Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Debunking Magazine Capacity Limits.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
customammo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
To this day, some 40 years later, I still carry ammo in my right front pocket. It's how I was trained, it's how I practiced, and it seems to be a reflex to reach there during rapid fire. Whether it's a loaded magazine or loose rounds for my revolver, the right front pocket is my primary storage space. You want to know the funny part? I absolutely hate the idiots that trained us this way.
Oh yeah I know all too well what you mean about the idiot ways we were trained, there are a lot of things I was trained that I hate too but it is so engrained into me I just can't help it and it is how I do things.... Either way, all it is is muscle memory, practice and practice and practice a certain way enough and you can do it. I have a buddy that thought he was soooo fast with his speed reloaders with his revolver, .357 mag..... well I usually use my .44 mag and challenged him I could still reload single rounds in my pocket faster than he could with his speed loader because it was all about the practice, training and muscle memory.... I made him a believer of it when I loaded and fired 3 times to his 2 and all my rounds were still center mass when his were all over.... not trying to brag, I know there are way better revolver shooters out there than me, but it was just to make a simple point. I know there are revovler shooters out there that can probably reload and shoot 3 or more to my 1, but once again, they practice it
__________________
customammo72 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by customammo72 View Post
Oh yeah I know all too well what you mean about the idiot ways we were trained, there are a lot of things I was trained that I hate too but it is so engrained into me I just can't help it and it is how I do things.... Either way, all it is is muscle memory, practice and practice and practice a certain way enough and you can do it.
The funny part is that even though it has no real world application, it still works. I can reload much faster out of my pocket than I can with a speed loader. The only thing I have to remember is that the right front pocket is reserved for ammo, and only ammo. No keys, no change, no lifesavers, which really sucks because it's the natural place for a right handed person to store all that stuff.

Another one I hated was that stupid crouch down and fire from the hip thing. Why would any right thinking officer crouch down and put his head where dead center mass was a second ago? I can do the hip shooting thing, but I'll be darned if I'm going to put my head where my vest used to be.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
customammo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Another one I hated was that stupid crouch down and fire from the hip thing. Why would any right thinking officer crouch down and put his head where dead center mass was a second ago? I can do the hip shooting thing, but I'll be darned if I'm going to put my head where my vest used to be.
Ha ha ha that one was so stupid, watched a guy put a round down his leg and blow his kneecap off due to trying to shoot that way one time, that was the end of that crap on the range quite quickly....
__________________
customammo72 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
customammo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

You know the part that pissed me off more than anything about all that crap honestly was the fact that the people that came up with these different tables of fire and positions to shoot from blah blah blah have never had to actually do it themselves and also were higher ups that never played in the world of a street officer and apply correct tactics to get the job done right. Some of that stuff makes people feel so cool cuz they are shooting all this trick crap or whatever but when they hit the real world they realize that crap does not work at all and is no where near practical. I only train what I have used and what has worked for me over my years of actual experience and even still tell people that just because some of these things work for me they may not work for everybody.

__________________
customammo72 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by customammo72 View Post
You know the part that pissed me off more than anything about all that crap honestly was the fact that the people that came up with these different tables of fire and positions to shoot from blah blah blah have never had to actually do it themselves and also were higher ups that never played in the world of a street officer and apply correct tactics to get the job done right.
You find that pretty much anywhere. When I switched over to rescue work the state still didn't recognize paramedic level skills. We were "licensed" in our county by our docs, who acted as our medical directors. Our first draft SOP's read like a how-to for fourth year residents, including getting lab and x-ray results before treating a patient. Like that's really practical 20 miles away from the hospital.

Back to firearms. I taught my daughter to hit the target. I make her practice with both hands, and I taught her about cover and concealment. I don't care how she hits the target as long as she does it quickly. I didn't teach her any of the BS we went through, but I did demonstrate it for her. She was less than impressed.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Seattle
Posts: 37
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Found the video disapointing.....
Really ... how many of these wack job shooters bring a barrel some kind of stand with them so the next mag is 18 inches directly below the gun. Sorry this is so clearly not a realistic demo.. this hurts the argument. Just as if someonw put out a video where someone was tackled successfully every time they reload.

The AZ shooter was stopped when he had problems reloading.. Smaller mags for many of these types would create an opening.. if someone was armed or in close quarters

And the magazine limits will not be as effective as they could be until you allow armed, trained, screen professionals in the schools as guards or designated staff willing to get proficient at use of a good firearm.

A good argument has to talk about the fact that the 7 or even 10 limits make the bad assumption that in a self-defense situation all the rounds hit the target.. which does not happen. How many bullets do you need.. how good a shooter is your wife, daughter, mother, son, etc.?

__________________

Ken -- Washington the State --
Newer gun owner = Sig Mosquito


Last edited by Ken_inWA; 03-30-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Ken_inWA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
customammo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
You find that pretty much anywhere. When I switched over to rescue work the state still didn't recognize paramedic level skills. We were "licensed" in our county by our docs, who acted as our medical directors. Our first draft SOP's read like a how-to for fourth year residents, including getting lab and x-ray results before treating a patient. Like that's really practical 20 miles away from the hospital.
Yeah that's just rediculous and what I hate, you write our SOP's but the crap you put in them is just not practical for the real world of what we can do and how things really work, stupidness at its finest.
__________________
customammo72 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
customammo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Back to firearms. I taught my daughter to hit the target. I make her practice with both hands, and I taught her about cover and concealment. I don't care how she hits the target as long as she does it quickly. I didn't teach her any of the BS we went through, but I did demonstrate it for her. She was less than impressed.
That's what counts the most, cover and concealment and the ability to hit your target quickly, other than that, it's just BS and I am not surprised she wasn't impressed with the demonstrations.... it only takes a little common sense to realize that it's crap and just won't work in the real world
__________________
customammo72 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ClemsonSCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 137
Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_inWA
Found the video disapointing.....
Really ... how many of these wack job shooters bring a barrel some kind of stand with them so the next mag is 18 inches directly below the gun. Sorry this is so clearly not a realistic demo.. this hurts the argument. Just as if someonw put out a video where someone was tackled successfully every time they reload.

The AZ shooter was stopped when he had problems reloading.. Smaller mags for many of these types would create an opening.. if someone was armed or in close quarters

And the magazine limits will not be as effective as they could be until you allow armed, trained, screen professionals in the schools as guards or designated staff willing to get proficient at use of a good firearm.

A good argument has to talk about the fact that the 7 or even 10 limits make the bad assumption that in a self-defense situation all the rounds hit the target.. which does not happen. How many bullets do you need.. how good a shooter is your wife, daughter, mother, son, etc.?
I don't care anything about guards or more LEO in schools. I want to be able to carry MY gun at school. Students, not just teachers.

And how many rounds you NEED in a mag or how many rounds are too dangerous is irrelevant. Limiting mag capacities is just another way the gov't is wiping their ass with the Constitution.
__________________
ClemsonSCJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CHLChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 2,523
Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

I, for one, am not very fast with reloads, but that's because I have never trained for speed. Anybody in the planning phase for a mass shooting would absolutely take some time and thought to prepare for anything. Even a double-barrel shotgun and a bag of shells can be run pretty fast by someone who practices a lot.

__________________
.45acp, .40 S&W, 9mm, .38 Spl, .380 acp, 22lr
12 gauge, .223/5.56x45mm, 30-30 Winchester


2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
CHLChris is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Simple Explanation of Magazine Capacity Limits CA357 Legal and Activism 10 02-14-2013 01:23 AM
Are there magazine limits in MN? getem2011 Minnesota Gun Forum 2 01-21-2013 09:19 PM
What exactly is a Hi capacity magazine? gunnut07 The Club House 21 08-10-2012 09:18 PM
Ohio Laws? Magazine round limits? ineedagoodername Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 8 11-30-2011 10:10 AM
Magazine Ammo Limits canebrake Legal and Activism 45 02-26-2011 02:19 AM