only pull an 8 hour shift in the cruiser, and then make the connection that if we already believe police officers are "trusted" in that they have already gone through extensive background checks, personality tests, firearms training, and we trust them to carry a weapon openly, then they are already automatically qualified and trusted to carry one off duty concealed.

Why do we trust police to carry off duty but require the average citizen to acquire a permit? well, again, to get a job as a police officer one must pass an extensive criminal background check, they also have personality tests to determine that they are mentally stable, they have firearms training, the average citizen does not. ---Until the average citizen goes through the permit process, which includes....a background check, firearms training, etc. Hmmm....I'm seeing a parallel between an off duty cop and a licensed CCW holder

I agree with you though, that more law abiding citizens should have access to CCW permits. Every state should be a "Shall Issue" state. I don't mind requiring a CCW permit, so that everyone has a more extensive background check, because I don't want criminals to be lawfully armed.

--caveat: I don't have full confidence in the NICS check that FFL dealers call in when buying a gun to find a person's full criminal background. My sister is an office admin/assistant with the deputy sheriff and plays a part in the background checks for CCW permits. She's denied several people their permit because she found criminal history in their background, but yet these people were allowed to legally buy a firearm at a dealer. Apparently not every precinct is diligent in submitting paperwork to the national database, because the call to the national database revealed no history, but they also call to the local sheriffs department for every county you've ever lived in since age 18 to run your history through all the "local" computers. Sometimes those checks result in the discovery of a criminal past.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #37

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Orange didn't say how they started. Sambos became Dennys. There is only one Sambos left. The Sambos in Santa Barbara, Ca. continues to operate. The family owners moved to a more free state Utah.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #38

Liked 2062 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 1361

Illinios does not have concealed carry from what I understand. I believe they are the only state left that doesn't. So that sould have told the idiot manager that they were either cops or criminals. Either way, not someone I would want to try to disarm.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

orangello Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #39

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
Why do we trust police to carry off duty but require the average citizen to acquire a permit? well, again, to get a job as a police officer one must pass an extensive criminal background check, they also have personality tests to determine that they are mentally stable, they have firearms training, the average citizen does not. ---Until the average citizen goes through the permit process, which includes....a background check, firearms training, etc. Hmmm....I'm seeing a parallel between an off duty cop and a licensed CCW holder.
In many locations, LEO's are required to carry some kind of weapon 24/7. That's because in many locations, LEO assistance is 20, 25, 30 or even 45 minutes away.

Many LEO's are on call 24 hours every day, even when they are off duty.

In regards to carry permits ~ I prefer New Hampshire's requirements. Be a resident of the State, carry whatever you want. Live Free or Die ~ Their State's motto.

eldar

Last edited by eldarbeast; 01-04-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #40

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Free States of Alaska, Arizona and Wyoming allow open or concealed carry to their residents. They do not require CCW Permits. They will however issue a permit if you Travel to other states. New Hampshire does not offer Carry Permits for out of state travel.