Chalk one up for this off-duty officer

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Chalk one up for this off-duty officer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default Chalk one up for this off-duty officer

getting held up at a south side gas station by a few teenagers....

looked pretty quick on the draw to me....the whole thing goes down pretty fast actually....just like they always tell you....the clear copy is probably a great training video....

glad the officer made out ok......and two bad guys had to run from their dying cohort like the cowards they are...

http://www.policemag.com/channel/patrol/news/2014/02/11/video-off-duty-ill-sgt-shoot-kills-would-be-robber.aspx?utm_campaign=OnTarget-Tuesday-New-20140211&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #2

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

The question to me always becomes how to determine if the perp(s) are not paying attention and when to reach for your gun. Wrong timing and you could be the one lying on the ground.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 586

They were probably careless because they dont run into armed victims very often in IL. When FL went ccw the criminals started targeting rental cars so they would get unarmed visitors.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 02-12-2014 at 08:50 PM.
orangello Likes This 
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #4

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
The question to me always becomes how to determine if the perp(s) are not paying attention and when to reach for your gun. Wrong timing and you could be the one lying on the ground.
yeah, i think about the same thing myself. At least in my (non firearms related) experience, i think reactions for the most part only become natural when they're engrained in muscle memory....so i have to think a good portion of that comes from a lot of practice and training.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

wittmeba Likes This 
Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

This is precisely why I am against Open Carry in an urban area.
From a tactical and safety stand point the element of surprise is extremely important in a lethal confrontation.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 02-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1323 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Masad Ayoob, LE Trainer, author and professional witness for 30 years, has demonstrated in court several times that a person trained to draw smoothly can draw and fire twice before a person holding a gun on the shooter can discharge one round. He usually does this by having the bailiff hold a gun on him while he is CCWing an IWB holster. He tells the deputy to pull the trigger as soon as he feels in danger. Ayoob gets at least two shots off before the deputy consistently.

This is why practicing drawing at home is at least as important as shooting. The great thing is that you can practice drawing any time your vegging in front of the TV or computer. Unload your weapon, have someone else check it, then draw, press towards target, fire. You wouldn't believe how quickly you can become better than most LEO. Remember, this isn't the ol' West high noon shoot out - it's your life. Practice consistently and remember, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Don't try to be fast at first, just do it smoothly and without errors. Speed is a byproduct of perfect practice.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 02-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #7

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
This is precisely why I am against Open Carry in an urban area.
From a tactical and safety stand point the element of surprise is extremely important in a lethal confrontation.
But the flip-side is you may not have the confrontation in the first place. I'd rather avoid it but I will likely never open carry even though it is legal here in Va.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
They were probably careless because they dont run into armed victims very often in IL. When FL went ccw the criminals started targeting rental cars so they would unarmed visitors.
Criminals are usually very good at one thing - identifying victims. They have done it most of their life and adjusted when they got it wrong. They believe the people they pick are going to cower, surrender and do whatever they're told. They therefore concentrate on what valuables you have and demanding that you hand them over. Going for your gun is not suspicious because you're just getting something to give to them, i.e. Wallet, keys, cell phone, iPod, etc. if you are smooth in upholstering and firing, the criminal's mind takes a few milliseconds to change gears and that's just enough for you to have the advantage if you've practiced. You know you're in a shooting situation, he's concentrating on a robbery.

Practice at home for this very scenario - it is winnable. You can also prepare by having your EDC or BUG right where your wallet should be with something like this. These take extra practice but are huge on surprise.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 02-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Every gang-banger wannabe punk with a gun in Chicago should get exactly the same treatment.
A bullet to the head.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
But the flip-side is you may not have the confrontation in the first place. I'd rather avoid it but I will likely never open carry even though it is legal here in Va.
You may not be targetted by a criminal if carrying openly, but if he does, he and his friends are all ready for you. Any psychological advantage of being armed is gone. They either hope to take the gun, in which case you've armed criminals, or they want you to draw so they can shoot you. While OC may give you an advantage of not being targetted in the first place, the danger seems to be that the ones that will target you are ready for you and don't expect a non-violent outcome.

wittmeba Likes This