Ben Stein on gun control

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Ben Stein on gun control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ben Stein on gun control

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7418644n&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed &utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cbsnews%2Ffeed+(CBSNews.c om)

Always thought he is an intelligent man.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 94 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Well said, I met Ben Stein when I was working the door of a pub in 2002 in Cincinnati, OH. He walked up to the door in a trench coat said, hello, my name is Ben Stein, do you have a couple of books of matches, I gave them and he swiftly went on his way.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

Liked 45 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've heard lots of good common sense remarks come from him.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss View Post
Well said, I met Ben Stein when I was working the door of a pub in 2002 in Cincinnati, OH. He walked up to the door in a trench coat said, hello, my name is Ben Stein, do you have a couple of books of matches, I gave them and he swiftly went on his way.
I would have charged him.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #5

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

This x a million.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #6

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss View Post
Eh' After hearing him lately, I'd give him a few freebies, he's allowed to say things in public that we can't...or rather we can but no one cares lol.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #7

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

I don't see anything wrong with his dialog. He wasn't "for" gun control. He came off pro gun. He said it is a complex issue and that's true. What did you want him to do rant and rave about how wonderful guns are?

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
What did you want him to do rant and rave about how wonderful guns are?
Better him than nutty ole nugent. That guy rankles my nose.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

My respect for him declined somewhat when he openly laughed at Peter Schiff for accurately predicting the housing bubble bust. (Schiff made money, Stein took a big hit in the shorts.)

Stein is right as far as he takes this, but he doesn't take it where it needs to go.

The difference between small-town Idaho or any other rural location and big-city gangstaville is culture. In big cities, we have a mix of pansies who wouldn't dare risk their good names by trying to use physical violence against someone else even to save their own lives (we'll call these hyper-intelligent, super-wealthy (or so they regard themselves) people "idiots") and the "barbarians" who have been taught for generation upon generation that preying on the idiots and other barbarians is normal.

Neither behavior would be tolerated in small-town Idaho. The culture of both groups is anathema to the very idea of what it means to be a human being. But our big cities destroy that idea. These freaks - idiots and barbarians alike - truly don't know who or what they are. Any big-city idiot and big-city thug would fare equally badly among humans, or just out on their own in the wilderness.

Gun control laws seek to address urban violence. Those laws cannot be effective because they are premised on the idea that criminals obtain their guns the same way anyone else does: jump through a bunch of hoops, pay a lot, register your stuff, and off you go. Legislators, obviously, are of the "idiot" class. Until legislators demand the idiots arm themselves and execute the barbarians after being found guilty of heinous crimes, this lunacy will continue.

And to think...many folks want to do away with the electoral college which would let the idiots and barbarians determine who our elected leaders are.

Last edited by bkt; 08-20-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Better him than nutty ole nugent. That guy rankles my nose.
Nuge had my respect until he endorsed Romney. WTF was that all about?! I'm sure he had his reasons and I'm sure I wouldn't agree with them.