Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearms in the Media (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f169/)
-   -   Criminals keep guns, Farmers have them taken away (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f169/criminals-keep-guns-farmers-have-them-taken-away-70879/)

danf_fl 08-22-2012 03:05 PM

Criminals keep guns, Farmers have them taken away

The Honduras government thinks they have a good reason to ban firearms.

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/22/13410446-farmers-clash-with-police-in-honduras-over-right-to-bear-arms?lite

gmaster456 08-23-2012 12:45 AM

That's because the government is corrupt. Drug trade brings them money. As is the case with many Central/south american countries.

danf_fl 08-23-2012 08:58 AM

When I think of the US and how they could try this tactic here......

Oh yeah, Chicago is doing that now.

bigjim 08-27-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

When I think of the US and how they could try this tactic here......

What part of the 1,800's American History did you miss? The resettlement of Native Ameicans and the taking of their lands?,( SD, OH, ND, SD and MT), the taking of FL from Spain? The civil war and reconstruction?, the war with Mexico and the taking of their land?(CA, NM, AZ, NV) The Spanish American war? (where do you think Puerto Rico came from?) And iet us not forget our Texas friends, they would be upset. Remember the Alamo (that rocks)

NO, we would never do anything like that, (LOL) ya right.
Jim

downsouth 08-27-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjim

What part of the 1,800's American History did you miss? The resettlement of Native Ameicans and the taking of their lands?,( SD, OH, ND, SD and MT), the taking of FL from Spain? The civil war and reconstruction?, the war with Mexico and the taking of their land?(CA, NM, AZ, NV) The Spanish American war? (where do you think Puerto Rico came from?) And iet us not forget our Texas friends, they would be upset. Remember the Alamo (that rocks)

NO, we would never do anything like that, (LOL) ya right.
Jim

Although I agree with you, your history is a bit off.

You forgot the trail of tears from Southeast US to Oklahoma.

As for taking land from Mexico, that is just incorrect. Those territories were conceeded after the Mexican War under the treaty of Guadalupe Hidago(sp). Then we even paid the Mexican Government for the land when no payment was part of the treaty.

bigjim 08-27-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

treaty of Guadalupe Hidago(sp).
A treaty at gun point is not a treaty, if our troups weren't in Mexico City at the time, there would be no treaty. Forgive me I left my Financial Times at home, how much did we pay per million acres?

Jim

downsouth 08-27-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjim

A treaty at gun point is not a treaty, if our troups weren't in Mexico City at the time, there would be no treaty. Forgive me I left my Financial Times at home, how much did we pay per million acres?

Jim

How else does a treaty to end a war happen? US paid 15 million dollars for the Mexican territory that held less than 1% of the countries population. Alot of those people wanted American or British rule.

bigjim 08-27-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Alot of those people wanted American or British rule.
I can't blame them for wanting that considering what they had at the time. But as to the $15,000,000 it is a drop in the bucket when you consider the amount of Gold that was taken out of CA, the Copper from AZ, the salt from UT, the urainum from NM, the coal deposits in AZ, CO and UT. And lets not forget the oil resurves.

The point is that all this land including the eastern sea board of the US were taken at the point of a gun. So let's not be the pot calling the kettle black when talking about what other countries are doing.

Jim

Tackleberry1 08-27-2012 06:16 PM

America certainly has our past indiscretions however, until recently, the end result of these land grabs was the expansion of liberty because our constitution afforded far more freedom than Mexicos, Frances, Spains or Englands.

Many of our early policies on expansion and settlement were brutal bit our founders understood that we could not grow and prosper unfettered with European Super Powers amongst. Those wo could be bought out were, those who could not be bought were forced.

Negotiation OR force are the only two methods of resolving conflict and even having Native American Lineage does not give me pause or make me question the expansion and settlement of the North American Continent because despite it's atrocities it also paved the way for the greatest force of liberty the world has yet to see.

We are the Shining City on a Hill. We are the Modern Roman Empire.

...and we are grateful there will always be enough of us to ensure it endures with our readiness to stand and defend it from all enemies...be they foreign OR domestic.

Tack

bigjim 08-27-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

...and we are grateful there will always be enough of us to ensure it endures with our readiness to stand and defend it from all enemies...be they foreign OR domestic.
Tack, while I like your resolve and praise you patriotism, there are just not enough of us left. With over 1 billion muslims and over 4 billion Chiniese and two billion in India, we are just out numbered. Todays wars are fought with dollars and we are loosing. We no longer have the resovle to expend our loved ones in battles that we will lose, unless directly attached we will stand off and try to buy our way out of trouble. Not something to be proud of, but true. The Roman Empire is a bad example to follow, they were brutal, self serving, corrupt, POS that would send in the troops and kill every man, woman and child into a city for even one roman citizen being killed by accident. If you wheren't killed you were sold into slavery. Just not my type of people, I am glad they are gone.

Jim